“A Parisian Bistro Better Than What You Could Find In Paris”
Review of Saint Boniface

Saint Boniface
Ranked #381 of 3,557 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A Parisian Bistro Better Than What You Could Find In Paris”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I told my soul mate we had to write this place up.

She said don’t.

I said why not.

She said don’t.

Again, I said why not.

She conceded – I don’t want too many people to know about this place because it will be hard for us to get in there in the future.

I get it – except we were there for the first time just two days ago. I guess that says something about how much she loved it.

This place is a throw back to what you would expect Paris to be 30 years or so ago. The tables look like they are stuck in time. So does the decor. We asked the front desk how long they had been there - more than 25 years. That explained it all. This is the original family running the place.

We began with a classic asparagus dish – white asparagus with a light butter sauce and chopped hard-boiled egg. And a little fresh parsley tossed on top. Folks, if you are in Brussels now or the next few weeks, track down white asparagus on any menu. It is incredible. Some places are better than others but you cant go wrong….
This place is awesome -

We ordered two dishes to share – cassoulet and duck confit.

Let’s start with the cassoulet - A lot of cassoulet dishes are really good and this is right up there. Great duck confit, wonderful sausage, both plain and smoked. Good potato. But what made this stand out was the beans – they use tarbais.

I have had cassoulet at a number of top Paris haunts – and this beats them.

My duck confit was perfect – moist, succulent and delivered on a bed of sautéed mushrooms and potatoes. Incredible.

If you are reading this , we don't want you to go here – we want our seat!

Enjoy!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank Ricky R

Brussels
“Just what I was looking for..”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I found out tonight that I was accepted to a graduate program and was given a big scholarship. To celebrate, we chose this place to eat it. It's tucked away in very trendy part of Brussels full of interesting restaurants and a big Cathedral. The restaurant is just what I was looking for... a cozy, French bistro style restaurant with authentic food. It's not too big, not too small and full of charm and I didn't hear any tourists. The servers are nice, informative. And the food is really nice... felt like I was eating in Julia Child's kitchen. Since it set out to be French bistro, and it does that very well, I give it 5 stars. Definitely will go back again!

• Visited April 2013
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Great Value Lunch”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

A small, charming restaurant decorated in bistro style with checked tablecloths and old posters, pictures and bric-a-brac decorating the walls. We were looking for somewhere for lunch in the St Boniface area on a cold and wet Monday afternoon, and found this to be one of the few places open. Initial impressions on walking in off the street were good – we were greeted efficiently and seated in the front dining room, bursting with old posters, pictures and interesting curiosities from floor to ceiling. The front of house/waitress then took our order, and sternly corrected our attempts to translate the French menu into English – clearly this was her role and she took it seriously! The lunchtime specials list was not extensive, but sounded appetising and with all less than €15, represented good value for Brussels. We choose the country pate and tete de veau for starters, both uncomplicated dishes but relying heavily on good preparation. Both were excellent with enjoyable combinations of flavour and texture. The pate with bread, chutney and pickled cornichons was particularly good and popular with knowing regulars. For mains we had the boudin (both noir and blanc) with mash and apple sauce, and the rabbit casserole, cooked with wine, pearl barley, lardons and mushrooms. The boudin was meaty with its strong, iron flavours complimented by the sweet apple sauce, the rabbit casserole well-balanced and tasty. Again both very good, and suitably accompanied by a couple of glasses of decent house wine. A very good lunch at an excellent price.

• Visited February 2013
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Very good restaurant, one of these hidden gems in Brussels”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This place never disappoints me, I've been there several times and always had excellent food and service. It's a cosy little French restaurant. What can I say, excellent food , good and personal service, good wine and price is OK. It's well worth the try. Closed on Mondays and I recommend a reservation.

• Visited October 2012
Brussels, Belgium
“Typical French regional dishes”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Very charming restaurant, very cosy. You feel relaxed when you are dining here. The most particular thing to mention is the rich offer of plates, with many very typical French dishes, as "bavette", typical "saucissons", "andouillette", "cassoulet", ... You will find most regional French specialities here. The service is very kind. In summer, you can sit on the terrace outside, in the back of the building where there is no noise at all. Reservation recommended as there are not so many tables on the terrace.

• Visited July 2012