“Desart Family history”

Diamond Springs, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Desart Family history”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The castle was inherited by Jehan Holmant deSart and in 1492, Jehanne deSart, Holmant's daughter, married Arnold de Merode. For more than two centuries the castle remained in the hands of this family whose members were the main restorers. In 1680, de Merode sold the castle to Francois de Gand-Vilain van den Steen, Baron of Saive and "grand Mayeur de Liege". In 1998, while researching my Desart family history, my wife Martha and I met the Count Guy van den Steen, who gave us a tour of the grounds. He pointed out each of the weathered bronze statues he sculpted and related the history of the property. We were fortunate to be able to take numerous photos of the Count and the castle. We shall forever remember the pleasure of meeting Count Guy van den Steen and these momentos as we continue to research the Desart family in hopes of connecting our family from Liege, to his.

Visited March 2012
5 Thank howard d

Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“This Chateau is amazing”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The approach to the chateau and the moat makes for glorious photos. There are a few rooms to view which have so much history inside them and I would recommend the headset to hear the tour (all downstiars rooms so idea for those with limited mobility). The places just oozes history.
Try to go on a summy day as the outside is the best bit, I can;t put my finger on why but just wandering around the gardens (and make sure you pop into the walled garden over to the left) was peaceful, intriguing and looking back at the chateau I got some great photos.
I don't recall a cafe . . . but perhaps we missed it . . .

Visited September 2012
2 Thank ButtonFansWife
Milan, Italy
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Nice Park and Castle”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Ok, it is a great castle with a great park, but maybe you see the most just from the outside.
Paying a ticket to see just few rooms (two of them closed) maybe it is too much. This is the last season before restoration works begin, so maybe after that a visit inside will be more interesting.
The parking area for cars is very limited.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank PirouetteLover
Dinant, Belgium
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great castle, nice gardens!”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Walk around the park and take your time visiting the castle

Leiden, The Netherlands
235 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 377 helpful votes
“It was okay, the garden was pretty, as was the exterior.”
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I think I had idealised this chateau in my mind, since I was planning a visit for over 3 years... It really is lovely, the exterior and the garden were brilliant, but also... not in original state. A lot of art is shown from the previous owner, which is quite nice. Really can't appreciate what they have done to the old stables, but that is of course a choice... I whish though that they had taken the money they have spent on the stables and the bridge and invested it in the upkeep of the interior. Conservation is needed, really sad to see.

On the upside: I loved the audiotour! Lots of information.

Visited April 2012