“Great authentic Japanese food with un-Japanese service.”
Review of Yamayu Santatsu

Yamayu Santatsu
Ranked #255 of 3,804 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We dine at this restaurant on a monthly basis.

We have always cherished a love-affair with Japanese food and so it is no suprise that food-wise we love this place.

I would suggest any sushi dish (freshly made with the best fish in town), gyoza, any tofu dish.

This is a lovely but pricey place. In addition, the manager is rather unfriendly until you answer in Japanese ;)

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

First you must find it. Some useful info: if you can't find Chaussee d' Ixelles, try in your navigator Elsense, Steenweg

Crowded, cavernous little place, very frantic staff, the chefs are busy rolling and producing sushi and the clients are busy consuming it. Uwa beer is rather blant for 5 euros. The assorted sushi is very good. Fresh, and tasteful!
The gyoza is spicy and tasty but not terrific, too salty. Grilled salmon was also way too salty..

The lady does not seem so bad as she is described in other reviews, however I have to admit I was very careful because I didn't like to find out..

1  Thank zuiveld
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Only for people who knows what to order.Very fresh,very..Nihongin ;-)
YAkitory,sushi,sashimi and birru. If you want to eat Japanese, this is the place to go (you feel like in Kobe)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

if you are looking for good sushi, and authentic Japanese food, then this is the place for you. the sashimi is the freshest I've had in Brussels. Certain dishes require a pre-order, such as the chirashi which is exquisite and artistically presented, and their " cook at your table" sukiyaki (delicious and plentiful), and teppan yaki. Their ramen and soba is very authentic. The head waitress is a bit grumpy at first, but once she gets to know you, she will break a smile. But the food is so good, it is worth the visit.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

It is difficult to eat delicious Japanese sushi in Finland. We visited 'Yamayu Santatsu' with great hope because we knew Japanese sushi-chef was working there.

The crispy grilled fish skin that was first of all served in a plastic bowl smelled fishy. This was complimentary but was lacking in elegance, nevertheless. If the fish was really fresh enough, it would not be so much smelly.

Since I don't understand French, I asked one of the wait staffs to bring English or Japanese menu instead if available. Shortly, he brought a Japanese menu for us, but surprisingly no price was indicated in the menu. (The Price of food was clearly indicated in the menu written in French.) It is likely that a high-class sushi restaurant in Japan would change the price of sushi according to the daily market price of the ingredient without indicating the price in the menu. But, this is not Japan. Treat Japanese customers equally.

We then asked a Japanese lady, who was seemingly a manager of the sushi restaurant, about the price. She looked at us as if she could be bothered by us and said, "I will let you know one by one if you ask me the price."
We were stunned with her impersonal hospitality and could hardly remember what she said.

We ordered superior assorted sushi which included 10 pieces of nigiri, 2 pieces of tuna maki, and egg-roll. In addition to that, we also ordered 'Chawan-Mushi (steamed egg hotchpotch)' and 'Tempra Udon (Japanese noodle).' The taste of sushi was relatively better if taking sushi available in overseas country into consideration. But, I felt a total price of 70 euro was too expensive for that service.

The attitude of the lady was so negative and impolite when I tried to pay with credit card. So, I continuously felt uneasy until the very last minute. The other staffs looked much better than that lady. Unfortunately, the lady destroyed the whole atmosphere of the sushi restaurant. I think the lady should be harmful rather than helpful for Yamayu Santatsu. I would never recommend this sushi restaurant to my friends.

10  Thank koalachef