“Great hotel”
Review of Les Comtes de Mean

Les Comtes de Mean
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Liege
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at the Liege Crown Plaza for 11 nights on business.
My room on the 4th floor was a great size, comfortable bed, clean and well equipped. The maid service was exceptional and the room pristine on my return each evening.
My room overlooked the steps which lead to the city centre but this did not cause any issues in terms of evening/night time noise.
The wi-fi signal was excellent throughout.
Breakfast was excellent, plenty of choice of hot and cold items.
The service in the bar could be a little slow at times but we weren't in a hurry anyway!
Some have commented on the slow check in process but this wasn't my experience at all - both check in and out were speedy.
Very friendly staff in a lovely hotel in a great location, really close to the city centre but beware there is a steep climb up to the hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cardi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My short description summarizes the stay in the Crown Plaza Liege very well. But let’s start from the beginning:
Arrival on Friday, had a very nice men at the reception who knew what he was doing, upgraded our room, explained the details, arranged re-access to the car which was parked by the “voiturier”. It was a very welcoming check-in, absolutely to keep that way.
Then we went to the room (Room 620), a very nice room, approximately 30 m2, with beautiful bath room and furniture.
As I have spent more than 200 nights in Hotels all over the world I might be quite picky on the rooms and the hygiene, and there is definitely room for improvement:
Remarks on the Room:
1. Get rid of hairs on the pillows that are not obviously mine
2. Check lamps, as there were not all working fine (the one at the bed was flickering)
Remarks on the Bathroom:
1. Make sure that the shower and the bath-tub are cleaned with special products, as the non-slip coating tends to pick up the dirt from everyone, and they were really dirty (as if someone walked in with street shoes)
2. Both seals of the shower heads were not put into place like ti should, so water went to all directions
3. The windows of the shower have not be cleaned as it should as you could see a lot of striped and wipes over it
For a 5-Star Hotel this is inacceptable
Next morning we went to the Breakfast. Very welcoming service. Nice people working in this hotel with a lot of potential.
I had the bacon, my girlfriend the omelet and I also had an egg. The timer for the Egg was yellow and dirty and sticky, you do not give such a thing to a guest. The omelet was very oily, my girlfriend did not eat it, the bacon was too…tell the cook, that you do not have to add oil to make bacon!
After a nice day of walking and shopping, we came back around 18.30 to the hotel with the idea of using the Osmose Wellness area.
This was the most shocking wellness experience I ever had in a 5 Star hotel. Even in Burkina Faso the wellness areas I have seen were cleaner, maintained and quiet. Here it was horrible for thosde reasons:
1. Wet towels in the preparation showers of the locker rooms that have not been taken away for the whole day as they for wet like the ground itself and the floor has not seen any cleaning for the whole day. Imagine the bacteria these towels concentrate
2. The Shower itself had brown seal around, black spots, the seals again broken (like in the room)
3. The ground in the wellness area such as around the pool had all kind of particles on the floor, it was slippery and wet all over the place, no hanging hooks for your towels, we had to lay them down on the chairs
4. The pool water (after a closer look, because the light of the pool was not working everywhere), had millions of particles swimming in it (looked like skin) so we immediately went out of the pool
5. The Hamm’am felt dirty, the ground was dirty, the seats felt like a layer of lime scale, we felt disgust
6. Went to the sauna to check maybe is better there, well at least there you know that temperature is so high, that bacteria should not survive, but also there the door was not closing well, so the sauna did not have the full temperature, and in fact the sauna was heating the pool area, which was anyway very cold
7. The showers at the Hamm’am and the Sauna had a devastated look. The wall was dissolving itself, the showerhead on the left was ripped off the wall, and the gypsum of the wall was on the ground.
8. The wellness area has rules such as being quiet and to respect the other guests, but with a bunch of young people in the whirlpool that were so loud, this experience was everything else then wellness.
9. I have seen many of those places, but this is the first where there is no one constantly checking or wiping the floor to make sure it looks nice all the time.
10. The person working at the front desk was not friendly at all, apparently she has nothing else to do as to discuss private things on the phone, then to say: Take the towels there, I let you in, that’s it…She could have shown us around, so maybe she would see in what shape the wellness area is.
To be honest, the most shocking was the particles in the water and the wet towels in the showers to avoid slipping.
The rest of the hotel:
Everywhere you can see, that the maintenance has run into a backlog and that nothing is really perfect if you look a little closer. And here just to name parts of them:
1. Chairs in the bar/smokers lounge are losing decoration cloth
2. Cracks in walls, lights not working, paper getting off the wall, metal plates of the lifts on the floor loose
3. Carpet not 100% clean
I would like to offer the GM of the Hotel to show him around for a complete Week-end and to make together with him a list of things that needs to be done, to make this hotel again a 5-Star worth hotel with a unique customer experience. Feel free to contact me
Remarks on the Room:
1. Chairs in the bar/smokers lounge are losing decoration cloth
3. Carpet not 100% clean

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mbierbass
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Les Comtes de Mean, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear mbierbass,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. Please accept our deepest apology for the over all dissatisfaction you had during your stay and any inconvenience the situation may have caused you. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-experience service to our guests. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I am not a Holiday Inn status member. I prefer to keep my top tiers to the Hilton and Marriott brands however this hotel surpassed my expectations. The decor is trendy and hip. There are 2 restaurants and 2 bars, one of which is in a cave like dungeon on the lower floor. Cool. Priority Club members get a free glass of wine at the bar. The main restaurant adjacent to the bar is EXCELLENT.

My room was nice, large soaking tub in addition to a walk in shower. nice touch. My only gripe is the staff speaks mostly French and we don't speak any French so I felt a bit of discrimination however I don't care. I travel enough to know that I'm the weird one. The gym costs extra and valet is a 20 Euro per night.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Crowne Plaza in Liege is extremely nice. The decor is modern and it is centrally located in the city, making it a short walk to all of the sights. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I ordered room service and the food was exceptional.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Top rate hotel. Nothing bad to report other than a shortage of hot water at busy periods. Rooms spacious, clean and well presented. No problems with WIFI encountered. Ideal hotel for business travellers.

Room Tip: I had room 520 whichs has no view however I have had worse. Choose a room which has a garden view if...
Reviewed February 25, 2013

In an earlier review, I wrote that the otherwise most attractive city of Liège in Belgium is not especially rich in first-class hotels that are up to their category - with one possible exception, which I'll mention at the end of this review.

Nevertheless, its Crowne Plaza Hotel, where we stayed at recently, advertises itself as a genuine 5-star venue, magnificently housed in an ancient (18th century) building and conveniently located close to the city center.

Before going into details, let me tackle these claims in reverse order.

From a bird's eye point of view, the last assertion might indeed be true; from a human point of view, I beg to differ - at least when wanting to exit or access the hotel at night, from 8 pm up to 7 am. Indeed, as stated by another TripAdvisor traveler, the place is build on a sheer hill, which means that its main entrance and reception are on the top floor, while most rooms are situated on the floors below, with the well-provided for "wellness center", which includes a gym and swimming pool (see details about the latter), occupies the bottom floor. It must be said that this unusual arrangement occasions some confusion with first-time guests, but that is a minor inconvenience.

What is of interest here, is that there is an access and exit by way of the "wellness-center" entrance, which does indeed lead almost directly to the heart of the town. So far so good - except, as said, at night. All this means that after a night out, one has to climb long flights of steep, and I mean steep, steps (one of Liège's distinguishing features, by the way) to reach the hotel's main entrance. The use of a taxi or car, which entails making several detours, would be useless, given the geographic closeness to the city center. So much for real convenience!

The building. It is indeed impressively and authentically antique - at least in its remaining parts, among which a splendid salon and restaurant area set in a 17th century suite of rooms. Same goes for a magnificent corridor and flight of stairs, inexplicably marred by newfangled, golden 'design' chandeliers. But I would gladly cover such blatant lack of taste with the mantle of charity - were it not that the rest of the hotel interior has been subjected from top to bottom to the same treatment, which goes under the unwarranted header of "renovation". I wouldn't go so far as to compare it with the 'design' of some emirate's resorts (lots of gold and purple and silks and metallic adornments), but what has been conceived here veers dangerously close to such tacky examples - and when not, the designers must not have stayed often at a genuine luxury hotel or made use of its conveniences - as we shall see later on.

As for the 5-star contention, let a few aspects speak for themselves.

The reception. Genuinely friendly (Liège _is_ a friendly city) - but not efficiently devised. Result: long waiting time for checking in - despite two functioning desks. The reason? The receptionists are apparently required at arrival to make an offer to each guest for joining the hotel chain's "rewards program"; and if the guest accepts, the receptionist has to fill in a form and give more explications - all of which needlessly takes up time. As for checking out, in our case we had booked for weekend leisure, so we left at the latest possible time - as do most guests staying for the weekend; moreover, this was a holiday period - the so-called Crocus Week. Result? Huge queues.

The latter is also true for breakfast on weekends. Again a crowd at the latest possible time, signifying queues at the buffet and all tables occupied. This made changing tables near impossible - as we had liked to do. We were indeed seated next to an obnoxious individual making call upon call in a mobile phone, with a voice that could be heard all over the quite large breakfast room. No way to get rid of that "gentleman", with whom the maître d', who had placed us, seemed to be be on intimate terms. As for breakfast itself, which the hotel boasts as being the best in town, it was all right but certainly not exceptional for a hotel of such category - except for eggs prepared on request by a cook. Other reasonably good point: food was amply replenished up to closing time, which is conveniently late on weekends. Staff members on the other hand were at best impersonal, while we could hardly draw their attention - probably due to the rush.

The room. Not exceptionally large and slightly below one might expect in a 5-star hotel. Ours was situated on the "4th floor", which means quite down the hill, in the peculiar layout of this place; and as another TripAdvisor traveler predicted, the view out of the window was dismal (the better views seem to be reserved for dearer rooms). Bed and bedding were up to standard, but again not exceptionally so. The lighting arrangement was practical while, what is often lacking in many hotel rooms, lights could be individually switched on and off on each side of the bed. On the other hand, the available complimentary coffee and tea were sparse, to put it mildly. What's worse: the hotel's claim that free WiFi is available all over the place is, patently untrue, as others already pointed out. In our case, we just got a feeble and not continuous signal in, of all places, the bathroom shower.
As for that decently provided for if not terribly spacious bathroom, towels and toiletries were as one could expect, while, after some searching, one bathrobe and a pair of complimentary slippers could be discovered deep in a cupboard (which means you have to ask for a second set even when yours is a two-persons room). Bad point in the bathroom: the door of the (separate) shower was not watertight - a problem encountered in several new or 'renovated' hotels these days, due to the silly architect notion of making the floor of the bathroom and the shower level. Another sad example of a 'designer' who, apparently, has not tried out such an arrangement himself before finalizing it!

Parking. Situated at some distance from the hotel. There is a perfect and most friendly valet service, however. All this comes at a price: 20 euro per night (extended for the whole day after one has checked out). Quite dear, compared to similar situations.

Finally, the gym and swimming pool. Gym is large and exceptionally well fitted for a hotel - which is due to the fact that the whole "wellness center" is available to the general public for a fee. As for the swimming pool, it is also larger than usual for the same reason. Apart from this apparent advantage, it must also have been 'designed' by someone who has never, but really never swam one length at a reasonable speed in a pool. Indeed, at 3/4 of its length, there is a granite separation with a narrow passage in the middle, which has been placed there for an unfathomable reason. It has certainly nothing to do with varying depths or some similar security ground, since the pool is of the same depth all over. Well, that unnecessary obstacle exhibits needle-sharp edges on all sides, in particular at the corners. Consequently, it's far too dangerous to swim at speed in that pool, even when there are no other guests present, unless one wants to run the risk of seriously injuring oneself.

Considering all this, future Liège visitors would far better fare at the 4-star Jana Hotel, located quite close to this one, but far more conveniently down the hill, and costing considerably less. The Jana, where we stayed twice before, boasts nothing but huge and wonderfully equipped suites, personal service, a comparatively better and more various breakfast, plus a less costly and integrated parking. Since the Jana is quite new, it lacks perhaps atmosphere, but its modernism is at least in good and even luxurious taste - as hotels go. And if you wish for a gym and swimming pool, there is a fully equipped commercial fitness center right across the street that will probably accommodate any sportive guest.

Oh yes, lest I forget: the area where the Crowne Plaza is situated is one of the most picturesque 18th century parts of the city - not often mentioned by its tourist guides or centers and therefore seldom visited. The hotel in question has nothing to do with this directly, but do not hesitate to explore the area when in Liège: you won't regret it!

Room Tip: As said in the review: you better try the Jana, which offers better value for money. And if you real...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Les Comtes de Mean, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear hakutrip,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a comprehensive review about our hotel. I would like to apologize for any shortcomings you may have experienced during your stay. It is my regret that we fell short of your expectations. We are highly motivated by your words and ensure you that we shall continue to strive for excellence. We value your loyalty to our brand and hotels, the feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future to provide you with the service you deserve and expect from a Crowne Plaza hotel.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This hotel is very well located, few hundred meters away from the city center and very close to the Liege-Palais train station (pay attention to the fact that most of the trains arrive at Gare de Guillemins). Rooms are simple and comfortable. The WIFI is free and from their description is available in all the hotel, but it isn't. I had wifi at reception, in the breakfast area and in one of the meeting rooms, but in my room there was no wifi. Also one of my colleagues asked to change the room, in order to have a proper wifi connection and a better view. He was charged another 15 euros per night. So take care on these details when you book. Besides the wifi, the stay in the hotel was pleasant and we all had a good friendly service at reception with helpful touristic advices and information.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liege
Hotel Neuvice
Husa de la Couronne
Husa de la Couronne
#5 of 19 in Liege
Hotel Verviers Van der Valk

Been to Les Comtes de Mean? Share your experiences!