“Beautiful Room” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Hasselt
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed here for one night in the Penthouse suite, I can only presume that it had been recently renovated. The bed, pillows and linen where immaculate. The room was very modern and had all the latest electrics, t.v. in the Bedroom, Lounge area and Bathroom. The Bathroom was lovely, bath that was made to accommodate both of us. The balcony had lovely outdoor furniture and accessories, would definitely recommend staying in this room. We had room number 51. We both had different views on the breakfast, I loved it my husband didn't.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ichtegem, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Good hotel , in the centre of Hasselt, with all the accomodation you need! Excellent breakfast and nice rooms. A good adress for business or pleasure! Excellent service and easy to get to, because it's right at the outside of the city centre, but you are 5 minutes away from the mar,et place! Good value for your money!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have posted pictures of Room 25 at the Hassotel. It hasn't been renovated in over 20 years. Compare my photos of Room 25 and the photos the hotel has given to Booking.com and it is clear....it's not the same thing. It's fraudulent to claim that the real Room 25 is anywhere near the quality of the pictures posted at this "trendy boutique hotel" website. The standard room pics on the hotel website are fully renovated.

What made the situation worse is that the hotel desk clerk blamed me for "selecting standard room" and this is what I deserved. The problem with her limp argument is that hotel doesn't post ANY pictures of a standard room and its true dilapidated state. The hotel markets the property as "trendy" and renovated. But the reality is that it is not. Only some of the rooms are. If you look at the other reviews you will find others have had a similar experience.
They didn't even bother to remove the former Best Western logos from the room. Right...a really trendy hotel!

I went down to complain and offered to pay more but the hotel was fully booked. I wasn't going to ruin my vacation over this so I left. Because I made the booking that day, the amount of the room they charged me was 65 euros even though I only stayed 30 mins. They took no responsibility for misrepresenting their product. I have reported them to Booking.com and am requesting a refund for misrepresentation and bad business practice.

I went to the Radisson Blu around the corner and that is truly an honest place to stay. It is a true four star hotel and pictures are truly representative of what you will get. They even upgraded me to a superior room when I told them what the Hassotel tried to pull. The Radisson Blu....that is truly a class act and I whole heartedly recommend them when you have to stay in Hasselt.

But stay away from the Hassotel......it's just an internet rip off.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank MGL324
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

I emailed the hotel in advance to ask about a wired internet connection to log onto an external work server. I also asked about connecting my DVD player to the room TV. A lady from the hotel replied to say that this ought to be possible with my own cables. When I arrived, it appeared as though my required connections weren't possible. I didn't need to protest. The guy at check-in, Mick, upgraded me to a deluxe room. This had a panel on the wall in which one can plug in a PC, DVD, USB etc to the TV. And he called in an external technician who sorted out a wired LAN connection from my room within 24 hours! I could not have asked for more from him. Mick also checked in on a subsequent day to ensure all was in order. That episode, and Mick's genuineness, was enough to win my goodwill. I found the other reception staff also to be very friendly, and three smiling ladies from the housekeeping team would come to clean my room. Everything was always left sparkling clean. So for me the biggest selling point of this hotel is personal service and cleanliness. Next comes the food and location. Hasselt is a small town, so the latter probably isn't a unique feature. As regards food, a lot of locals come to the restaurant to eat. Ask for the local menu, as the English version only has the a la carte stuff on it, and you may get fed up of that after a while. Besides, the fixed price menu is worth trying at least once! As for decor, I understand that most of the hotel is renovated, but there are still some rooms not done. If you get a renovated deluxe room like mine, you'll have a good bed and clean bathroom with sufficient toiletries, flat screen TV, coffee machine, umbrella, a little fridge, bottle of water etc. I also had a little goldfish in a bowl, but I was convinced that it was out to attack me. It seemed very agitated and would knock against the bowl whenever I came into the room. Poor thing - I'd probably be terrified cooped up like that with strangers coming near me, especially ones that look like me. So I asked for it to be removed. Another thing that might bug some people is that the four pillows all seemed the same, extra soft. I guess that's better than all being hard, but I carry my own orthopaedic pillow so it didn't bother me. And maybe because I got the upgrade, my room was on the first floor where the hotel office is, as opposed to a higher floor. But I didn't care one bit, as the cleanliness and my ability to work was much more important. I did not try the gym, but I am told that guests can visit the nearby professional gym. So no dingy exercise room but a proper gym! All said and done, if you are one for chains as opposed to little establishments, then this one isn't for you.

Room Tip: Renovated rooms! Those overlooking the restaurant on the main road are noisier if you keep your win...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mike11in13
Herent, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed here for one night in a standard room following a conference.
The room was old and worn and in need of some refurbishment (the photos of the more modern looking rooms must be the delux rooms/suites). The bathroom was also completely outdated and the toilet didn't flush well.
The room was very warm, but faced a noisy road, so opening windows wasn't an option. In addition to this the air conditioning was extremely noisy.
The mattrasses could also use an update - you could feel the springs. Tv was still a small old 'boxy' model.

On the positive side:
Location was very central.
The conference room facilities were good.

Room Tip: don't book a standard room - go for the delux or a suite!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Roeselare, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed one night in this fashionable design hotel, perfect located in the heart of this vibrating city. After the very friendly and professional check-in, we enjoyed some food & drinks served on their cosy and heated lounge terrace. The Delux-room was very bright, contemporary and with an eye for design and details. We even got our own fish, which we called 'Wanda' :-)
We met with our friends at the "Etage", a high end exclusive rooftop terrace, serving Champagne, Champagne and....Champagne. Sun, good music, nice people,... we felt like real jetsetters :-)
After a good night sleep (very good bed/pillows!!) we enjoyed a well balanced and extensive Breakfast Buffet.
There's no private car park, but there's a large underground car park just behind the hotel, so no problem there to mention. A pitty that the hotel hasn't got any wellness facilities.
Overall, we are definitely coming back as we love the city, its people and this hotel!!
Thanks,
Cédric & Phyllis

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Zwolle, Holland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

This one is very bad:

The bed's are very old.
You smell the kitchen thougout the hotel.
The normal rooms look like there from the 70's, with a old TV.
This hotel in the past a member of the best western chain but there is almost nothing "best" at all. Also it's veryvery noisy and the people are not that friendly.
To avoid.