“location and ambience - oh and food as well”
Review of La Maison du Cygne

La Maison du Cygne
Ranked #1,182 of 3,829 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: - - We inform you that your restaurant La Maison du Cygne will be closed for an indefinite period. All the team of La Maison du Cygne thanks you for your trust and hope to welcome you very soon again ! - - La Maison du Cygne restaurant in Brussels: grand dining on the Grand Place. When you enter this exquisite 17th century mansion in the heart of Brussels' most famous square, you enter a world of refinement and harmony. The building was once the home of the Butchers Guild and where captains of industry and high-flyers now dine, Karl Marx once drafted his manifesto. That's the sort of surreal fact Belgians delight in. The décor is grande dame traditional, with velvet banquettes, ornate paneling and woodwork, fine art paintings, white napery, fine china and crystal, and lovely views over the square. The carte is haute traditional with innovative nuances, under the creative touch of award-winning chef Donald Loriaux. Dishes include starter of waterzooi de homard, a local soup speciality, main course of tournedos with green peppercorns. The monumental wine cellar sets the standard.
Reviewed April 29, 2012

This restaurant is all about its location, its ambience and the history of its surroundings. We ate in a group in an upper dining room with a small balcony overlooking the Grand Place - and that was the most memorable thing about the whole evening.
The food was good - we had a set menu of classic Belgian dishes - but it would appear to be quite pricy if you can't accept you are paying for where you are eating as much as what you are eating.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Apparently Michelin and I disagree on what makes a restaurant special. This place is glitzy, pretentious as hell, beautifully decorated, and VERY expensive. The sad part is I can't remember a single thing I ate. I do recall that we left here and went across the Grand Place to a hole-in-the-wall restaurant and had dessert, which I remember very well. If you're looking to impress or feel self-important, by all means, go to La Maison. Been there, done that, won't go back.

1  Thank CPCIC
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We ate here as part of a large group of around 40 people. The set menu we were served was excellent, with a particularly good starter of duck liver parfait. The wines were excellent, as was the view from the balcony off our private dining room, overlooking the Grand' Place.

1  Thank George M
Reviewed February 27, 2012

It took us a while to find it as there aren’t any sign boards, just to keep it exclusive. Very elegant restaurant with ornate paneling, wood work, fine art paintings; I love how they printed the Cygne on every plate and glass. Great French cuisine in an Old World Elegance atmosphere.
A vast cellar sets the standard, quite large, very impressive with prices starting at a minimum of around 100 US Dollars a bottle.
For starters I tried the lobtster salad, and the Terrine du foie grass which was an extreme delicacy … rich, buttery, and delicate...For a main I tried a very creative seafood risotto with a truly satisfying taste, as it should be with such prices...Im not sure I like the shrimp big eyes on it, I felt it was looking at me the whole time but it tasted really good :)

Reviewed January 4, 2012

situated on the Grand Place of Brussels,this restaurant is an institution serving excellent, although not sophisticated, food. Nice surrounding. Worth while a lunch