“Cool place to stay!”

Ecohostel Andromeda
Ranked #7 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Ghent
Reviewed October 19, 2012

So, when my friend and I were in Nice ( France ), we met some girls from Ghent, who said to come to Overpoorte Street, for a huge party. So we did. We had no idea we booked a boat! It was way cooler than I had thought, the people running the hostel were awesome too! It was very clean, and honestly, it was the most comfy mattress while I was in Europe, Hands down. Showers worked well, and the breakfast was pretty good. It had a mellow vibe.

Room Tip: I got the double at the end of the hall, it was so comfy!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Ecohostel Andromeda

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Welcoming environment, friendly hosts, and a ecofriendly environment. We enjoyed all the comforts of home; comfy bed and pillows, and waking up to the sunrise through the porthole! It was easy to hop on the tram down the block to get to all the tourist stuff without staying in the midst of it. Our wonderful host seven indulged us by steering us toward the local thrift store (fantastic!) and a local cafe, of the beaten path. We will recommend this place over and over again!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Highly recommend this place. I did not feel like I was in a hostel, it has very relaxed atmosphere. Toilets and Showers were clean. Plus its on a boat. Only negative is that it doesn't have cooking facilities but you can't have everything.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My partner and I thouroughly enjoyed our stay at ecohotel andromeda. We had a double private room which was cosy and had a very comfortable bed! The whole of the hostel is very clean, the showers were lovely and spacious, they all had room to change your clothes etc and all had locks. It was the little quirky things I liked, for example, the walls and door in the toilets were chalk walls which you could write on, this may seem a bit weird but it really worked. The only negative point was the heat at night, the whole boat seems to heat up if it's very sunny outside so it can be a bit like a sauna but it was manageable! there was also a very cute and friendly cat and dog on the boat as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My husband and I had a great time here! Its very cute and well decorated. The rooms are perfectly fine. Its a great place if you want some quiet at night. Free breakfast and a cute kitty.

The only downside has nothing to do with the hostel--someone stole my journal.

I have no idea why someone would want it.

We called the owner to see if we left it there and she said she had it. But before she could send it to us, someone took it.

It had all our travels since our honeymoon in 2009 and was almost full.

Other than that, a super great stay and the owner is so nice to have gone through all the trouble of trying to get our journal back!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I very much enjoyed the Ecohostel Andromeda. A converted canal barge, Andromeda is an unusual and interesting hostel. Very clean, the most comfortable bed I've experience in any hostel, conveniently located and reasonably priced. I appreciate their sincere efforts to minimize environmental impact. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stayed there just for a night at 8people dorm room. I paid 22 Euros for one night.

Bed linens were really clean and duvet was sun-dried and smelt good.

They had 4 shower rooms that can be locked, and it was spacey enough for me to change my clothes and bring my stuff while having a shower.
They also had power supply in every shower room and you could also dry your hair if you bring your own hair driers.
And water pressure of the shower was perfect too.

Travelers could communicate with others either at decks or lounges, and also I could use WI-FI without any troubles.

Breakfast was just simple, bread and organic jams/cheese.
I could have coffee or tea anytime for free (self-service).

It was a houseboat near "Brugespoort" tram stop on line 4, and also close to the tram stop to go to the historical site. I walked to the historical site and it took me about 15mins on foot.

The only negative point was just a location, when I was coming back at night, I felt a bit scary because some guys hanging out there was swearing at me sometime, but I really recommend this hostel to everyone.

They had 2 big dogs and 1 kittie on the deck... I also recommend to those who like animals, but I think it would be a kick-back to those who don't like them. Kittie never comes in the room so even if you have allergies I think you'd be ok. (I have cats allergy too.)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo