“Great collections of glass, arms, coins and Medieval art” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Musee Curtius (Curtius Museum)

Musee Curtius (Curtius Museum)
Ranked #12 of 89 things to do in Liege
Folkestone, England
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Great collections of glass, arms, coins and Medieval art”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

This museum is beautifully laid out in a charming old building with fountains in its courtyard. The most spectacular galleries house a collection of glass from Roman times to the present day, and a very comprehensive collection of weapons including swords and firearms. The general galleries include one of the best collections of Roman coins I've ever seen in a museum, and some wonderful pieces of medieval religious art, some of which came from Liege's St Lambert's Cathedral, sadly demolished over 200 years ago. There is a cafeteria and clean toilets. My only complaint about the museum is that it isn't signposted very clearly, and even when you reach the building there isn't a particularly large sign to say what it is!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Numismatist

• Polish first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Excellent collection; experience ruined by museum staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We drove an hour and a half to Liege just to take my father-in-law to see the arms collection housed at the Grand Curtius Museum. While the collection was quite thorough, and my father-in-law greatly enjoyed seeing all the historic weapons, the visit was completely ruined by one of the museum staff.

After about a half hour of viewing the first part of the arms collection we moved to the second room, only to have one of the museum staff follow us in. As we looked at the exhibits she followed closely behind and was literally staring at us - not taking her eyes off us. It became so uncomfortable that we ended up leaving the museum. I have no clue what we could have done that would have prompted this kind of treatment, but it was completely absurd. My father-in-law was excited and touched the glass of the cases a few times - but beyond that we were completely respectful and followed all appropriate museum etiquette (which a vast majority of people normally don't do).

In addition, I can wholeheartedly say that Liege was the most disgusting and run-down city I've ever visited in Europe (and we've been travelling about every other weekend for eight months now). I had been warned, and I shrugged it off. But the place really was a cesspool.

There are a plethora of museums in Europe showcasing similar artifacts (for arms in particular the Rijksmuseum has a fabulous and far superior collection). I see no reason why anyone should go out of their way to visit this place. We only came here because we didn't have time to go all the way to Amsterdam, but I now see that was a mistake.

Visited May 2013
Lulea, Sweden
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beautiful building contatining a rich legacy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

We visited this place after we crossed the long flea market La Batte which is organized on Sundays.

A very nicely renovated museum in the busy area near station Liege-Palais.

A great possibility to learn about many influences that affected the region of Liege in the past and an uncommonly big collection of exhibits from a relatively small area. Additional plus for a placement of exhibits in chronological order for a better orientation.

The museum runs also temporary exhibitions, so check the website, it might be something like an interesting photo exhibition.

Keeping my fingers crossed for more descriptions in English cause it is pretty poor with it.

Free on first Sunday of the month.

Visited March 2013
Liege, Belgium
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Interesting museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

That museum is about the history of the local region. It starts back from caveman until centuries 18 or 19. The museum is big and it takes time to visit it all (4 hours). One day per year the museum is free and some art students from the university of Liège are explaining you every collection. You'll find various collection in the museum (ancient tools, fire arms, paintings, sculptures, ...) You'll also find a reduced model of the former cathedral of Liège that has been destroyed. The musuem is very interesting and its external architecture also worth the detour. You can admire all the faces on the external walls.

Visited March 2012
Turnhout, Belgium
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

The place was renovated a couple of years ago and they have done a nice job; I concentraded on the weapons exhibition an found it very nice, although standard information is french only. The place as a whole has a nice atmosphere.

Visited May 2011