“Awesome Mussels”
Review of Chez Leon

Chez Leon
Reserve with
Save up to 50% when you reserve online *
Chez Leon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #197 of 3,829 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Chez Leon is found on an old cobbled street in Brussels. Our meal was delicious but the mussels were some of the best I have ever had. I ordered a bucket. Our table of 4 shared and there were plenty for all to enjoy. The sauce the mussels where cooked in was rich with celery and parsley in a wine and maybe cream base. The flavor was excellent and the mussels were cooked just right. I've had mussels at several restaurants in Brussels but the ones at Chez Leon were by far the best.

Write a ReviewReviews (6,421)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

If you want to eat somewhere along the side streets around the Grand Place, this is a good option. The mussles are actually very good and the rest of the menu is reliable. They are family friendly and were very accomodating when we ate here for lunch (have a 6 year old and two new born twins!). They helped with the stroller and found us a place out of the way. Not the best meal, but a pleasant one in an area where you can certainly go wrong with some other choices.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Just a block or two off the Grand Place, I've ended up here twice and both times come away with the same feeling that the meal was OK, but I wish I'd hunted a bit harder to find something a bit better. The portions are small, the atmosphere lively and the service grumpy. However, the food is quite good and the prices reasonable for Brussels; the moules with a curry cream sauce were very nice.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Mussels and frites were very good. Our adjoining tables seemed to be locals and I did note that the waiter didn't ask them if they wanted to leave something extra for a tip. Was he trying to dupe an American?

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I took my wife and 2 boys to Belgium and was enticed to eat here by a recommendation from a guide book and the promise of a free menu for children under 12. I ordered the steamed mussels with chips, my wife had a traditional Flemish carbonade, and my boys each had a generous serving of chicken, chips and gravy. The mussels were delicious, but the chicken was a bit overcooked and the carbonade a bit under-seasoned. However, that would not have led to a poor review. While we were eating, my wife and I witnessed a waiter drop a loaf of bread on the floor, and the Manager on shift picked up the loaf, put it back in the basket with the other bread and went on as if nothing had happened. The place where the bread fell was right in the most heavily trafficked area of the restaurant, between the kitchen, bathroom and entrance...no clean floors there! Once we saw that, we were done with the place. Too bad...based on the many positive reviews we read, we were hoping for more.