Les Comtes de Mean
$86
getaroom.com
  • Breakfast included
1,070 results
All reviewscrowne plazabeautiful hotelluxury hotelold mansioncrepestop floorgreat bathroomcocottefriendly personnelhealth clublobby barspent nightscomfortable bedsper daychristmas marketnice breakfastliege palais
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the Liege-Bastogne-Liege cycle challenge. My husband booked it saying it was the best hotel in town. I then read a few scathing reviews and was concerned it was not going to be practical for or son who has mobility issues and that it was well away from the main town.
What a load of rubbish those reviews were! We arrived at the hotel and were warmly greeted, even though it was very busy with loads of cyclists checking in. The concierge emptied the car, gave us a ticket, asked when we would need the car during our stay and then took it away to be parked.
We took the lift to our floor, walked along the corridor and entered a modern, clean and good-sized room -we booked a classic king. The extra bed arrived for our son, we re-arranged the furniture slightly and the room still had plenty of space.
The breakfast was adequate, nothing spectacular, but fit for purpose. My son and I had lunch at the brasserie and this was very good quality and reasonably priced (in line with the other restaurants in town).
There is a charge to use the pool in the spa area, but my son went free. I had a lovely massage in the spa and then the rest of the spa facilities and pool were free to use.
The hotel is at the top of a small climb, but if you are not silly enough to climb 150 steps to get to it at the back of the hotel, you can take a 5 minute gently sloping walk on the footpaths which takes you straight to the opera, restaurants and shops in the centre of town. The hotel was away from the hubbub of town, so you did not hear constant traffic or noise.
The only disappointing thing was the somewhat industrial view from our room, but the Liege is an industrial town!
I would definitely stay there again, without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had business in Liège for almost a week, and so I quickly booked a room at the Crowne Plaza. I had sought a centrally located, affordable hotel with a gym; and though it is purported to be the only 5-star hotel in town, the Crowne Plaza came up with the best deal on various sites; I ended up booking through their own brand site at a rate of 627€ for 6 nights in a large room with a king-sized bed - the normal daily rate is 280€ a night!

The hotel is a hop, skip, and step away from the train station Liège-Palais and buses at Galleries Opera. In between you find the old town center, so that the famous Le Carré is within walking distance, as well as shops and various other establishments. My favorite was the gaufre de Liège obtained each morning at Pollux (as a local suggested, the vanilla ones are the best).

I had room 525 on the fifth floor. It was large, spacious, and clean. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath (so big that I had trouble not sinking in it when I decided to treat myself to a bubble bath). All amenities are provided for, and in contrast to other reviewers, I had excellent wifi reception - this was with FOUR internet-connected devices AND a VPN. For example, I was able to do work on my laptop while having a video-Skype conversation with someone in Canada on my iPad at the same time. Additionally, the cleaning service did an excellent job tending to my room on a daily basis.

The gym is fully equipped with machines, free weights, exercise balls, etc. There were never more than 2-3 people there at a time, and mostly I had full use of the gym to myself. This was very convenient for a quick workout before I had to get to work. The pool looked a little small for a good strong swim, and by contrast with the fitness area, attracted a larger crowd. So I did not get to try it out. Had I more leisure time, however, I would have done so. Note that use of the gym is an additional 15€ charge (good for the duration of your stay).

Regardless of location and maintenance of a hotel, what really makes or breaks a stay is how one is treated by staff. I admit, I tend to test this whenever I stay in fancy hotels by dressing down - I sorely stuck out when I trekked through the lobby and dining area in my muddy jeans and sneakers and giant backpack. Did this make a difference? Not at all. I was treated with nothing but kindness and the utmost respect from the young, courteous, professional staff, in French and English, as it suited me. Oftentimes, this is not the case. It is the primary reason I am bothering to write this review. To repeat: excellent staff.

In short, this is not the first Crowne Plaza in which I’ve stayed, nor will it be the last; however, it is certainly one of the best. I look forward to returning the next time I visit Liège, for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Normatron
Reviewed April 5, 2013

A most unusual building - one enters from the street onto the 7th floor. Built into the side of a hill, it is possible to descend to the Wellness Centre on the ground floor which is just off the main drag in Liege.
I only spent one night here and was lucky to be upgraded to a club room with a king size bed. Great comfort with everything one could wish for in both bathroom and bedroom with the most wonderful bed linen.
When standards are so high, it seems a shame that the service in the bar was so slow and the waiter who eventually served me was so surly. In all other respects, this was an experience to remember, although it clearly is not inexpensive!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nickcam
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at the Liege Crown Plaza for 11 nights on business.
My room on the 4th floor was a great size, comfortable bed, clean and well equipped. The maid service was exceptional and the room pristine on my return each evening.
My room overlooked the steps which lead to the city centre but this did not cause any issues in terms of evening/night time noise.
The wi-fi signal was excellent throughout.
Breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice of hot and cold items.
The service in the bar could be a little slow at times but we weren't in a hurry anyway!
Some have commented on the slow check in process but this wasn't my experience at all - both check in and out were speedy.
Very friendly staff in a lovely hotel in a great location, really close to the city centre but beware there is a steep climb up to the hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cardi
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My short description summarizes the stay in the Crown Plaza Liege very well. But let’s start from the beginning:
Arrival on Friday, had a very nice men at the reception who knew what he was doing, upgraded our room, explained the details, arranged re-access to the car which was parked by the “voiturier”. It was a very welcoming check-in, absolutely to keep that way.
Then we went to the room (Room 620), a very nice room, approximately 30 m2, with beautiful bath room and furniture.
As I have spent more than 200 nights in Hotels all over the world I might be quite picky on the rooms and the hygiene, and there is definitely room for improvement:
Remarks on the Room:
1. Get rid of hairs on the pillows that are not obviously mine
2. Check lamps, as there were not all working fine (the one at the bed was flickering)
Remarks on the Bathroom:
1. Make sure that the shower and the bath-tub are cleaned with special products, as the non-slip coating tends to pick up the dirt from everyone, and they were really dirty (as if someone walked in with street shoes)
2. Both seals of the shower heads were not put into place like ti should, so water went to all directions
3. The windows of the shower have not be cleaned as it should as you could see a lot of striped and wipes over it
For a 5-Star Hotel this is inacceptable
Next morning we went to the Breakfast. Very welcoming service. Nice people working in this hotel with a lot of potential.
I had the bacon, my girlfriend the omelet and I also had an egg. The timer for the Egg was yellow and dirty and sticky, you do not give such a thing to a guest. The omelet was very oily, my girlfriend did not eat it, the bacon was too…tell the cook, that you do not have to add oil to make bacon!
After a nice day of walking and shopping, we came back around 18.30 to the hotel with the idea of using the Osmose Wellness area.
This was the most shocking wellness experience I ever had in a 5 Star hotel. Even in Burkina Faso the wellness areas I have seen were cleaner, maintained and quiet. Here it was horrible for thosde reasons:
1. Wet towels in the preparation showers of the locker rooms that have not been taken away for the whole day as they for wet like the ground itself and the floor has not seen any cleaning for the whole day. Imagine the bacteria these towels concentrate
2. The Shower itself had brown seal around, black spots, the seals again broken (like in the room)
3. The ground in the wellness area such as around the pool had all kind of particles on the floor, it was slippery and wet all over the place, no hanging hooks for your towels, we had to lay them down on the chairs
4. The pool water (after a closer look, because the light of the pool was not working everywhere), had millions of particles swimming in it (looked like skin) so we immediately went out of the pool
5. The Hamm’am felt dirty, the ground was dirty, the seats felt like a layer of lime scale, we felt disgust
6. Went to the sauna to check maybe is better there, well at least there you know that temperature is so high, that bacteria should not survive, but also there the door was not closing well, so the sauna did not have the full temperature, and in fact the sauna was heating the pool area, which was anyway very cold
7. The showers at the Hamm’am and the Sauna had a devastated look. The wall was dissolving itself, the showerhead on the left was ripped off the wall, and the gypsum of the wall was on the ground.
8. The wellness area has rules such as being quiet and to respect the other guests, but with a bunch of young people in the whirlpool that were so loud, this experience was everything else then wellness.
9. I have seen many of those places, but this is the first where there is no one constantly checking or wiping the floor to make sure it looks nice all the time.
10. The person working at the front desk was not friendly at all, apparently she has nothing else to do as to discuss private things on the phone, then to say: Take the towels there, I let you in, that’s it…She could have shown us around, so maybe she would see in what shape the wellness area is.
To be honest, the most shocking was the particles in the water and the wet towels in the showers to avoid slipping.
The rest of the hotel:
Everywhere you can see, that the maintenance has run into a backlog and that nothing is really perfect if you look a little closer. And here just to name parts of them:
1. Chairs in the bar/smokers lounge are losing decoration cloth
2. Cracks in walls, lights not working, paper getting off the wall, metal plates of the lifts on the floor loose
3. Carpet not 100% clean
I would like to offer the GM of the Hotel to show him around for a complete Week-end and to make together with him a list of things that needs to be done, to make this hotel again a 5-Star worth hotel with a unique customer experience. Feel free to contact me
Remarks on the Room:
1. Chairs in the bar/smokers lounge are losing decoration cloth
3. Carpet not 100% clean

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mbierbass
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Les Comtes de Mean, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear mbierbass,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. Please accept our deepest apology for the over all dissatisfaction you had during your stay and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-experience service to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M