“Budget Hotels do not need to be this bad....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel de la Basse Sambre

Hotel de la Basse Sambre
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Charleroi
Evergem, Belgium
“Budget Hotels do not need to be this bad....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Booked this place at the last minute during a ATC strike due to it's proximity to Charleroi airport.

Normally I am happy to stay in cheap hotels as I only normally have a few hours before moving on, however this place was truly terrible. It was offered by the booking website I use with a reasonable score of 6.5/10 (shame on you booking.com!!).

Place is dirty, fittings worn out and the first room I was given was infested with bed bugs.

Second room stank of cigarettes but by that point I accepted as it was 1am and I needed some sleep.

Missed breakfast as it looked totally unappetising.

Avoid this place unless you are desperate.

On the other site it is convenient to the airport (15mins by car) and to be fair the staff were quite friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Neil646

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Let's face it, Charleroi is a dump, even for Belgium and the only reason you would stay here is because you're trying to be somewhere else.

On the plus side: no gunshots, nothing living in my room, pleasant and helpful chap on reception, beds clean and comfortable.

And there it ends.

Obviously an ex-Etap my expectations were not of four star opulent luxury. However, The photos on the web are clearly quite old. This place has seen better days, possibly before the Great War. The handyman needs to learn how to use Polyfilla and it lacked basics like more than one socket to charge things and a plug for the sink.

For the same price you could get an Etap / Ibis Budget or even Holiday Inn Express. Haven't tried breakfast yet but disappointed with vfm overall so far. I hear breakfast is excellent - let's hope so.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gooner1989

Travelers are raving about these Charleroi hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life and I really wished I had read the reviews before I booked. Ok, it was cheap, so I didn't expect luxury but I did expect cleanliness. When I complained, I was told, 'what do you expect this is only a 2 star hotel.' Spent most of the time wondering about Charleroi in the rain, rather than spend a minute there.

The room was filthy and had a vile smell. We had to sleep with the windows open even though it was freezing.

Went to the airport 4 hours early just to get away.

Room Tip: I would be surprised if there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I booked this hotel when going through Belgium because of its closeness to the motorways. However I usually read Trip Advisor before booking, but this time I was in a hurry and forgot...Big mistake. This hotel is trashy, smelly and possible unhealthy to stay at. The stairway and hall smelled of urine, it was stainted and generally in a bad shape. The 3-person room was small, and has a not-recognizable smell (dirt?). The window were small, and outside there was the roof of the lower floors just below the window. Someone could (not that it happended) step out on the roof and look right into our room. And sometimes that does happend, because the roof were scattede with cigaretbutts, empty cans and and other trash. Breakfast was very scarse. Just toast (top it with cheese or jam if you like), cereal and some juice and bad coffee. Would never stay there again, and will not recommend it to anyone else!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank thvid
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had an early flight and we had to return car so this was the only reason we stayed in this hotel. I read reviews on the website we booked through and did not expect much to be honest. However it was much worse what described by travelers who stayed there before. Hotel is located exactly 12km away from the airport. If you have no gps you will be looking for this hotel for hours. Even with gps was not easy. If you have no car, hotel can organise a taxi for you for €15 but you have to let them know in advance. Breakfast was included in the price but because we were leaving early (4.30am) I assumed that breakfast could not be provided at that time. Also on check-in hours breakfast hours were not advised and I forgot to ask at the end. The wifi connection was very poor, we had to go to reception as signal upstairs was not sufficient to connect to any webpage. Rooms are really awful. Horrible smell on the corridors and in the room was even worse (kinda toilet smell) . We had to keep window open all night. There are non -smoking signs on the corridors but ashtrays are provided so a bit of contradiction. Carpets did not see a hover for a number of months. There was two of us in the room but only one hand towel provided so had to go to reception to ask for extra towels. Again, only small hand towels were given to me. Bathroom was dirty and shower disgusting. It was definitely not cleaned after previous guest. No hairdryer in the room so went down to reception again. Obviously they did not have it. There is no shampoo, neither shower gel. I would recommend to bring it from home. I would not stay in this hotel again even though was cheap.

The guy at reception was polite but did not speak much English so if you speak French or Dutch (Belgian Dutch) you will be fine. - Other positive things were location of the hotel and free parking outside the hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joannajamie
Flitwick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Good points:
The bed was comfortable.
The hotel wireless internet was excellent, and included in the room price (41 euro per night)
The plumbing worked well - hot water was instant just like in your home.

Bad points:
Nobody cleaned my room during my 6 night stay.
The room was very small, and previous guests had spilled drinks against the walls - nobody had ever wiped these spills off the walls. As an experiment I cleaned off one spill - it was really easy. If they took a wet cloth and soap to clean the walls they could make them clean - but they cannot be bothered.
The floor was so badly stained that I did not recognise it as carpet at first. The floor was otherwise tolerably clean - except for a 1cm wide edge next to the walls, which was white with dust.
There was a bad smell in the corridor to my room. This was probably due to lack ventilation of the bathrooms. In the morning after my first night at the hotel, I noticed people carrying caged rabbits from the hotel to their car. A colleague thought they were cats.
To avoid the bad smell, I had to sleep with the window open at night - and so was bitten by mosquitoes every night.
Traffic noise from the Charleroi ring-road woke me most mornings at 05:00.
Breakfast was spartan - coffee, orange juice, cereal, rolls, croissants, with ham, cheese, jam, or other spreads. A good place to go if you want to lose weight, as you will not want to eat much.
You have to pay in advance - I paid two days at a time. On the Wednesday I was woken by the receptionist at midnight, who wanted me to pay for Wednesday night and Thursday night.
The "bathroom" was adequate (except for ventilation). The room had a toilet, a shower and a washbasin. The hotel provides towels, tablets of soap, but not shampoo. It does not provide a hairdrier.
The fire exit on the ground floor near my room was blocked by a larger than man-size pot plant.

I left the hotel early, and booked into a nice hotel for the last night of the trip. I wish that i had changed earlier - but this was difficult, because I was depending on the organisation I was working with to provide me with transport. If someone suggests that i stay at the Basse Sambe Hotel again, I will say no.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Toddy761
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

My husband, in-laws and myself were visiting a friend in Charleroi who booked us into this "hotel" for one night. We arrived around midnight, quite exhausted, and found the check-in staff member quite efficient but not overly friendly. When we got to our rooms, I was horrified by the appearance, but this was nothing compared to the shock of sitting on a bed that felt like there was a dead body in it - flat and lumpy at the same time! Being exhausted, we fell asleep quite quickly, but I was awoken around 2 am by people arriving into the lobby (6 - 8 rooms away) under the influence of alcohol. I proceeded to spend the night listening to the snorer in the room next door, and scratching at whatever it was that was nipping my legs. I dozed off again around 4 am and awoke at 7 to bites all over my legs. I'm in the travel industry and have stayed in hundreds of hotel rooms around the world, but never one this disgusting! Do yourself a favour and don't stay here!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Cato05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleroi
Leonardo Hotel Charleroi City Center
#5 of 9 in Charleroi
Ibis Budget Charleroi Aeroport
Ibis Charleroi Centre Gare
Hotel Balladins Charleroi / Airport

Been to Hotel de la Basse Sambre? Share your experiences!