“Who would have thought?”

National Coal Mining Museum for England
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Overton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The National Coal Mining Museum for England is a unique place where the history of mining over several centuries is preserved both above and below ground. Meet a miner and descend 140m underground on a unique mine tour.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

To be honest we weren't expecting too much of the mining museum. Come on let's face it, it's a museum, free and about mines... But my parents were visiting us in Yorkshire and it was raining (as it does) so we decided to give it a go. Dear were we wrong! The mining museum is the best museum I have visited, ever. I'm not particularly a fan of museums. Usually when I visit a museum it makes me feel good about myself (a bit like when you eat 5 fruit & veg a day) but it's not massively entertaining. Well we did learn about mining in the region and we had a huge amount of fun! I have to say 80% of the fun came from our guide who was absolutely brilliant. He really knew his stuff, was really funny, and seemed to love scaring us a little bit along the way. The scary lift is also an experience not to be missed in itself. At the end of the tour you can give them a contribution to help with the running costs of the museum. Please do give them a little something, it’s a great museum and worth keeping.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,604)
All reviews
"fantastic experience"
in 32 reviews
"train ride"
in 43 reviews
"excellent value for money"
in 26 reviews
in 50 reviews
"sense of humour"
in 50 reviews

Reviewed February 19, 2013

This attraction far exceeded our expectations. Plenty parking. Only £2 to go down the mine for guided tour which last well over an hour. You can even get the £2 back when you return your chip but I guarentee you'll want to make it a donation. Guides very knowledgeable, local and funny. Great with the kids. You can only take 5+ underground but there is adventure playground and indoor activity area for younger kids. Cafe really spacious, lovely food and good value.
Couldn't fault it!!

Reviewed February 19, 2013

What a fantastic place! My aunt and I took my three young boys (age 10, 9 and 6) to the museum and thoroughly enjoyed the tour underground. Our ex-miner guide Chris was absolutely fantastic and really brought life underground alive for them. He remembered all the names of the children in the group, was very hands on and funny.....and was the most broad Yorkshire person I have heard for a long time. Others have said how the trips work, but we all thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to others.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We took the grand children aged 13 and 10 to the National Coal Mining Museum for a day out and give them an insight as to how our country has progressed over the years. It was a lovely day with the sun shining which seems to be missing over recent months. We arrived and booked our tour which was to start at 12-30. As we started to assemble we were told that any item which we had about our person that contained a battery at to be left at the pit head, that included car keys, watches etc. We then given our hard hat and miners battery powered lamp and introduced to our guide for our under ground experience. All that work there are ex coal miners with many years on the coal face and so John [our guide] was well up on what we were about to see. Nineteen of us clambered into the cage that was to take us the 140 meters underground which is the same as the height of the Blackpool Tower. With a slight jolt our journey down into the depths on the earth started. At the bottom we exited the cage and were taken around the mine being shown the coal seem, were told how in years gone by people worked and shown how coal is cut today. The grand children could not get into there heads the 350 million years it had taken for the coal to form but still enjoyed the day. This is a free day out and is very enjoyable and is not just for children but adults will get a lot out of the day to. There is also walks to be had which we would have liked to do but with the very wet ground didn't bother with. 10 out of 10 must be given to this.

1  Thank john-todd13
See more reviews
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Visited today on a school trip and when we arrived we went to see the pit ponies first of all. There was one out and he/she was very friendly with the children. We then went around the pit baths and it was amazing to see the old lockers and showers. After having some lunch we made our way to the mine and we were greeted by some lovely/funny oldish men. We were have a hard hat and a lamp and made our way to the mine shaft to travel 140 meters underground. The mineshaft was big, abit like a lift and fit around 17-19 people in. Our guide, mr green, was fantastic. He was brilliant with all the kids and his stories and information about the mine was fab. We all really enjoyed our visit here and would definately go back again!!!
Thanks mr green for making our day so great, your tour of the mine was amazing and something that will always stay with me now.