“Great for Christmas Market”

Novotel Gent Centrum
Ranked #9 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Central location, near to great restaurants. Christmas market literally outside the main door. Modern, clean - staff very friendly and were very helpful. Breakfast good quality and plentiful. Room clean, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Gent Centrum.

Front Office Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,355)

Reviewed December 11, 2013

Rooms are basic for the price you pay but location is unbeatable, this is by far the best located hotel in Ghent with parking. breakfast is good and staff id friendly. it is recommended to book this hotel in advance to avoid rush!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank himanshumangal

Sven TOUNE

Reviewed December 9, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Reviewed December 7, 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Exactly what you expect from a Novotel, simple, clean and comfortable rooms, easy to check in and out, and friendly staff... What more could you want?!

When we arrived the car park was full, but on popping in to reception we were given a handy little map that pointed us to the nearest 24hr secure car park. This was only a short walk from the hotel and gave us a chance to see one of lovely squares, and to walk through some of the beautiful side streets. Car park was €10 for 24hr.

The hotel itself was so close to everything that it was easy to pop
back for forgotten gloves... And then hat... And then scarf! I will definitely book this hotel for the Christmas Fayre next year as it's pretty much in the middle of it, we could see them constructing it in the courtyard below our window.

Will certainly visit again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Good mooring,

Warm regards

Sven TOUNE

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Having booked a 2 night stay online, the dates booked were 2 days adrift- not sure if our mistake or IT system glitch - on same evening as making the booking we tried to move dates to those intended (just 2 days earlier - vacancies were available) no difference in cost or occupancy for hotel but under their 'no changes' policy refused to allow change so booking wasted and cost me £100. I shall never be using Novotel again if this is their level of customer service. So much for being a loyalty club member. I could understand if we were trying to change plans long after booking or reduce booking but we were only trying to get booking we thought we had made! What was intended to be an Xmas surprise for my disabled wife has been ruined for no good reason that I can see.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Peter W
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Gent Centrum. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I am sorry that booking.com gave you the impression that they could negotiate. I will take this matter to the account manager. Booking.com is well aware of the sales conditions.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for two nights on a business trip.

The location was great, and the hotel was ok; nothing special. The pool was covered over for the season, and that would probably be enjoyable in warmer weather. Gent is a wonderful city for walking around and exploring, and the public transportation is excellent.

One unusual thing happened at the hotel: They took an approval on my AMEX card before I arrived without having the card in hand. Yes, the corporate travel agent gave them my card number to guarantee late arrival. But it wasn't that late when I arrived; well before midnight. I've traveled a lot for business over the years, and the norm in every other hotel I've been to is to take the approval when I arrive, using the actual card. It's a bit creepy and unsettling to know that my credit card number is just sitting there waiting to be used by the Novotel staff.

I won't be staying at the Novotel in Gent again.

Room Tip: It's a quiet area of town, so there are no noise issues to worry about.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Sven T, Front Office Manager at Novotel Gent Centrum, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Good evening,

The credit card check that was done, is standard procedure, when a booking was done and the arrival is later then 8.00 pm, as I tried to explain to you. I deplore you not coming to us, but respect your decision

Front Office Manager.