“Sub-standard Cleaning”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
Bucharest, Romania
“Sub-standard Cleaning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I give this hotel only 2 stars because I found the manner in which the room had been cleaned unacceptable. I did not mind the fact that the room was tiny, the walls were thin so you could hear everything happening in the hallway, the bathroom again tiny, although I think all these factors should bring the price of the room down. I slept quite well (the mattresses are very comfortable), although one of the rooms I stayed in gave into an alleyway where refuse collectors started banging and clanging around 6am. I also did not mind the general air of shabbiness. Breakfast was also quite good and standard (eggs, sausages, fruit, cereal, everything). But my stay was spoiled by the fact that both rooms I stayed in (I stayed there twice in August) were very dusty (dust bunnies flew off the chair when I put my hand on it, and all the surfaces were dusty: the night stand, the desk, the TV table, the TV remote). The bathroom walls were yellowish and scuffed, and the cracks between the tiles were dirty, and the adhesive had turned black in the corners. The situation did not change (I assumed at first that the room had been cleaned weeks before and nobody had occupied it, and that's why it was so dusty, but it became clear to me that the cleaners were simply not wiping the furniture properly on a daily basis, but merely straightening the bed). This was partly explained when I saw a member of the cleaning crew also serve in the hotel restaurant. I think the hotel is simply not hiring enough help, otherwise I can't understand why one person would have to both clean the rooms and serve in the restaurant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Stephan V, General Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum Opera, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the ibis Gent Centrum Opera. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Hotelmanager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

You know what to expect with an Ibis and this one delivers exactly that: the location is good, the staff were welcoming, the garage spacious, the rooms clean, and the wifi fast. This is a fine hotel for a stopover.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Stephan V, Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum Opera, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the ibis Gent Centrum Opera. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Hotelmanager
Hackney, null, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

The picture on trip adviser is very misleading. This hotel did not have the class of an opera. Having been in five other hotels in Belgium in a one week cycle tour it was the poorest value of the lot. The room 109 was so small it reminded us of student accommodation. It would have been ok at half the price but it cost more than all the other hotels for a night and breakfast. More expensive than central brussels Cascade Midi with accommodation four times the size, more expensive than the ghent river hotel, three times the size and similar with our other three hotels. If you we six foot you would have banged your knees on the wall when sat on the loo. The shower was very small. The bathroom door was dented as if someone had hit their head on it. The breakfast was good though and the staff professional. If you are visiting gent then you are more likely to find better value in almost any other hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Will M
Stephan V, General Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum Opera, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Will,

sincerest apologies.

At ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. .

Stephan Vanwingene

Travelers are raving about these Ghent hotels

Tucson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Nicely located, small, but clean. The internet is free and fast. Using ping tests online, the ping was about 75ms, very good. The only complaint about this room is the small bathroom. When you sit on the toilet, one of your knees will probably touch the wall. The shower is small but manageable. Just don’t flail around or you’ll hit the shower door. One odd thing was that the tap water tasted really good. I refill my water bottle using the faucets of the hotels I stay at, and this hotel had the best taste. The staff seem professional.

To get here from St. Peters train station, you take Tram 1 to Savaanstreet. The hotel is right in front of that stop. Then it’s only a 10 minute walk to Bavos cathedral, Belfry, St. Nicholas Church, etc.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank superflunker87
Stephan V, Manager at Ibis Gent Centrum Opera, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your stay.
They are of great value to us and help us to improve our service and quality.

We will pass your remarks on to the team in order to improve communication and transparancy regarding our services.

Many thanks and I hope we'll be able to welcome you in Gent again.

Yours sincerely,

Manager
Brighton, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

This hotel is in a great location - it's literally ten minutes walk up the main shopping street (Veldstraat) to get into the centre of Ghent. If you don't fancy the walk a tram stops just outside the hotel with good service by the no. 1 (between 3 and 7 minutes I found); the tram is useful for heading south too if you're interested in the SMAK (modern art) and fine arts museums which are next to each other in the Citadel Park.

My room was fine for a single traveller but I'm not sure it would have been much fun for a second person. The bed was against the wall and the bathroom barely large enough for one person. To give you an idea of this (apologies for bluntness) I've never before encountered a toilet I couldn't sit on without my legs being off at an angle! That said, I spent very little time in the room and lots of time exploring the city so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Breakfast was decent enough to stock up before the day's activities and offered cheese/ cold meats, yogurts/ fruits/ cereals, breads/ croissants/ pastries, and a limited hot element of scrambled egg/ suspicious grey sausage. Teas, coffees and fruit juices are from machines though which isn't great but with all for 12 euros it's pretty good value all the same.

The staff are very friendly and keen to help but perhaps could have been a bit more on the ball. Three things stick in my mind - firstly I wasn't given tokens for breakfast so had to abandon my food on day one to sort it out at reception. Secondly I was assured parking was as cheap at the hotel as elsewhere but found this wasn't true - 15 euros per night in a very tight car park at the hotel (most pillars had other motorists' paint on them!) but I could have parked for 13 euros/ 24hrs just round the corner and saved myself 8 - 10 euros by paying only for the hours I used. And finally, I was encouraged to pay for my room when I arrived - not something I'm used to but couldn't see any harm - but found the first night that this effectively cuts off your credit and you're then unable to order drinks or room service whilst you're staying. These are relatively minor quibbles however and the only negative parts of an otherwise fantastic short break in Ghent.

Room Tip: It's not a room tip, but if you're in Ghent for a short break I'd recommend grabbing the...