“My favourite restaurant in Brussels, like home”
Review of Le Volle Gas

Le Volle Gas
Reserve with
Le Volle Gas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #140 of 3,805 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian, Wine Bar, Brew Pub
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have been to the Volle Gas many, many times over the years as my father lives in the Place Fernand Cocq. I have read the other reviews for the restaurant and I do understand that perhaps it is not for everyone. Perhaps the price is a bit high, perhaps the service on a Saturday night when the restaurant is packed, is not perfect. However, it is still my favourite restaurant in Brussels, and perhaps in all of Belgium. When I step into Le Volle Gas, I feel as though I've come home - the atmosphere is exactly what I expect and love about Brussels Brasseries. The owner, Baki waves hello from behind the bar, while his brother, Leo shows us to our table with a smile. I've never had a bad meal - usually I have mussels, or occasionally the vegetable parcel. I've tried probably 20 different aperitif here, but I think my favourite is the classic Kir Royale. I love the lighting, the sound, the chatter and the warmth of this restaurant and everyone i have ever brought to eat here has loved it too. If you're looking for Belgium, good honest food and a great ambiance, away from the tourists milling around La Grande Place, this is the place.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

You cna find ytpical Belgium cuisine and the staff helped us to select right meal-wine combination.
Nice ambiance for group dinners.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been here on several occasions and enjoyed it every time. If you are a larger group service can be a bit slow, so take some time when you go there. The mussels are very good, as are the other Belgian dishes. Careful: no mussels when they are out of season! I fell into this 'trap' on two occasions. Basically it's supposed to be the months without an 'R' in it. I personally find this good, as it shows that they take their mussels seriously.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We went there with a group of colleagues on a Saturday night and it took us from 8 pm to 11 pm to get through dinner. This was a bit too much too long. Maybe some other night would be better. (Beware: they close on Sundays)
The atmosphere is lovely. The art nouveau mirrors, furniture, lighting, etc.
I had mussels with some white beer. Delicious. Don't forget to ask for a spoon to savour the broth.
The green salad for entree was mediocre.
I shared a profiterol with another person but it was still too big. 3 can share it easily.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Great Belgian fare in lovely old atmospheric restaurant on a lovely little lively square. The service was excellent and friendly - a lot of reviewers complain of brusque and unfriendly service in a lot of restaurants in the city which put me off but I found this to be untrue everywhere I ate in the city - must be the attitudes of the reviewers!! I highly recommend thie restaurant.