“Nice, interesting and overpriced”
Review of Bon Bon

Bon Bon
Ranked #6 of 3,579 Restaurants in Brussels
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Brussels, R?on de Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
“Nice, interesting and overpriced”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We celebrated the new year with colleagues with a dinner at BonBon. The taxi ride to the place acts as a nice transition from everyday to festivity and the ambiance of the restaurant is original. We had a 5 course menu: starting with scallop carpaccio, some plate in obscure format with avocado, a foundueish veal carbonnade served inside a bone, lamb with an African peanut crust, some beer mousse, tray of cheese and a dessert of pineapple with spices and a nicely matching peachy moscato. I had to write this down because to be blunt, out of the menu the only thing that I was able to remember was the last dessert and wine combination. In short it was parade of foams and mousses that maybe appeals more to someone with finer taste buds than mine. I have had my share of 1 and 2 star restaurants but prefer a cosy basic style with less fuss and simpler display. Anyhow in short the quality and service is impeccable, but with price for the menu pp 120,- wines 50,- cheese 17,-+ a bottle of champagne + coffees etc. I just think this adds up to too much.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Philotei

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Brussels, Belgium
“Good, but too expensive”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Invited by a colleague, I had lunch yesterday. We ordered the so called Market menu, more expensive than the dayly lunch wich looked like better.
I was glad that my colleague had to pay, and not myself!
I will never suggest such a restaurant with a exagerated reputation.

• Visited February 2012
Pepingen, Belgium
“One of the best restaurants in Brussels”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Constant quality, value for money... Not on the cheap side but you shouldn't go for cheap when looking for good food. Great service and valet parking.

1 Thank CochraneBrussels
Hoeilaart
“Excellent but way over-priced”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

The owners have moved in in this newly refurbished restaurant only in May. They have managed to create a stylish restaurant thet yet breathes a relaxed atmosphere. We really felt welcome there and at ease. The young owners and the young staff have understood that you want to have an immaculate service without feeling yourself inside some court protocol. Great job.
The chef-owner came to speak to us about what we should eat, what adds to the good atmosphere very much and shows a greta interest in his guests. The four course meal, with accompanying wines, we decided on started with a series of four tiny amuses bouches. Different, delicious and they really 'amusaient nos bouches'. Unfortunately I am not able to describe with some accuracy how the composition of our starter was, Partly due to the many ingredients that were on the "plate" but on the other hand due to the incomprehensibly quick spoken franch of the waiter. (Tiny point of attention??). The wine, a godella based white wine matched the dish splendidly. Hence the sea bass appeared. Cooked under a rock of broken oyster shells and seaweed this was one of the best sea bass that we ever ate. A dish of multi start level (they passes 1 Michelin star). However the wine, a Macon Villages (Chardonnay) was no match for the dish. Why not serve a albariño, verdejo or sauvignon blanc? The dish really deserved something better. Next was the lamb. I fillet again extremely well prepared, good cuisson, with a nice 100% trempranillo wine. Good choice. The sezchuan peanutbutter crust on the lamb fillet, however was a nice experiment that absolutely failed. The taste of the peanuts goes far above the taste of the meat. A pity!! The dessert consisted out of two halves presented on two plates. I am not so much into desserts, but it was OK. The Muscato d'asti was quite full bodied for this type of wine.
So we were happy about the reaturant, extyremely happy about the service and happy about the food, though the chef can improve his work here and there. Of course we were not waiting for a cheap check, but even taking into account the high quality of the experience, I must say that the check was outrageous. Having a set menu with accompanying wines you don't expect to pay way over 300 euros for two.

• Visited December 2011
Brussels, Belgium
“Mediocre cuisine at 3* prices”
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Went with my wife and two friends. Chose the 5 course menu with wine. The room itself is very nice and the staff courtiuos in general. The food itself was nothing special. We eat in starred establishments frequently but would safely say this was the worst planned and executed food we've eaten in a starred restaurant.
Of our 5 courses three were seafood based ( langoustine, turbot and cod) the two fish dishes were served with mushrooms, one with cepes( just out of season) and the other trumpet de morts. Both indistinguishable from each other. My turbot was translucent and undercooked. I asked the waiter if it was meant to be this way more as a sarcastic comment rather than complain. He told me it was cooked so I had turbot sushi whilst my three companions therefore had vastly overcooked turbot (it was perfect just not translucent like mine)
They then asked us did we want to have our cheese before or after the dessert. We didn't realize cheese was a course on the menu. They never gave us wine to have with the cheese so we asked 3 times over the next 15mins to get topped up.
The coffees arrived without even a lotus speculoos biscuit. At this level you expect at least one petit four.
The bill arrived with a 72€ surcharge for the cheese, and another 24€ for the wine top up. At no point did they say that these were extra. The bill came to 879€ for 4.....same as what we spent for comme chez soi.
The worst thing was though, on speaking to our dining companions the following week we discovered they were unhappy about the experience also. I decided to send an email. I wasn't expecting a detailed response but was at least expecting some reply of receipt but they never even bothered to reply. Arrogance to the highest level. Won't be back

• Visited November 2011