“Good location”
Review of The Dominican

The Dominican
Ranked #18 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed November 10, 2013

It's hotel was conveniently located and within walking distance of the Central Station. The staff were all very friendly. Could not fault it although the cost of drinks from the minibar were excessive. 5 Euros for a small bottle of water.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
thedominican9, General Manager at The Dominican, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Dear Jolo,
I want to thank you sincerely for the short but meaningful report!
Always useful to know about our guests' experiences...
Wishing you well,
Ellen de Boer.
General Manager - The Dominican

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stay at the Dominican whenever I'm in Brussels and they are reliably good. Their front desk staff is efficient and friendly, the rooms are clean and well appointed, and the hotel food is well prepared with high quality ingredients. The only reason I am not giving it 5 stars this time is because my bathroom had drainage problems - the shower was over the bath and the shower water wasn't draining and there was a slight smell coming from the drains. Also, the service in the bar area, where I hosted a business drink the night I got in, wasn't great. A bit slow and a bit confused - all sorted out in the end but not up to the usual standard. I'll stay there again because it's much better than some of the alternatives but they do need a tiny bit of refurbishment . . .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
thedominican9, General Manager at The Dominican, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Hello tall Suzy from London,
I want to thank you for the sincere review you have posted about your various stays at The Dominican!
Being a regular customer, you are very much in place to feel the goods and the needs...
I really value your recommendations! We'll work on it!
Ellen de Boer.
General Manager - The Dominican

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying at The Dominican for 2 nights (31st Oct - 2nd Nov) in one of their Deluxe rooms. We received a warm friendly welcome upon check-in. Reception staff explained the amenities of the hotel very well, orientation from the main sights, restaurants and various establishments around the area. They wanted to please in every way reasonably possible - nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Housekeeping was wonderful as the room was spotlessly clean.
The room was lovely and spacious. We really love the amenities in the room - the addition of a Nespresso coffee machine with teas and coffee pods instead of the traditional coffee making facilities is a nice touch. There were wine glasses and an ice bucket (there is an ice machine readily available on each floor), very generous great smelling toiletries, bathrobes and slippers. Awesome rain shower! And we cannot emphasise how comfortable the bed was - it was like sleeping on a cloud!

The bar area was great too for a few drinks (a shout out to barman Ricky who looked after us with great drinks and a fab chat about the area). The resident DJ was playing when we were there and he played great music (not the thumpy too loud kind but enough for a great vibe, upbeat and enjoyable time) - really good atmosphere.

Finally, the location is fantastic for exploring major sights of Brussels. It's a short walk to the Grand Place, Grand Markt, Mannekin Pis, Le Petite Sablon etc and more importantly Delirium Cafe :)) !

We highly recommend The Dominican for a great, funky and central hotel in Brussels.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Woaw, this is one hell of a captivating review!
Thank you soooo much for writing about your wonderful experiences...
You really make my day,

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed at The Dominican for 3 nights and found the room to be very spacious, modern, clean and well equipped (throughout our 1 month trip around Europe, we stayed in 17 hotels and the Dominican was the only hotel that supplied disposable slippers and bath robes, as well as standard amenities). The staff were extremely nice and helpful, and the hotel is very well located in the centre of town, near all the main sights, but slightly outside of the old town centre, so it was convenient but not over crowded or noisy at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,
What a pleasure to read your kind words!
Many thanks for your flattering review.
Nice to know that The Dominican has a new ambassador in Australia.
Please, spread the word, and do not forget to come back one day...

Reviewed November 2, 2013

we had great lunch and dinner at their restaurant . Breakfast was just out of this world..
Super service ,clean and quiet room . The bed was so comfortable and a very cosy room.
Location was amazing,quiet and perfect for getting in to the old town within minutes with nice restaurants ,bars and cafes around

Room Tip: view into the courtyard
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,
I have really appreciated your kind message.
A million thanks for sharing your experiences with the world!
So nice to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us...
Wishing you well, and hoping to welcome you soon again,

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have previously had some good experiences at the Dominican ...and a couple of not so good times but this night was the worst. I beg you CHECK IF YOUR ROOM IS BENEATH THE GYM !!! I did not know this and at 1030pm....not an unreasonable time to try to get to sleep, especially mid week, I was kept awake by the constant thud of someone on the running machine. At first I thought it was the aircon or something on the roof but then I realised there was another floor above me and it must be a function room ..or gym. I called reception and they confirmed it was a gym. Initially I was told the hotel was full and there were no rooms free. Ok this is possible as I arrived late. I asked to speak with the Duty Manager and he came up and immediately changed me to another room. No rooms?! Really?! Please, staff, don't lie to customers. You should be aware you're placing a customer beneath a gym and if you have another room put them there first and use the room beneath the gym as a last resort. I surely can't be the only person who has experienced this.
I give you 1 star for the initial service but I would rate the manager as 5 star - empathetic and solved the solution immediately with no hesitation.
Would I stay again - yes but with the knowledge I have now, I know which rooms not to get - just make sure you pre book a room away from the gym.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room below THE GYM - I think the gym is on the 5th floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank justbruce

Dear Bruce,
It is with deep sadness that I have gone through your words...
But I really want to thank you for having taken the time and done the effort to inform us about your understandable disenchantment.
I guarantee you that we will discuss your important message during our next management meeting.
And I really hope to welcome you back one fine day...

Reviewed October 30, 2013

I recently stayed at the Dominican in Brussels and I did enjoy the experience. The room had everything I needed. The bed was comfortable and there was a good in room selection of teas and coffees. The room was extremely clean, without being sterile. The room was well appointed. All in all, a positive experience. If I was to return to Brussels, I would most certainly stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Claireehowson

Dear Claire,
So nice to read your sweet words of genuine appreciation!
Very happy to know that you have lived an unforgettable experience at The Dominican.
Please, spread the word all over Perth...
Yours sincerely,