“Very tasty dishes”

Ranked #587 of 3,759 Restaurants in Brussels
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Recommended by the hotel staff as a place the locals frequent. I asked for something in the local style and the carbonnade was fantastic. I went back again. With my dishes and some of the girlfriend's I had or sampled four main dishes. They were all good tasty fare. I would have tried more dishes but was only in Brussels for a short stay. Only three beers on draught but they were all good. I could have eaten there every day for a week or more. Four stars because the food was very good and hearty but not haute cuisine. The prices at approx 14euro for the main dishes would have been excellent value with a more traditional GBP to Euro rate, but the sickly pound when I went meant the meals were merely good rather than exceptional value. I'd still go back again and again though.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Recommended by a friendly local for serving authentic Belgian dishes, the cosy Skievelat is close to the Sablon on a hidden corner.

Friendly service, highly tolerant of my rusty French dishes are hearty if vegetable poor. My beef stew with a base I think thickened with speculoos-type bread was delicious and hearty. The frites were, of course, perfect.

Wine by the glass, crusty French bread served as in Paris and more locals than tourists underline the authenticity of the venue.

Recommended.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

The food here is really good and there's a great variety of choices. The staff are friendly and speak English. There is also a full bar with great cocktails and a few beers on tap.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were recommended this small, quiet restaurant by our receptionist. A good choice. We soon got used to the fairly dark environment, at least we could read the quite large and varied menu. We had decided that this would be a "frites-free" weekend and the menu had plenty of alternative choice. John's lamb of the day (well-cooked shank) with a prune sauce was very good, though the (rather small) extra green salad did not seem to be 5 euros worth. Caroline had a pleasant pasta. We chose (and enjoyed) Belgian beer rather than wine. As two courses were included in the menu of the day (that's my excuse) I also had lemon sorbet. Very atmospheric, freshly cooked food, good prompt service. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The food was quite good at this casual restaurant west of the Grand Place, but the waiter absolutely refused my request for plain tap water instead of wildly overpriced bottled water. The waiter chastised me by claiming that it is impossible to get tap water at any restaurant in Belgium, never mind that the night before we were served tap water with ice upon request without a song and dance. He continued to argue with me long after I had given up the fight. I certainly would have given this restaurant a higher rating if this waiter had believed that the customer is always right, instead of insisting that we buy (for 3.5 euros) a tiny bottle of Perrier. Unfortunately, this colored my entire experience. Very unfortunate.

1  Thank LWL3333