“Great value, top class hotel.”

Sandton Grand Hotel Reylof
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We decided to stay in Gent instead of Brugge. Good decision. Gent is not to be missed. This hotel is the place to stay. It's a quality hotel, recently completed it looks like. We stayed here for 6 nights. Front staff very friendly and efficient. The decor is brilliant. We chose a balcony room on the 4th floor (top). The room was nicely fitted out (no tea or coffee facilities which is strange) but it does have a fridge. Bed was great and the bathroom first class. Breakfast is pricey, but good. The gym ok. A better pin weight machine should accompany this class of hotel. Make sure you go day one to the steam/sauna room. The steam room is amazing with a subtle changing coloured lighting on the floor and a menthol type fragrance. The accompanying heated pool with original dome is also a feature. Location wise this hotel is perfect for the centrum, but you will need a taxi from the train station (10€). Gent was a highlight, with lots of vegetarian options, nice galleries and shopping. The history amazing and the locals take great pride in everything they do and present. Get the 3 day Visitor Pass at the tourist centre. Only 20€ but we reckoned we tripled the value.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,681)

Reviewed June 14, 2012

just spent 3 nights in Gent in a very comfortable and luxurious hotel. Just a few blocks walk from the historical center, very large and clean room and bath ( loved the shower), helpful staff. Wellness center with pool, sauna and steam room that we had all to ourselves. We did not eat at the hotel, it seemed rather pricey and we like to explore anyway. The room could have used more hanging space, some drawers for clothes, and perhaps coffee in the room, but I would stay there again.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

2nd stay, first was on the second night of opening, it was obvious, the "teething stage" was present, that said my queries/concerns where noted, and the front desk manager Mr De Boodt, did everything he could at that time.
Well some 10 months later I returned, teething problems gone, rooms that were previously a building site now housed, clean contemporary luxury.
New editions such as breakfast buffet, which was excellent, plentiful dishes for all tastes, hmmm my wife noted the added inches on my return home. That damn chef and his Pastries.
Everything went fine in my 4 nights, the staff, (a trainee Jose Morihno porter, willing to share his sorely knowledge on football) I'm not sure about 6 players being at Chelsea from Belgium though, they are not quite the Barcelona he suggests, joking aside good humor, friendliness and quick response to any "issue".
It is contemporary elegance flowing throughout...

Now negatives the wellness is new and beautiful for those budding Michael Thorpe's, hmm pool is more a large Jacuzzi, hmm and borrow the umbrella from reception, it rains a lot in Belgium, hmmm and I live in England...

To conclude...
Excellent

Room Tip: The 1 I stayed in was new, bit then the hotel is only going 10 months.. So I should imagine they ar...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 10, 2012

If style matters... If you want to have lunch in a garden while feeling the vibes of the city... If you want to go running in the parks and enjoy sumptuous breakfast upon return... Reylof is different and makes your stay in the lively city of Ghent even more enjoyable. Great value for money so that even if you're on a business trip nobody will suspect you exagerate .. Enjoy.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2012

My husband and I booked a night here for a last minute getaway to celebrate our 26th wedding anniversary. We were amazed at how beautiful the hotel was. It is a fantastic mix of old and new. Check in was quick and the staff was very friendly. The room was great. The hotel had left a note of congratulations and a small box of chocolates for us. The bed was super comfortable and the room included robes and slippers. The walkin shower was very nice. One big surprise was that the bottled water in the minibar was free!

The breakfast buffet had a nice variety and the staff was very friendly. We did not have time to use the spa, on this visit.
The location is superb. It is less than 5 minutes walk to the historic center of town.

I do recommend using the Ramen car park it is very close and will accommodate large cars.
We will definately stay at this hotel again.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during a trip around Europe. The hotel for me was pretty close to perfect, I just could not fault it. We booked a double room and were upgraded to superior for no extra charge as I mentioned some pictures i saw on the web of wooden beams in the rooms and the very nice man on reception upgraded us free of charge We therefore stayed in a superior room which had a sitting room area, massive bedroom and massive bathroom and separate toilet (with very creative use of doors). The bed was a queen size bed, we had free wifi, mini bar with 3 bottles of free water per day, lots of English channels and room service available also.
I am a gym fanatic and the hotel had a separate wellness centre just a stroll across the garden, in the wellness centre was a small but adequate gym, sauna and very nice swimming pool, it was quiet the days we stayed and I had the use of this entire centre to myself the 3 times I used it.
Breakfast again in this hotel was perfect , I am lactose and wheat intollerant so breakfast in hotels is very difficult. This hotel however offered to cook eggs any which way you liked so I had Omellete with cooked tomatos and they also had Alpro Soya Milk which meant I was able to have my wheat free cereal and they also made me beautiful decaf coffee.
The staff at the hotel were professional and extremely friendly and helpful at all times.
All in all this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in, loved it and whatever your requirements the hotel seems able to accomodate.
Very secure parking was also available to us @ a rate of 15 euro per day.
If you are visiting Ghent do yourself a favour and book this hotel.

1  Thank AudreyN17
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Treat yourself and book this hotel, or do all you can to find a good rate and stay here; I'll be surprised if you regret it.

It's situated in a quiet part of Gent but only 5 minutes walk from the centre of town. The conversion of the hotel has left many of the original architectural mouldings, paintings etc in tact whilst adding bold modern features such as the cocktail bar.

The room I had was amazing and had its own balcony overlooking the grassed central courtyard bar. Breakfast is truly international and offers something for everyone. I didn't get to use the spa on this stay, although it looked superb.

The hotel is stylish and elegant and provides a haven from the busy tourist filled areas of town, I look forward to staying here many more times in future.

One tip is to avoid using the parking garage. There is a public car park 'Ramen' at the rear of the hotel that offers parking for a third of the hotel price.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business