“Surprisingly good food”

Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We were looking for dinner during our mini city trip to Ghent and ended up in the area of "Patershol" which has plenty of small restaurants. We ended up at the 't Klokhuys basically because we were tired to keep on looking and it was the closest one at that time ... but what a surprise. We were hoping for something just OK, but were quite surprised by some delicious dishes. The "mushroom toast" appetizer was excellent, and so were the two main dishes we selected, the Gentse Waterzooi and the Victoriabaars with mashed potatoes with leek. A place we can recommend.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We went with a party of four of which two people went for the €29,50 multiple choice menu consisting of appetizer, entree and dessert; two others went for the €37 same menu including a half bottle of wine per person. Normally restaurants only allow guest to take the menu or the wine & dine arrangement by the table, we appreciated them giving us the option to have both arrangements at the table, I wasn't particularly wild about the wine but my partner who is the wine drinker amongst us did like the Cabernet Sauvignon enough to drink seven eights of the bottle, so as usual it's all about personal taste.
The set menu price it's a good deal in the middle of Ghent's touristic area, also drinks are very reasonable priced for example a 1ltr bottle of water sold for €5,60 which is hard to find.
The old charm interior decoration guarantees for a cosy or even romantic night out, we really enjoyed the athmosphere and the food and definately recommend Brasserie 't Klokhuis.
There's a high probability that we'll return.

2  Thank LeoRaeves
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Friendly staff (just one waiter) who managed very well to cope with all of the restaurant by himself. Menu was explained to us and beer selection was advised. Beef stew was excellent although the portion was far too large for me.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We have regularly had wonderful service, excellent food from a wide menu and enjoyed a relaxed and happy atmosphere at a reasonable price. Our most recent of many visits was in February 2013.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have been here on several occasions and mostly go for the shrimp-croquettes as a starter and the flemish-stew as a main course... a choise which has never let me down!
---
Reservation & reception: if you are going during a weekend I would recommend making a reservation. I have never had to wait when a reservation was made and the reception has always been friendly.
---
Service: the staff is good and knowledgeable!
---
Food: the portions were always more then large enough and the food has always been tasty. The menu isn't that extensive and consists mainly out of typical flemish dishes...Overall the food has personally always been very good!
---
Price: I feel the price comes near to being right... not the cheapest, but not overpriced as well.
---
In the end I would say: "just try it and taste the flemish kitchen, because we have always had a tasty experience"... My overall grade is 4 out of 5 stars.