“Nice food in nice play but quite slow”
Review of Amatsu

Amatsu
Ranked #84 of 952 Restaurants in Ghent
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We had dinner yesterday with 4 people, 3 times sushi menu and 1 traditional japanese menu. The food tasted good, well seasoned and looked very nice and 55€pp for drinks, appetizers, starter, sushi plate with side dishes and dessert is a correct price.
Also nice setting and friendly service.
Only downside for us was the fact that we had to wait too long. Main dish arrived >2h30 after arriving!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our second visit. We went in the middle of the week, so the restaurant was quite empty and therefore the service was fast and polite.
We had miso soup, duck, grilled salmon, and a plate of sushi. The soup was quite tasty. The main courses were well cooked and well seasoned. The salmon was so tender I could cut it simply using the chopsticks. The sushi plate was well presented and the waiter introduced each piece.
It is a bit on the expensive side. Would be happy to go back.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I was expecting a true Japanese experience due to the nice reviews, but left with an empty feeling. This is just another Japnese sushi restaurant, like there are many others in the area.

The evening did not start off well as I was welcomed by the man behind the sushi counter, who pointed me in the direction of the table where my friends were waiting. Not really a warm welcome.

The table we got was in the back area, where no one else was seated. It was also next to the toilet, so atmosphere dropped below zero. Fortunately I was in good company.

To start off I had a cava, which was ok. Then some small waiting plate came with tuna which was overcooked. Then I had the small sashimi to start, which was really small. The shrimp was the size of my pink.

As a main I had the soft shell krab with noodles The krab was ok, but the noodles were also overcooked or even reheated. Someone else had some pork which was also overdone. My wife had the large sushi plate, but the sushi was made very amateuristic (like I would do at home). When she asked what one of the sushi was, the waiter could not answer it.

When the host cleared our table, we gave our honest comments and then she disappeared for the rest of the evening.

We decided to have dessert anyway and this was also below standards. The sorbet came straight out of the box and the fresh munt tea almost had no mint.

My opinion, if you want a true Japanese experience, there is only one place I can recommend, Tanuki, Bruges. Day and night difference.

1  Thank Jan S
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Rather expensive, but a real treat. Having lived in Japan for a while, I can honestly say this is the place you have to go to if you want to have a try of the 'real' Japanese cuisine.

2  Thank Kristien W
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Some weeks ago we ate here and left with a very good feeling. The waitress was initially a little detached but soon became cordial. Our meals tasted great and were really prepared by a Japanese chef. Fortunately they have avoided the kitschy (and probably not always hygienic) presentation choosing simple, very tasty-looking dishes. In other words, highly recommended for fans of Japanese cuisine

2  Thank Cédric V