“The most fantastic desert we have ever tasted.”
Review of Scheltema

Scheltema
Ranked #99 of 3,557 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: French, Belgian, Seafood, European, Gastropub, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in the historic centre of Brussels just a few steps away from the Grand' Place, the Scheltema has been an institution in the Ilôt Sacré area since 1972. The establishment is known for its seafood specialties and its turn of the century pub ambiance, which combine to make the Scheltema one of the most prestigious restaurants in Brussels.
Dalaro, Sweden
“The most fantastic desert we have ever tasted.”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We went there and got the three course dinner, the chocolate mousse with vanilla cream was just amazing, it was the best we have ever tasted. The service was excellent. A must go when in Brussels.

Visited July 2012

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
NJ
“Delicious food and convivial atmosphere”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Went here for dinner after a business meeting, it having been recommended by a local colleague. The place had a fun ambience. Dark [reddish brown] walls and ceilings, green shaded lamps, much talk and laughter. We had attentive service from a wry waiter. The menu is extensive - over 400 beers [not my thing], wines by the glass, carafe, bottle...I had the goose foie gras on brioche, which was excellent, and fresh sole and white asparagus in a white wine cream sauce with mousseline potatoes. Other appetizers tried were shrimp croquettes; and shrimp ravioli in a lobster sauce with tomato coulis, Another entree tried was scallops in a beer cream sauce. All were delicious. Perfectly cooked, with light but flavorful sauces. The desserts were spectacular: marvelous creme brulee, enormous ile flottante, wonderful apple pie with raisins and cinnamon. The food was good value, as well. The menu for 40 euro (appetizer, entree, dessert) was good value, When we asked if we could have a plate of frites on the side, the waiter said not to try them, as they'd been prepared from frozen potatoes. We applauded him for his truthfulness - but I was sad not to have any of the vaunted Belgian frites. In any case - this was a tremendously enjoyable dinner and I will happily return on my next trip to Brussels.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“BUSINESS RESTAURANT”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have been to this restaurant many times -never socially always on business.It meets the business requirements because it is fairly spacious and can cater for an influx of a large group at one time.Having said that, the food is more than acceptable and on occasions really fantastic -I have never had a bad experience here. It has an English menu and the service is good and attentive.As a tourist wanting a touch of Brussels with nice seating outside-the Scheltema could easily fit the bill.

• Visited March 2013
yorkshire, England
“Overrated and expensive”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We were taken there for a business outing. Very busy, Michelin accredited restaurant but god knows why! Service was brusque and the waiter was unable reccomend any specific dish, indicating 'fish', well it is a seafood restaurant! I had the mussels which were bland and watery. My colleages had fish but were not overly impressed. Would have been happy with this is a mediocre restaurant but not of one with Michelin stickers all over the door. Positives were the good ambience 'busy kitchen on view - able to watch the chef making up the deserts live' and the lights were interesting, but other than that overpriced and obviously living on it's previous accolades only. Go if you want to dine in one of the popular, expenses places in the heart of the poisson quarter.

Visited March 2013
New Haven, Connecticut
“Excellent-Worth Every Euro!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I love Belgian food and frequently travel to Brussels but i had not found "my brassiere" yet. My hotel referred me to Scheltema, which located on a lovely upscale street near the Grand Palace. Despite being on a side street there is a shopping arcade which connects Rue des Dominicains to the Grand Palace is lovely to stroll through day or night. By definition an area like this is going to attract tourists but I cannot say that it is overly "touristy". Rents in this area are clearly high and prices certainly reflect this.

I arrived and three separate doors said Scheltema so I finally found the correct door and after some effort to force it open I arrived in the restaurant. This entry system was more than a little confusing and as I sat facing the door I noticed several other guests carefully inspected each door before trying their luck. Despite, this brief delay the food and service were absolutely worth the wait.

The two main dinning rooms are decorated to reflect an inter-war traditional brassiere with a lot of stone and wood. There is also an incredible chocolateer station in one of the dinning rooms, which is just a joy to look at, I think they also use this counter as part of their in-house bakery. It is really wonderful. I started with spicy mussels then moving on to a steak and finishing my meal with a traditional waffle. Each course was wonderful and accompanied by excellent wine at the suggestion of my very friendly waiter.

Several reviewers have noted a more touristy crowd. I did not see that in my corner of the restaurant, while there was certainly the corporate expense account set there was also a fair number of Belgians. I think clearly one company was having some sort of team building/team drinking event in the back.

Given the location and quality of the food bills are certainly going to be high. But for this quality and the in-house desserts/treats from the bakers and pastry chefs, there wasn't a moment's regret as I reached for the cheque. It was wonderful and I look forward to returning. If it fits your budget it is certainly worth a try.

• Visited April 2012