“Great Location Budget Hotel”

Novotel Gent Centrum
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Ghent
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hertfordshire, UK
“Great Location Budget Hotel”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in November 2013 whilst the Christmas Market was taking place. Room was of a good size and clean. Breakfast was not included in my package and seemed quite expensive. With many coffee shops and patisseries nearby - this proved to be the better choice. The hotel car park is tiny and ended up parking in an underground car park in a nearby square. As the prime reason for visiting Ghent was to see the Christmas Market the location of the hotel was brilliant as the market was on the doorstep. Even for visiting Ghent at any other time of the year, I would recommended staying here.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard A
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this review, February 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Gent Centrum.

Kind regards,

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Still not sure what to make of this one it was clean yes warm yes, good sleep so quiet but something was missing it seemed soulless. The staff were efficient but not friendly. One exception to this being the bar man mr nibbles (he said that was his name ha ha) who was the complete opposite I guess what I am trying to say is that they need more nibbles!

The Hotel location is great with lots to do and see just outside the door. The price was a little over the average and look out for the €16 an day breakfast and it would have been nice to have been told of the €16 a night parking fee when I arrived, if your a nervous driver take the train as the car park is very small and tight to manoeuvre in, not for the faint hearted.

The ultra modern bathroom had a sink that was a work of art but nowhere to keep the soap it slid into the bowl as soon as you let it go. The wardrobe had no doors don't think anyone had stolen them I just think they were never fitted. On the plus side I had free wifi that was of a good speed.

Not sure what the disco lift was all about! Canned music played that loud in a confined space is annoying.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Gent Centrum. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

TOUNE Sven
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed here for four nights over New Year and arrived an hour too early to check in but we were warmly welcomed and able to safely store our luggage whilst we went out for a stroll and waited for the room to be ready. The location is fantastic, right in the heart of old Ghent, and at this time of year you just walk out of the hotel and you're in the Christmas market. The outside of the building is traditional and charming, not a modern box. The facilities in Reception were impressive, with Apple computers that you can stand up at and use free (for a limited time) and an Xbox set up for kids to play on.

The room was great. I particularly liked the shower which you sort of walk round the corner of a glass panel to get into ie no messing about with shower curtains or doors, it felt luxurious. Excellent free wifi, and tv channels included BBC1 and BBC2. If I was being picky I would say we found the weight of the bedclothes really heavy but it didn't stop us sleeping well, just felt a bit odd / unusual.

Breakfast was good with lots of choices hot and cold. I loved the fresh bread. Again if I was being picky a wider / more appealing selection of fresh fruit would have been nice.

I would reserve my highest praise for the exemplary standard of service we received from all the staff we encountered: housekeeping, restaurant and Reception. Everyone went out of their way to help us, for example finding and booking a great restaurant for us at the last minute on New Year's Eve, which wasn't easy. I'd single out Kurt on Reception who is one of those big reassuring guys who makes you feel that nothing can possibly go wrong whilst he's looking after you.

This was our first stay in a Novotel and we were very impressed all round.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this review, January 16, 2014

TOUNE Sven
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Hi
Stayed here recently for a three night stay. The hotel is very centrally located which was great for my stay. It is very close to all local attractions and restaurants which is handy.
Hotel wise I found the room to be very basic. The comfort level of the beds did not meet my expectations. The mattresses are quite thin so support is limited. I would not recommend this hotel if you have a bad back! Breakfast was buffet style and it was good. Nice eggs and fresh fruit. On a negative note we were there and the upper floors were being renovated. The workers started banging and drilling above my room at 06.30hrs. For me any hotel that lets this happen is not a good hotel in my opinion. They indicate in the room that you the customer are the most important but unfortunately actions speak louder than words. For a hotel to let workers being at this hour when they surely know their guests are sleeping is unacceptable in my opinion. As a result if I come back to Gent I will not be staying in this hotel. They are better hotels in the town than this one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Good afternoon,

Front Office manager.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed here over the New Year 2013/4. Excellent location right in the heart of the town and convenient for all the sights. The hotel has good facilities but what makes it special is the staff - a real hard working team where all work to make your stay comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this review, January 7, 2014

Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights over the New Year on a DBB basis. Unfortunately we arrived 1hour later than expected and our evening meal wasn't the best. However, after that minor blip, I have to say that things improved markedly.

As other reviewers have said the hotel is located in the heart of this lovely city and access to all the attractions, especially the Christmas market, is very easy. The hotel itself is spotlessly clean and the staff are all very charming and helpful. The rooms are a good size and there are separate toilet and shower rooms.

The breakfast is a very nice buffet with a good range of hot and cold food. The 3 course set evening meals were also good with an emphasis on sea food. The highlight for us though was the gala dinner on New Year's Eve where we had a 5 course meal with free flowing wine during the meal, sparkling wine to start it off and then more to see in the new year. We had intended to go see the fireworks but had such a good time in the hotel that none of our party made it.

We can highly recommend the hotel and the lovely city of Ghent and, hopefully, we'll be back fairly soon.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this review, January 5, 2014

Regards

Delft
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Very good position in the city centre but a tiny car park for the size of the hotel. Otherwise a perfect choice for a weekend break in Gent where there is a lo to see and avoid ambience. There are plenty of very good restaurants just near the hotel but book in advance if you want a particular one as they are all busy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple