“Not the tastiest Greek restaurant in town and not so cheap either”
Review of El Greco

El Greco
Ranked #261 of 3,778 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Decided to have lunch here on a weekend and the place was packed. We were lucky that there was a table leaving so we were seated immediately.

Once you're seated, they immediately bring you a small plate of white beans with feta cheese, and some tiny pieces of what appears to be ground beef with mustard. Not bad for a restaurant in Belgium as many don't even offer free bread.

Even though the place was packed, orders were taken fast, but the food did take a bit to arrive.

We had the yuvetsi, a platter with different things on it, and the chicken stewer. Although the food look appetizing, the Greek flavor simply wasn't there.

Unlike other reviewers I'm not going to say the food was totally bland, but definitely if you want really tastier Greek food in Brussels, I would recommend Amiros at Rue de Deux Eglises (Saint Josse) and even L'Atlantide on Rue Franklin, close to Schuman.

On the positive side, the portions are good sized so after a meal you won't be hungry, but the plates were simply lacking punch in the taste department. You can even find better tasting Greek dishes at many of the local Markets around Brussels. There is a stand in Place Jourdan on Sundays that sells way better tasting Greek food than you find at this restaurant, and obviously for one third of the price.

This is the one time that I'll say tripadvisor reviews on this restaurant aren't accurate in terms of the food tasting good. Maybe if you never ever had Greek food before you will think the food is excellent, but otherwise, I definitely wouldn't go back since as I mentioned before, better tasting Greek food is found in Brussels. Can't say is the worse Greek I've had either, but the food here is just simply not tasty enough.

We got the desserts and those were indeed pretty good. Also, people complain about the service, but given that there are 2 waiters and the place is packed, I think the waiters were doing well on servicing their tables.

Yes, if you're coming from the USA and you expect the waiter to come to you every 5 minutes asking how the food is or if you need anything else, then sure, horrible service. But if you're used to the Belgian style of serving, I say service is actually good. :)

Also, price wise, the yuvetsi was 16 euros, and the chicken skewer was 16 euros, which is definitely not a bad price for the area. However, the platters start close to 30 euros, and for that amount of money, I would expect the food to taste way better that it actually does.

I wouldn't go back as I know where to find better Greek food in Brussels.

Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

This place is awful. The service is rude, and like others have said the waiters ignore you and treat you like an inconvenience. The food is bland and overpriced. Don't bother.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

A Greek restaurant in the heart of Brussels in the Grand Place. Perfect location for the summer's light show, small but cosy with a beautifull fireplace. The owner is actually Greek-Cypriot and the food is delicious!

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was staying in Brussels with a group of people from the UK for three days in November 2013.

On my final night there was no formal dinner, so I opted to find a Greek restaurant in Brussels. I chose El Greco because of its location on the Grand Place. Despite having no website it did have some good reviews online and looked an interesting place to eat.

I was pleasently surprised at how good the restaurant was - I really enjoyed my Giouvetsi (a dish I ate in Syros, Greece earlier in the Summer). The service was excellent, and it seemed that Imost of the Greek community of Brussels was eating there! There was some live music when I was there too, which I enjoyed.

The owners are Greek, and speak Greek - extremely useful for me, a Greek speaker... I also don't speak French or Flemish, so I didn't have to resort to speaking English which is what I spent most of my time in Belgium doing.

I don't know when I will be back in Brussels - but I would certainly eat here again if I had the chance!

1  Thank Fred H
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Went tonight with my husband and decided to have the royal mezza. We noticed every other table that sat down we're given a taster plate of meatballs - we were not. The waiter was actually quite rude never seeing if we wanted another drink, not offering desert even though it was included in the set meal. We even noticed the table next to us with Japanese tourists were short changed by 10 euros when they queried this he disappeared and returned and threw the 10euro note at them with no apology. The other thing we noticed is our mezza was meant to be for 2 people however one of their friends sat at the next table and had the same quantity on her own. The food was ok, and I'm sure if you are friends with the pekoe that work there then they will fall over backwards for you - they clearly aren't keen on tourists for whatever reason. I wouldn't recommend unless you speak good French. A very surreal point of the evening was the man serving us who couldn't break into a smile suddenly started dancing with another waiter and everyone was cheering once the music ended the sullen face returned. Not a good experience.