National Coal Mining Museum for England
Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Always something new to do

Reviewed 5 days ago
denathomp69
Leeds, United Kingdom
via mobile
amazing eye opener of a deal. No rip of here. wellworth the 5 hr drive from Scotland

Reviewed 6 days ago
Peter W

2,919 results
All reviews our tour guide above ground kebab nature trail an eye opener all ages my dad children and adults train ride great family day visited today picnic area school holidays fantastic place adventure playground sense of humour free entry
Reviewed 3 days ago

Great place for a few hours with the kids - lots to see above ground with a great playground. The café serves lovely food and over half term we really enjoyed listening to the actors and their talks. Our girls also found investigating the local maps and area with one of the guides really interesting. Lots of free activities on offer in school holidays.

Reviewed 5 days ago via mobile

Lovely place steeped in Yorkshire history. Lots of things to do and see. Child friendly. Lovely nature trail. Fabulous playground. Going down the mine is real experience and makes you grateful it is a line of work you have never had to pursue.

Reviewed 6 days ago

Fantastic day out. Our guide was Paul Grace from Barnsley. Was good to have a genuine ex-miner with a Yorkshire accent great banter and, experience. The 5 hr drive from Fife which in itself was a huge mining community with plenty of memorials but no pits to visit. Newtongrange is our nearest museum but, Caphouse colliery underground experience was a joy. for over 30 years I wanted to see life underground. I did get a start date for Seafield in fife in 1980 but was employed elsewhere so I missed that chance. anyway thanks to museums like this one I finally got down a pit. Our guide Paul was fun, informative and answered all our questions. Price of £5 with a free brass check was excellent value. You could even hand check back for refund but, I certainly never, I would have paid double that no problem. spent 5 hours there (how time flies) A great bonus was the old Hope pit about 5 mins away too. the museums and exhibitions were amazing and a lovely set up, even a model of an old miners house. pity not to be able to get underground photos but safety has to be paramount.free parking but donation of £2 great deal. Café time we went twice. excellent breakfast and meal and not over priced. places like this museum are a great place to look back on our heritage. Welldone Paul and the guys at Caphouse colliery I fr one will definitely return.Oh the baths and locker room sound system banter was good too. I came away with some lovely gifts for my family and myself and, a thousand photos lol. Thanks guys Pete fae Fife.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Booked a mine tour (said to be ca.1hr20) for myself and grandson (7 years) whilst granny and granddaughter (almost 5 years) looked at the other attractions. Tour was taken by ex miner and group consisted of ca. 10 people of which 3 or 4 were young children. The tour took well over the time advised and the younger children were clearly bored well before the end. Our guide should have stuck to showing off the various aspects of the mine with clearer language for the children rather over-politicising the history of the miners struggle with politicians of the day as this clearly extended the tour and also went over the heads of the children and caused their early boredom. It would have also shortened the tour to more acceptable timescale.
Whilst the children's play area was adequate the other aspects of the visit were quite minimal (e.g. 3 ponies in their stable with no contact possible and a short train ride). The cafeteria and the souvenire shop were on a par with small attractions but adequate. Would struggle to make a visit with children last a motning or afternoon without the mine tour. The anti-establishment attitude of the tour guide did not make the tour positively memorable!

Reviewed 1 week ago

The food was delicious but cold! The cold plates let down the chef's beautiful cooking! Think about getting a warning oven for the future!

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

A great afternoon down the pit with Dave Scott very informative and he made it fun. This museum needs to keep be kept open for future generations to understand how important our history is in this county

Reviewed 1 week ago

Have always been interested in our industrial history so have been planning a visit to this museum for some time.
The high point of the visit was the underground tour. The tour guides are all ex miners which makes the experience really authentic.
You by a check disc for £5 which in theory is refundable but I would suggest that the tour is well worth it, and you get to keep the check as a reminder of your visit.
It really opens your eyes to the harsh conditions which miners worked in from Victorian times right up to the time of the pit closures.
I would not hesitate to visit again as the tour, which lasts about 80 minutes, flies by with so much to take in.
I would suggest that it may not be for you if mobility is a problem.
If a member of your party does not wish to go underground there is plenty to see and do on the surface.
Please try the bacon butties from the cafe. They are fantastic.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I loved the experience of going back in time to when my Grandad worked as a coal minor. It's ideal to teach the children of what life was like and give them the experience of going down a mine. Something to remember

Reviewed 1 week ago

Myself and two male friends visited the museum during half term week. One was a retired miner, myself and the other friend had never been down the pit. My grandfather worked on the coal face and following a serious injury he worked above ground in the baths.

We prebooked to go on the underground tour which is a must for anyone who doesn’t suffer from claustrophobia. You pay £5 for a miners check which if you wish you can exchange back afterwards or leave as a donation. Unsurprisingly no one took their £5 back; it represents fantastic value for money. As it was half term our guide explained to us first that he would be pitching things for the kids but as we had an ex miner with us that was fine. Actually it was better than fine, it was brilliant. Our guide ‘Een’ , a retired Geordie miner of substantial bulk was terrific. I won’t spoil it for anyone but his banter, rapport and stories were brilliantly entertaining.

The underground tour lasted about 90 minutes based on mining through the years and is really well done. This is a proper mine and there is no pulling of punches as to what life would have been like down there. If you are up to it go down and experience the humour, emotion, camaraderie and sheer hard work that took place.

Lots to do and see above ground too. Exhibitions, surface support buildings, machines, engineering and so on. The Library was closed (opens Tues/Thurs ). There is a memorial garden and adventure playground which we didn’t really see as we ran out of time. Good cafe as well that does a decent selection of good honest food at a very reasonable price.

We all felt we had had a terrific 6hours and put a few extra quid in the charity donation boxes which are scattered around but not ‘in your face’. A truly memorable day.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I have been underground several times in the past but today was by far the best underground tour that I have experienced. Russ, our guide was both entertaining and informative, using his experience as a miner and his awful sense of humour to great effect!