“by the river”

Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Liege
Dymchurch, United Kingdom
“by the river”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Well what a lovely hotel staff really friendly food excellent rooms very spacious lovely big bath we would stay here again.

Arrived late evening 26/10/12 by coach a member of staff came onto coach to explain our stay and meal times we all entered hotel reception and was issued our keys and told to go to our rooms and cases would follow on. Lifts are very big got to our rooms and they were very spacious twin beds TV seating area hair drier very good. Our cases arrived as promised and plenty of hangers in wardrobe makes a nice change the only downside no drawers to put small items in. Tea coffee available in room. When we returned to rooms at night we had a strong smell of cigerate smoke not sure if comes through heating system is the source next to smoking area? We stayed in room 621.

Restaurant was very old was the original crept and the meals were excellent well done chef. Bar area is small in reception just sofas scattered around but no tables to put drinks on but again staff very friendly and helpful.

We had a lovely 4 days and hope that our coach company (buzz lines) uses this hotel again thank you again to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
LouisSohl, Front Office Manager at Ramada Plaza Liege City Center, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your nice comments! Hope to see you soon again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
sunderland
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here for work for 2 lots of 4 nights (mon-thurs) in September 2012. The hotel seemed to be in an ok location, I didn't go into town since I was here for work, so I am unsure how far away it is to the centre. It was 10-15€ from the main train station in a taxi to the hotel. From the outside the hotel doesn't look too special, but inside it is clean, modern and bright. Very nice and comfortable. The hotel seems to mainly accommodate business people and coach trips (if a coach trip is in, you might want to find out what time they are eating and get down before them!). There are 3 tv channels in English, bbc1, 2 and CNN. And all rooms seem to have (free) safes.

The first week I was in room 430. The room was nice, clean and spacious. It was also silent on a night time which was good for me as I am a very light sleeper (although I did have to stick a piece of card over the digital clock on the tv as it gave out so much light during the night!). The views from this room weren't great, a derelict building and a grey skyline, but since people have complained of the noise from the rooms with a view, I'm happy enough with this room.

I had breakfast one morning (at around 7.15am) and it was tasty, with plenty of choice, all self service.

I had room service too, which was also tasty, and was delivered within a good time frame and was hot.

My only dissapointment the first week was that the restaurant for some reason was not open so there was only bar food, which is the same menu as room service. Also all the desserts on the menu are either warm, or with ice cream, so unsuitable for room service.

The second week I was in room 242. Unfortunately this happened to be right next to some sort of function/conference room. The first night (Monday) I had people outside my room laughing and talking loudly after midnight which was quite annoying when I was up early for work. Also, the cleaners started hovering and talking loudly in the same room early (before 7am) each day. If you are a light sleeper, like to go to bed early, or like to have a lie in, I would suggest trying to ask for a room on the higher floors where there are no conference rooms present. This room was smaller than the first and although still comfortable, there was very little space to get between the bed, bathroom door and luggage rack. I also found this bathroom a little smelly and the shower (over bath) was in a bit of a alcove and was quite dark.

I did not order room service this week, but ate in the bar. Food was quite good, although I wouldn't say it was as nice as the week before. It was also dissapointing that I ordered a dessert then to be told that there was no ice cream.

All in all it was an ok stay, better than some other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are away from noisy conference rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank atarisleaalk3
LouisSohl, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Liege City Center, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your posting. I am glad that you where pleased about the most services of the hotel but I am also glad that you pointed out our weaknesses.

I do would like to let you know that I am discussing your vieuws made in our Head of Department Meeting and that we will improve to be better when you are visiting us next time!
Thanks again!
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My second stay at this hotel; I stayed here around this time last year. The hotel exterior is unremarkable; the hotel interior in nicely decorated. We had a view of the river from our room, this was nice, and the room was clean and adequately spacious, with a large comfortable bed. There is a good TV, and safe. Air conditioning was poor, did not produce very cool air, and luckily the weather was not too hot. Bathroom was clean and stocked with plenty of towels, soaps & shampoo. There was one problem with a leaking drainage pipe from the wash hand basin that I reported to the front desk on my way out one morning, I informed them I would be out all morning & most of the afternoon, it was not repaired. I chose not to eat at the hotel as I wanted to explore Liege and try local cuisine. However I did order dim sum as a snack for two, I asked about the contents of the dim sum and understood that it would be a variety, all of them were filled with fish my partner does not eat fish. Overall it is a nice hotel I would consider staying here again when I return to Liege. I would like Ramada to provide some more customer service training for its staff. There were enough staff available to take care of business their appearance was good and they carried out the tasks with reasonable efficiently, perhaps a little slow to react and laid back, we had some difficulty getting coffee from in the lobby in the afternoon, there was a lack of friendly feeling about the whole experience. The price for the stay was very good. Liege is a nice place to visit & this is a good base location to stay.

Room Tip: River view rooms are nice.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeosamhOC
Dear Sir,

I am pleased you enyojed your second stay at theRamada Plaza Liège.
However that leaking drain should have been fixed. There is no reason why!

Although we do regulary training it is a very good idea of you to concentrate next time even more on custumor satisfaction.

Thank you for posting your comments.
Lancashire, England
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Drove here from England a distance of just over 500 miles. The hotel has  parking facilities at 10 Euros a night, unlike the Ramada at Dover, England which has no charge! Why do they need to charge!
It is situated quite away from the centre and appeared to be used mostly by business people.  It is a pleasant 4 star hotel with multi lingual friendly staff.
 We had a large room on the 6th floor at the rear of the hotel. There was a choice of pillows and the bed was large, however I could not understand why the quilt was not large enough in width to cover all of the bed! It was about 4 inches short on top so did not cover the sides of the mattress and left me partly uncovered during he night.
A room safe is provided along with tea/coffee making facilities. We would have preferred milk or cream pods rather than milk powder for our drinks.(maybe this is preferred in Belgium?)The Wi-Fi worked well, a code was required every day from reception for it to continue to work. Channel 17 on the tv provides BBC 1 news/programmes.
We did not eat at the hotel as the local restaurants in the centre were our choice for eating local cuisine.

A gentle walk to the centre took us 30 minutes, with interesting buildings to view on our way. A taxi ride took just over 5 minutes and cost 7 euros. Staff assisted in ordering the taxi.

We are returning for the Christmas Markets in December, but  I have selected a hotel, much nearer to the markets as the winter weather may cause us problems and prevent us from walking the distance.
Overall a pleasant stay.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
LouisSohl, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Liege City Center, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for your nice comments about our hotel! Hope you will enyoj your Christmas shopping in Liège! Thanks again for your time,

Louis Sohl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights with a friend of mine over the August Bank Holiday Weekend (UK). We used Liege as a base to go out and tour the Battle of The Bulge historical sites, so literally just slept in the room.

In terms of location this is pretty much in central Liege. The hotel also provide a secure car park that is fairly priced at 10euro per night,

Check in was very efficient and contrary to other reports on here I found the internet to be perfectly acceptable for general surfing, facebook, email etc.

The room was fairly small although I guess this is to be expected in a City Centre Hotel. The TV had a selection of English channels, BBC1, BBC2 and CNN. The beds were very comfy and the room was very clean and tidy.

The shower had plenty of pressure although it did have those bolt on the wall bottles rather than individual shower gel's and shampoo's.

The only reason I've marked this review 4 out of 5 rather than the top marks is because the service in the bar was awful. The barman would disappear for 15 minutes at a time, sometimes he'd be outside the patio door with his mobile phone bolted to his ear and at othertimes no one knew where he was. It got to the point that when I wanted a beer I had to go to the reception who would call the barman and ask him to come back and serve a drink !! I stay in hotels at least 5 times a month and have never ever seen anything like this EVER.

I would stay at a Ramada Plaza property again for sure. It was literally one guy (the barman) who let the side down here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
LouisSohl, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Liege City Center, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear OFM77,

I am ofcorse shocked by your experience and I would like to speak to you in person. Can you please mail me? gm@ramadaplaza-liege.com

Louis Sohl
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed for the weekend in july, 2012. We did not have a river front room so the view wasn't that great, but it was very quiet. The restaurant was excellent and there was secure parking on site (not free). All in all a great hotel very close to the city center.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank peter L
LouisSohl, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Liege City Center, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Peter,

Thank you for your nice comments! Hope to see you soon again!
Netherlands
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here for one night while sightseeing in Liege. We had a special very good rate via Hotels.com, probably because they are not very full during the holiday period. It was easy to find from The Netherlands, good parking (10 Euro a night, enough spaces and secured), lovely garden, within walking distance of the historic center as well as the more modern shopping and dining district. Good clean room, comfy beds, and a complimentary bottle of water.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear SalonEllen,

Thanks for your nice comments about the hotel and our town! Hope to see you soon again!