“A Belgian institute that still delivers” 5 of 5 bubbles

Comme Chez Soi
Ranked #8 of 3,490 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: French, Belgian, European
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“A Belgian institute that still delivers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Not trendy any more - at all. Arguably Belgium's most iconic restaurant deserves better because it still delivers. This is so unapologetic old school that it deserves to become trendy again, and I'm sure it will. The 90 euro menu sounds cheap for a place like this, but of course everything else costs. A bottle of water is 10 euro. The wine list is breathtaking, and the 'expensive' wines are cheap. (125 euro for Raveneau Clos. That's for nothing these days.) The food is a classic with a twist and I liked it a lot. Only downside: the staff is pushy. They opened a second bottle of wine without me asking for it or agreeing to it.

Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
“A foodie must in Brussels!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were able to secure reservations at Comme Chez Soi on the same day we arrived in Brussels for later that night. We had almost the whole restaurant to ourselves at first and the restaurant was quite lovely. Our table had a view into the kitchen which was really wonderful. My husband and I had the tasting menu and we didn't regret it. The Danish Cod/King Crab dish was one of the best seafood dishes I've had in my entire life. The other memorable dish was the sirloin with potato cake and the desserts. This meal is best if you enjoy food, extensive preparation and presentation, and don't mind splurging for a treat. It will set you back 400 Euro if you enjoy wine/coffee, but it was one of the best meals during our 7 day stay in Belgium. Highly recommended!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Cave Creek, Arizona
“Nice food but overpriced and slow”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

The first 3 courses of our degustation menu (smoked eel, danish cod/crab, meager with snails) were absolutely beautiful - great flavours without being overly fussy or adding in too many components. The service to this point was also impeccable. However, after being there for 90 minutes, we then had to wait 45 minutes for the next dish - and we still had two more to go after that! The kitchen definitely seemed to get to a point where they couldn't keep up with all the tables. All in all it was well over 3 hours which is just too long after a full day of sight seeing. Two of the 5 courses on the degustation menu are desserts which just ends up with too much sugar. It would have been nice to have a cheese course instead as an option. I also would prefer to have wines selected by the chef to pair with each course. The wine list is so huge you pretty much have to rely on the sommelier to pick something which may not always be what you like or what goes with your many dishes. For a two star, I really think they should offer the pairings and have the menu in English.The prices were exceptionally high and I really question the value for money. The atmosphere was also a bit stuffy and formal so you didn't feel like you had a fun evening when you left.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Completely lived up to expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

The food was absolutely perfect, the service impeccable. They even gave us an impromptu tour of the kitchen after our meal. If you're in Brussels and want to splurge... this is your place. Highly recommended.

• Visited June 2012
Sw Oregon
“Superb as always, but there are wrinkles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

This has been the nec plus ultra restaurant for me since 1985, when Pierre Wynants, son of the originator, was at the helm, his charming wife at the door. My recent visit, after some years' absence, was a bit of shock - nothing seemed to have changed, save that there was a man named Laurent greeting guests. The décor felt the same, the layout felt as it had during my last visit. The linens were new, the menu refreshed, an iPad or two was evident.

The only course of action was to have a menu de dégustation, see how the new chef - son-in-law of Pierre Wynants - had evolved CcS. Wines were suggested gently, not at all pushy, and I chose with abandon - but not recklessly, as there were bottles on the wine list that would have broken the limit on my credit card. The sommelier approved - a nice touch - and no sooner had the order been completed than an amuse-buche arrived, opening the curtain on a grand production of culinary skill and precise service.

Courses appeared with perfect timing, not too soon, not too late, enough time to talk about the last course, savour a bit more wine, cleanse the palate, surreptitiously inspect our fellow diners, the flow of the room, the decor. There was something not quite right, but I couldn't put a finger upon it. Not the service or food - they were flawless.

By the time the meal was complete, replete with really good coffee, I cared not a whit for the price of the meal - though it be more than a week's shopping for a family of four teenagers and their parents, grandmother and maiden aunt.

Whew! I had been afraid the loss of one of the three Michelin stars they once had would have stifled the kitchen - but leaving, I felt much assured. At the bottom of the steps I realized what it was that had been niggling me - the charm of the restaurant, the somewhat gregarious clientele of yore.

Most of the diners looked like businessmen on expense accounts, a bit grey of pallor, unsmiling and little interested in their surround. I'm not expert at detecting nationalities, but it seemed that there were few local residents. There were plenty of English and Flemish speakers, but I heard only a little French and no Bruxellois.

I wonder if the gauze of time has clouded my memories of the atmosphere. Perhaps it was just the fact that it was a weeknight.