“Bonsoir Clara, Brussels”

Bonsoir Clara
Ranked #565 of 3,715 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bonsoir Clara restaurant is perfectly sited on Brussels’ hippest street. Need a break from shopping the boutiques? Want a place to meet after visits to the edgy galleries? Or just fancy an evening among a vibrant, arty crowd? Then this smart French brasserie is exactly the place. Entire walls are decorated in patches of brightly-hued stained glass, like a glass tapestry, while the décor generally sports art deco’s uncluttered lines. The seasonally-changing, sophisticated cuisine is highly eclectic, just like the cosmopolitan crowd that gathers there. Try starter of beef carpaccio with tartare of dried and fresh tomatoes, parmesan slices, and mixed salad, main course of aiguillettes of duck with Muscat grapess and confit ginger. Wine list is not as French as you might expect, and mainly affordable.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This restaurant was good when it first opened, but now it's resting on its laurels and has gone steeply downhill. We wanted cocktails but were told they were "off" as they had no limes or lemons and were a barman short ( on a Saturday night). The waitress/manager was extremely rude and assumed because we were British we wanted everything cooked to a cinder. The food was very average - rack of lamb with more fat than meat, duck served only with a slimy apple cake, no potatoes - only chips (greasy and overcooked). House wine acceptable. I will certainly never return.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Unfortunately, my dining experience here was subpar in part due to being ignored by the waiter throughout the evening (relative to other Brussels dining experiences), and a cold curedhaddock & salmon appetizer that was so salty I could not eat more than half of it, and was plagued by the taste of swalling half-a-gallon of seawater.

The rack of lamb I ordered was fantastic, but a lost cause given the totality of the rest of my experience.

I did not even get to peruse the dessert menu - it wasn't offered to me until I'd been waiting 20 minutes to have a chance to ask to purchase more water, though my waitress took the time to grab a cup of espresso for herself and chat with her junior waiter instead of giving me the chance to even consider espresso or dessert.

It's too bad too, I had heard great things about the restaurant, and was considering arranging a sizable group of business contacts there for dinner.

No good food is worth being treated as if you don't exist at a restaurant that charges appropriate prices for excellent food. Bonsoir, indeed. Arrivaderce.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The service is attentive, the decor modern and tasteful, the wine list good and the music very much background. But on to the food: quite simply it is perfect. I had scallops on a root veg mash to start then smoked quail with toffee sauce, roasted figs and foie gras. It was one of the best meals I've ever had..I cannot rate it highly enough.

Go and enjoy!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having read some of the other reviews here for this restaurant, one would imagine that being trendy, fashionable and good looking is some sort of crime. Granted, taste is subjective, however having eaten here twice my view and indeed the view of the many people I know who have eaten here is that it is worth paying it a visit.

I found it neither overly expensive, nor impersonal - for an evening dinner it has an edgy coolness about it but certainly it is in no way overbearing. Both times I was there I was with large groups for a work related dinner and never had an issue with the service or quality of the food. Indeed their desserts are beautifully prepared and delicately presented. just a short walk from the Bourse, I think this is a good spot for an evening dinner or lunch snack.

1  Thank Rob M
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was a bit fishy at first because this place looked to nice and trendy, and wasn't sure whether just the same amount of effort would have gone into the menu. However I wasn't disappointed. The service was kind of cold, but the food was excellent and different. More expensive than you would expect, but I guess the decor and location needs to be written off as well.