“Very poor service”
Review of Les Chapeliers

Les Chapeliers
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
Les Chapeliers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,179 of 3,778 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant is just another branch of La Rose Blanche restaurant located at the Grand Place. Same menu exactly. The food is okay, but the service (like many of the Brussels restaurants I visited) is horrible. Again, 1 waiter tending to all the needs of the whole restaurant. I don't mind waiting, BUT the problem was with the waiter. He would come to us, we'd ask him about a dish, he'd throw a word at us that doesn't really make any use for us and leaves and makes us wait for another 5-7 minutes. He did that to us about 4-6 times! It really got to my nerves. He wouldn't attend us properly and take our order completely. When he borough our food, he didn't even pass by to check if we needed anything else, which we really needed because they didn't offer us any condiments with our food like ketchup or mayo. He didn't even provide a breadbasket but he did to a close by table. Very bad service. Not worth the money.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

Bruxelles has plenty of good restaurants, with friendly setting and friendly staff. Les Chapeliers is definitely not one of these. Apart its location, near the Grande Place almost anything else is disappointing. I stopped there with my family for a lunch on Sunday. No welcome and no smile. We should have left at that moment but the rain started to pour outside and we were also hungry. We ordererd a soup for our little daughter - 1 year - and asked to bring it faster than the rest of the meals. It was brought together with the rest and we had to specifically ask for it, although the restaurant was not busy. The soup was a total disapointment - truly disgusting. Our baby could not eat it and she is not a picky child.
I ordered mussels on white wine sauce - they were good but the white wine sauce was absent.
At some point în the lunch I started to look for the waiter, as I wanted to have a second beer. It took me 5 long minutes until I caught his attention - the restaurant is tiny. I made a sign, calling him to the table with a "Monsieur!". To my surprise, he arrived with the bill, even if I did not ask for it. I explained him that I wanted a beer, not the check. Than came our biggest surprise, with the waiter starting to shout that I am not polite and that people in Brussels are polite. I was thinking that bringing the bill before we finished our lunch was like an "invitation" to leave (perhaps unintended but still an error)
We were all puzzled by his attitude but decided not to reply to what was an attack on the customers. We paid the bill and went out without ordering the desserts and coffee we initially intended.
We will never come back and tourists in Brussels should be aware that the place is below reasonable expectations.

ATGP, Gérant at Les Chapeliers, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you very much for this feedback - I am totally shocked by your comments as it is absolutely not in our values to deliver such a poor service - We do train our staff to welcome and serve customers properly - I transferred your feedback to the chef and the waiter in order to have their explanations - Be assured that we will work hard in order to avoid such situation in the future - Thank you again for your constructive comments. Best, Julien

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Small Restaurant beside the Grand Place, good food, very good beer (of course - you are in Belgium)! Prices at Brussels level.

I had the vol au vent, came with very good Belgian fries, two Grimbergen brun, no complaints.

Also try the bar on the left side!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Good spot right next to the main square but food was just average. Steak was OK but could've been bigger. The chicken salad was average. Don't leave it too late to eat as some other customers were turned away as the kitchen was shut even at 10.15pm on a Friday evening.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This restaurant was recommended for my mother's 83rd birthday. When we called in to book they promised to do something special. Booking was essential since they would be full. - We were caught - turned out that we were alone in the restaurant and absolutely nothing was done to help make a special occasion out of the evening. Not the slightest effort. As for the food it was frankly disappointing for all of us- The gluten-free meal came in a pastry case; The moules in garlic had never seen even a bit of garlic powder let alone the fresh garlic I was waiting for- just full of celery and swimming in over a litre and a half of liquid. The paté starter was very heavy and repeated for 24 hours etc. For nothing could we say 'well THAT at least was really good' (crème brulé not bad) The server - only one seen - was pleasant and chatty but let us down with his false promises. The décor and location set it up to be great - maybe we just hit a bad evening - but it was most disappointing having got the family together from all over the world for what was to be a simple but fun meal. What's more Having slipped my shoes off after a day of sightseeing I stuck to the floor on a piece of chewing gum - this did not help even if the restaurant can maybe not be held responsible for this it had probably only been there since midday. But I will spare the details of getting rid of it.