“Guess what they have that is free”

Holiday Inn Gent Expo
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Arrived and made to feel very welcome by the receptionist Jesse, spoke good English and made us feel very welcome, all the reception staff were exceptional.
And this Holiday Inn is ahead of others within the brand group, it has free internet access to those that are stopping within the hotel, no hidden or extra charges, it was free.
The food was great, although breakfast a little costly if not pre booked, did not like the car park charge, but that seems the way these days, although at the tram station across the road you can park for free.
The hotel is out of town but a simple pleasant tram ride into the centre of Gent that takes about 10 mins is great, no worries about finding car ark spaces in the city centre.
There is some upgrading, new carpets etc of rooms at the moment although we were in the opposite end of the hotel and not bothered by it , again for us this hotel as delivered , good service, friendly staff, good food, nice atmosphere and FREE INTERNET

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grahamol
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that Holiday Inn Gent Expo is replacing the carpet in the rooms in order to make your stay even more comfortable. The works will be finished by September. That is not all: we offer free WIFI in public areas, conference rooms and the bedrooms.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel during a week long trip to Belgium last week.

There are a lot of positives about this particular hotel:

1) Very convenient location just off the E40 (A10) halfway between Brugge and Brussel
2) Great advance deals available - I paid under 50euro plus tax on an 'advance rate'
3) Located next to an Ikea store: convenient for a value for money lunch
4) Free wi-fi available in your room
5) An empty fridge in your room to enable you to keep drinks and food cold

The biggest positive for me though was the enthusiastic welcome and dedicated service from a member of staff at the reception desk named Dominic. He surpassed what I have come to expect from hotel staff, (unfortunately these days), especially at hotels that are less than 5 Star rated. It was due to this member of staff that a hotel with good value room rates, great house-keeping/cleanliness and a convenient location/car park for a car driver, became more than just a good deal - it became a pleasurable experience.

I stayed at the Brussel hotel Crowne Plaza after this hotel for 2 nights, and although the staff were helpful and efficient at the Crowne Plaza, (and obviously the rooms were of a better standard), I actually enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Gent Expo more, due mainly to the excellent level of customer awareness I experienced and the great customer service provided in this value for money hotel...and genuinely friendly/welcoming staff!

The car park is charged at a 'flat' daily rate of 9.5euro and each time you leave the car park just collect a ticket from reception to exit. The 'outdoor' car park is on the lower ground level to the hotel reception. There are a limited number of spaces for disabled drivers in front of the entrance to the hotel reception and also a parking space for women: a great idea! I unloaded the car at this level and then parked at the lower ground floor level car park.

To make my review balanced, if I had to nit-pick, the water drained from the basin sink quite slowly...but hey, I have experienced that in the Hilton hotel in Anaheim, California!

One final point: on the morning that I checked out, I was careless enough to leave a small bag containing our passports and two Nintendo DS handsets in the hotel room. I drove 20km towards Brussel before I realized this! No problem...the cleaning staff were honest enough to set this aside, ready for collection. I am not sure that would have happened in my own country! Hoorah for the honest people of Belgium and the staff at the Holiday Inn Gent Expo!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank VeganLondon
genthotelier, General Manager at Holiday Inn Gent Expo, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. Costumer service is a very important value to us. A warm welcome and providing a caring service level to our guests is our priority. That you enjoyed your stay more with us then a Crown Plaza, due to the service minded staff, is the best complement you can ever offer us.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Every time we go to the Gentse Feesten, we take this hotel. It is far from the city centre but public transportation is 5 minutes walking from the hotel. So no stress to look for a parking. Just park your car on the P + R of Flanders Expo and get on the tram. Service and rooms are good. Rooms clean and not too small. Good value for the price. The only minus is the bar. Not very welcoming and rather cold.

Room Tip: nice if you do not want to pay a fortune for parking down town
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marja-Alain

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that Holiday Inn Gent Expo is a perfect location to visit 'the Gentse feesten': away from all the noise of the festival and easily accessible with the tram connection. No stress to park your car in the city centre. On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. The public areas are modern and clean (the atrium is very pleasant), and the room was nice too. Enough space for two and a decent sized-bathroom. The breakfast buffet is good although I would have liked more fresh vegetables to go with my eggs, bacon and croissants - it lets me pretend I'm eating healthy. You can make your own juice from fresh oranges, which is really nice. I wasn't impressed with the dinner menu - the food was unexciting and on the expensive side. I didn't really explore the surrounding area for other dinner options. Not sure if there's anything reasonable within walking distance.

The hotel is located next to the Gent Expo which was perfect for us. There's a convenient tram connection to town, and there's an Ikea next door in case you get a sudden craving for meatballs and Expedit shelving.

There's free Wlan that is kind of unstable but works well enough for checking e-mail on a phone, or you can pay and probably get a better connection.

Overall, it was a nice stay and I'd recommend this hotel to those who don't mind the location.

1  Thank flamedash

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that our large breakfast buffet is very attractive. However we already offer mushrooms and tomato as hot items plus fresh salad, tomato and carrot. We will discuss this with our head chef and see how we can extend our variety of vegetables. On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Excellent dinner in their restaurant in the atrium!
Recommened!
Large room, as a priory member you get free internet which is always nice!
No complaints!
Well done.

Room Tip: not sure if the windows can be opened in room that are facing the outside... if so, ask for those ro...
1  Thank pjspjs

Dear guest,
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that our food and beverage offer has a high standard. On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Hotel is quite far from the city centre but there is great tram connection straight to the old town. Staff at the reception is very helpful and friendly. Hotel atrium with restaurant is fabulous and I loved the daylight in the hotel. Food and beverage was excellent. Room was clean but little bit outdated compared to other hotel areas. Gent is a beautiful town and I'm looking forward to next visit.

2  Thank Petr S

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. It is correct that the tram connection next door the hotel into the city centre is very convenient and our food and beverage offer has a high standard. On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Just today we came home from 3 nights in this hotel.
The hotel is situated far from city centre, but close to motorways. If you are here only for Gent itself, I would recommend a hotel in town, allthough I have heard there is a great tram connection. If you, like us, use the hotel as a base for trips to other parts of Belgium, the hotel is idealy located.
Up on arrival we were welcomed by a very friendly receptionist who was very proffessional.
The rooms were spacious enough to have our kids in our room with us.
Quality was as expected from Holiday Inn. Nothing too fancy, but good for a few nights, and clean.
Breakfast buffet was ok. Quality of the food was good (except for the sausages), plenty on offering, and refilled where needed. No table service, but coffee from freshly grind beans and service was attentive. Good lay out, so there was no cue at the buffet at any time.
Dinner in the hotel was good. The lay out and design made it hard to create a cosy atmosphere, but service was very attentive and completely made up, and prices were reasonable. The restaurant is perfect for business travelers. No fancy dishes, no kids menu, but food was prepared well. Free wifi, up to 4 connections. No roomservice (except for breakfast), a fridge in the room, and minibar products available at the reception.
I think the €9,- per day for parking was a bargain.
The special low season deal we had made this stay a lot of value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Joost-Tammeling
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your kind feedback on our hotel. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with the services offered by our team. On behalf of the team of Holiday Inn Gent Expo, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.