Sandton Grand Hotel Reylof
$108
$143
$92
3,833 results
All reviewswellness centrespa facilitiesramengreat hotelsteam roomdeluxe roomsmall poolshort walkpublic parkinghotel restaurantcomfortable hotelexcellent stayold buildingexcellent breakfastcity centrelovely citycar park
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We only stayed here for one night and we were really impressed. We stayed in a modern room on the second floor overlooking the garden. Lovely pool and even better spa located in the annexe. Chose not to have breakfast in the hotel opting instead for the local deli just a bit further down the same road. The staff also were very helpful. Couldn't fault anything about our stay but as has been said before a little kettle in our room wouldn't have gone amiss for a drink upon arrival and before bedtime. Ghent is a very picturesque city with charming old buildings sitting pretty alongside the canals. It also has a plethora of trendy bars to soak up the atmosphere and savour some of the finest beers in the world. Will be back soon!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed here for New Years Eve and thoroughly enjoyed it. The hotel was clean, modern and the breakfast was great! There are two reasons though as to why I never awarded the 5 stars. First off no tea and coffee making facilities in the room. May sound trivial but makes such a difference after a long day travelling to be able to have a nice cup of tea in privacy. The second was the ridiculously slow reception staff. Not sure as to whether it was down to procedures but check in/out and general information was so slow. We almost missed our train due to having to wait almost 25 minutes to check out! Grievances aside, the Reylof is a very comfortable hotel in a lovely city. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2014

To be fair to the hotel the communal areas of the hotel are just as beautiful as the pictures, it's a lovely location and Ghent is a cool little spot to visit for a day or two

But I found the hotel staff rude and condescending. On our initial check in my room requests weren't accounted for and though they were able to accommodate a move in my room it was hardly with a spring in their step. They also didn't return the credit card they took for my incidentals (they allege I must have misplaced it - without really taking my request seriously to look into the matter- as a highly organised business owner I found this infuriating.)

And the owner of the spa was highly demanding of payment, after my treatment I assumed I could add the treatment costs to my room bill, when she explained it was a separate business my partner had to go and get a payment card (as my toenails were drying & I was a bit incapacitated) he arrived within 10 minutes during which time the spa owner came and moaned at me twice for payment. It was clear I wasn't going anywhere and after paying a 200 euro bill it would have been nice to have been spoken to with courtesy.

The deluxe room was also slightly disappointing with a distracting lime green stripy wallpaper and it wasn't of a very good size.

Overall this experience could have been a million times better with a few more smiles and a little less presumption

Room Tip: Request a room in the old part of the hotel- much nicer! New rooms have low ceilings and are a little dank
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hayley Q
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Had a wonderful 2 nights stay in this hotel. Hotel staff is friendly and knowledgeable providing good recommendations. One particular staff that stood out is Olaf who did our check in and extremely hospitable. He provided good advice on where to eat and go in Ghent. The bellhop was also very helpful and courteous.

The standard double room we stayed in was clean, well furnished and had a nice cosy feel to it. It was facing the courtyard which enhanced the ambience.

The common areas in the hotel had well appointed decor with the reading room and its fireplace providing a nice warm homely feel during winter.

The hotel is also walking distance to Ghent Centrum which was by far one of my favourite destinations during my recent trip to Europe.

I would stay here again on my next trip to Ghent. Great hotel with impeccable service.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sufuzzru
Reviewed February 1, 2014

My wife bought me a one night stay here for an anniversary/Christmas present. We had been to Brussels and Bruges before but I have to say, Ghent was absolutely lovely. Many of the old buildings have kept their facades intact including this hotel. It was comfortable, clean, the staff were very helpful and despite looking like an old hotel, combined the old features with modern style extremely well. Would stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple