“fish, fish and fish”

Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I often go to this brasserie/restaurant because it's a very reliable place for fish. I suppose it's rated in all tourist guides with the risk that you end up eating next to a noisy group of 20 tourists. Nevertheless it's a very good restaurant if you like fish. The menu, a fish soup, entree, menu and dessert is very reasonably priced and you'll enjoy the belgian/french cuisine. You'll get free fresh shrimps in summer/autumn. The service is correct but not more than this; dishes come very quickly one after the another.

1  Thank Bart D

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have been dining at this place almost any time I go to Brussels over the last 15 years and I have never failed to be fully satisfied by the experience. I usually choose the set menu, which is excellent value. The place is no frills, and the service is efficient, sort of brisk but not unfriendly. I love this place.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

I really liked this restaurant. from outside it looks a bit dodgy, inside instead the decoration is very pleasant, proper but friendly. the cooking was very good and there is an effort in presentation of the dishes. prices are good, especially with the menus (20 euro starter and main for lunch, 4 dishes for 27..50 both lunch and dinner time).
I thought the service was very good, they found us a place without reservation (last table available in the restaurant) without fuss, and I really appreciated, after ordering 2 bouillabaisse, that the serving portion was very big, were we very hungry or would we rather share a serving between the two of us? we agreed to share, but we also ordered starters, so everybody was better off from the polite exchange.
i'll come back and recommend.

1  Thank elledeca
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The staff is unfriendly, cold, no smiling. Service was horrible as it was written it is a tasty seafoods restaurant. We went to 2parsons but the waiter he served only one person's dish and never apologized have for my dishes.Just looked down us. I am wandering why the reputation in the website is so great. I never go to this restaurant anymore and it made me a horrible memory in
Bruxelles by this restaurant.

1  Thank Fumiko1
Reviewed May 7, 2013

On a recent late April, Tuesday evening, we walked through the St. Catherine’s area of Brussels to check out which of the many seafood restaurants appeared busiest. There were only a few that seemed to have but a handful of seats available at 7:30 p.m. – we picked one we had visited before to see if it matched our earlier experience.

It did.

Bij den Boer is a place that attracts a lot of locals – a combination of couples out for the night, some tables that sounded like a spillover conversation from the office and groups of friends getting together. We think we were the only English-speaking people in the restaurant.

We shared a wonderful white asparagus dish that came with a poached egg and a nice butter-cream sauce sprinkled with small shrimp. The addition of the shrimp was a nice touch on this classic asparagus dish. I had a couple of glasses of the house wine – a nice, soft red from the south of France.

Next came the main course – my sweetie had an amazing Turbot, plainly grilled with a sauce on the side that actually didn’t do much. She also had a side of mixed vegetables that were perfectly cooked.

I had grilled salmon with a Béarnaise sauce. A small salad and fries that came with the dish. The salmon was cooked to perfection. I’m not usually a sauce person but this one was very good and a great compliment to the salmon.

We were so stuffed we couldn’t make it to dessert. All at a pretty reasonable price point.

We were one of the last tables to be filled by walk-ins. So, unless you go around 7 p.m. or earlier, it is best to try to make a reservation. We’ve eaten at a few restaurants in the St. Catherine’s area and this is by far our favorite.

A keeper.