“Great contemporary accents on an old building”
Review of Hotel Onderbergen

Hotel Onderbergen
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Ghent
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hi all, I stayed here with a bunch of cycling buddies over the weekend. I have to say the girl on reception was both cute and very friendly. We booked about 6 rooms which varied from those on the ground floor to the top of the building. All were great except for perhaps the size of a single. That said it was very neat, and all the other rooms were by comparison very large, the lower once with very high original ceilings.

The hotel is in a great location on the canal and encompasses a pub with internal courtyard (which was where you ate breakfast. A nice touch was a first drink on us voucher to the pub that came with the rooms.

The old town square is a few mins walk away but you are just a nice distance away from the hustle and bustle.

I'd stay here again for sure but if I wanted something romantic perhaps something with a more sophisticated breakfast area (than the pub) might be up your street. Who know perhaps that is in the planning as it seems a work in progress in someways.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night recently in this Hotel. The hotel itself is situated nicely in a quiet area. The receptionist was very pleasant and friendly. Our room (No.25 or 26 cant remember) was a small double which was big enough for one night with a separate WC and shower room. It was clean and adequate. Unfortunately it was above the courtyard and the bar which was noisy indeed. Music went on till the early hours and even with the window shut it was still very loud. Added to that the fact that we had a party of young men staying along our corridor who arrived home at 3.45 am and proceeded to carry on as if it was the middle of the day which was very annoying. At 6.30 am they were banging on the door next to our room (presumably a friend of theirs) at which point I could take no more so went out and told them to be quiet, which in fairness they did after that. We were also bitten by some bugs in the night - not mosquitos - and have informed the hotel accordingly. Judging by most other reviews it seems that we were probably just unlucky.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This hotel is in a very central location within a short walk to most of Ghents top attractions, the beds are amazing & more comfortable than my own at home !. Had breakfast the next morning at Foleys Irish pub which was delish !!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MountNod
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was in Gent for Geenste Feest and as it is extremely busy during this time, I thought I would find it hard to get last minute accommodation but luckily I got a room here for 85 euro per night. I booked on Saturday for Sunday so I was lucky there was still accommodation available. The hotel was booked out for Monday night though as I got two 'wake up calls' the first at 11am knocking on the door to tell me that they really needed the room, the second was at 12. Geenste Feest finishes at 8am so hence my delayed reaction to the wake-up calls ;o) I was very happy with my room and the facilities. They didn't have an issue with my late arrival and check in at 10pm (caused by train delays) It is in a good location as it's slightly off the beaten track so no noise from Gentse Feest but it's still close enough to the centre of all the action to be easy walking distance. I also got 3 vouchers for free drinks in the bar even though I was only one person staying for one night, which I wasn't expecting. The 3 glasses of Leffe that I and my friends got using these didn't taste that great though (draught). Overall I'd recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again. Also I wish I had noticed that there was an air conditioning unit on the ground in the room as with 31 deg C outside I would have had a much more pleasant sleep and could have closed the window if I'd noticed it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed just for one night, normal sized room, very big bathroom, but no shelf space apart from the window ledge.
Friendly, helpful girl at reception.
Free Internet, only parking for three cars in the hotel, we parked at a nearby park house - €14 -
Had a nice dinner at the Irish Pub which belongs to the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

A lovely couple of nights in Ghent staying in a proper family room with single beds for the kids. As noted by other reviewers, the service was first class. Kristina was very welcoming and helpful (including with the arrangements prior to arrival). Our room was bright and clean, and appears to have been recently refurbished. Breakfast was fine although a little expensive and not included in the price of the room. There was a nice selection of food to choose from; the Irish fry-up was very satisfying after sampling the local beers the night before!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Charming and pleaseant hotel. Beautifull and cean rooms. The girl from the recepcion was very frrienly. We really enjoy our stay.Very nice and helpfull staff. Nice, confortable and very clean rooms. We stay in the family room, and the bathroom was very big, clean and beautifull. The breakfeast is a litle bit expensive, but good, serve in a irish pub, very tradicional. It as a small gardénia índice of the hotel. We enjoy very much of the hotel. The girl from the recepcion is very kinde. Good restaurants, very quer and safe city. In Gante centrum, The Graislei restaurant is very good and te owner was excepcional.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family