“Horrible customer service, rude management, and fake smiles”
Review of The Dominican

The Dominican
Ranked #19 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
“Horrible customer service, rude management, and fake smiles”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I booked my reservation for 2 nights and when I arrived at the hotel, I found out the reservation was set for the pervious week and they had already charged my credit card for the no show. I told them if it was the wrong date, then it was an honest mistake and if I knew the wrong dates were chosen I would have definitely called to correct the dates. However, since I was unaware ofthis, I never called. I ended up paying a much higher rate when I arrived since there was no reservation for the correct dates, however, the hotel simply refused to refund the amount charged for the previous week. The booking manager was yelling (while keeping a fake smile), was outrageously rude, disrespectful, and degrading - I also sensed racial discrimination by her tone. The booking manager kept repeating their booking policies as if I don't understand English, which happens to be my primary language. She was not willing to bend the rules due to the unique situation and was not willing to make an exception to their rule. She also did not mention that the hotel only charged my card for one missed night instead of two, which I originally booked. The reservation manager, who is superior to the booking manager informed me of this fact. Even so, they still refused to refund the amount. This is obviously bad business practice and I'm baffled as to why this hotel has good reviews on here. I am in business my self and know that exceptions can always be made in certain situations. However, this hotel refused to budge. It would have still be OK with me had the hotel not been rude and degrading, however, the Dominican has not only earned them a bad review but also they have lost future business from me and thousands of euros in lost opportunity costs. I would strongly advise you to avoid this hotel at all costs and ignore the other reviews. If you want good customer service and general service, then look elsewhere.

Other issues: TV cable was purposely unplugged because premium service was included in my rate. Apparently, they wanted me to not watch TV at all. Icalled tthem to have the cable plugged in later, but it should have been working from the get go. I have run into this same issue at other European hotels as well, so I know it was unplugged on purpose.

Also, room service did not change the bed sheets, took away the blankets and did not replace them, toilet paper was not replaced, and bathroom floor was not cleaned, not the soap was replaced.

DO NOT STAY HERE - DO NOT RUIN YOUR VISIT TO BRUSSELS ON THE HANDS OF THE DOMINICAN HOTEL! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank espnjunkie
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear guest,
Many thanks for having taken the time to write things down.
I remain convinced that communication always books more results than silence.
I rarely feel the urge to defend myself as I always consider criticism as a constructive gift.
In this case however, I feel the truth somehow hurt.
Would the mistaken dates have been ours, I'd be the first to correct any payment wrongly charged.
In your specific case, your chosen dates have been correctly booked into our systems.
The fact that we reserve you a room when the hotel is 100% fully booked allows us to charge you for the first room night.
As you know, room rates are fluctuating upon availability. And that is why your second room rate differs from the initial room rate.
Almost never, you will be able to book a flight or hotel room at exactly the same rate on 2 different days.
I do apologize sincerely for all other dissapointments during your stay.
Please, do not think that we did not want you the watch the television by unplugging cables.
Such act would not be acceptable at to any hospitality company worldwide...
Many thanks for considering my words.
Kind regards,
Director of Sales - The Dominican

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Having looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor we decided that The Dominican would be a nice place to stay. The reviews were correct and we are so happy to be staying here at the moment.
The room we have is on the 4th floor looking out to the courtyard. It is very clean, modern with a king size bed, desk and chair, another chair and a small couch, nice lamps and the usual tea and coffee making facilities. On check in we were asked if we would like a shower or bath. Nice to have the choice.
As mentioned in other reviews the hotel is well located, being one street away from The Grand Place. An easy walk to restaurants, banks and chocolate shops!
The hotel has a wonderful feel, the staff very friendly and helpful and we would stay here without hesitation should we visit Brussels again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
A million thanks for your kind words!
Nice to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us...
Please, spread the word all over Sydney.
Warm regards,
Malaga, Spain
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,132 helpful votes
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I chose this hotel because other reviewers said the beds were comfortable. The bed is really a platform bed with a thin pad over a platform that has the box springs. I have to say the bed was very comfortable and my wife and I each had two fluffy pillows.

Other pluses of this hotel:

Good central location and you can walk to the Grand Place in 10 minutes, 10 minutes to the Cathedral, 5 minutes to the Galleries-Saint Hubert.

All the staff at the desk and restaurant are very friendly and will try to help you.

Great breakfast buffet. You can ask for a glass or two of champagne. They will make you fried eggs. Good sausages.

Good size room. Ceilings are quite high, so one seems to have more space.

Very quiet room. We were in Room 519.

Good security because only people with room cards can use the elevator.

The bathroom has two deficiencies. One is that it has no bidet. The second is that there is a walk-in shower (you can choose a walk-in shower or a bathtub when you check in) with a slippery floor. I have been to many hotels with a walk-in shower and their floors are non-skid, using stone or ceramic floor tile that has a rough surface. The floor of the walk-in shower in this hotel uses a highly polished ceramic floor tile that is very slippery when wet. The architect did not think of this when he chose the ceramic floor tile. However if you are careful you can take a shower without falling. Just be careful.

Across the Schildknaaps Street is a small supermarket, which is quite handy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Benny,
Many thanks for your lovely review!
I like the way you write things down: the good and... the less good.
Happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us,
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We spent 2 nights at The Dominican and thoroughly enjoyed the stay! Great location, within easy walking distance to Grand Place and many other sights and shops in Brussels.

We arrived via car and had only a little difficult locating the entrance to the hotel. If you're driving in, be sure to contact the hotel for the security code for the gated entrance. Otherwise you will have to park the car and carry your luggage down the street to the hotel entrance.

We drove to the entrance, where we were greeted by friendly staff who helped off-load the luggage and explained directions to their parking. Parking is in a private, 24-hour garage just across from the hotel, but one has to navigate a few one-way streets to park there. Again, no problem getting parked and the fee was about what was expected for in-city parking these days.

Our room was, as requested, facing the interior courtyard. Beautifully decorated, very clean, nice linens, an awesome bath and just a comfortable, quiet, convenient spot for a few nights stay.

Our only concerns were a musty smell in the hallway to our room which smelled a bit like a carpet cleaning that hadn't yet fully dried. This odor did NOT extend to our room and was really not a problem just a cause for a bit of concern as we approached our room. The only reason I'm not giving a five-star rating here is that the A/C unit in the room wasn't capable of bringing the temp anywhere near 22 or 23C (72 or 73 F) even on the lowest setting. Since we enjoy sleeping in a cool room this was a bit of a glitch. We finally opened the window and found the room cooled down to a quite comfortable temp. I would be concerned about staying in the heat of summer if all their A/C units are as weak.

A rare find in European hotels. they actually have ice makers on each floor (near the elevator.) As a fan of ice cold drinks I was thrilled; while my husband appreciated the shoe-shine machines at the same location. Amenities in the room and throughout the hotel were excellent, the staff were uniformly friendly and helpful, and the drinks in the bar were well mixed if a bit stiff in price.

Overall, we enjoyed and plan to return to the Dominican our next trip to Brussels and would highly recommend to others with the caveats mentioned above.

Room Tip: Rooms are upper floors facing the courtyard are quiet. If driving be sure to call ahead for access c...
Dear Carol,
How happy am I to discover that you and your partner have found delights at the same spot in The Dominican: the ice machine and the shoe shiner right next to each other!
Many thanks for your kindest words.
Warm regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed at the Dominican for 2 nights in June and it is absolutely lovely. We arrived about 9pm in the evening and the staff were friendly and helpful. All of the standard double and twin rooms had been filled and so we were upgraded to an executive room with a king size bed which was lovely. The room was clean and bright and also beutifully decorated and styled, it felt very luxurious. Comfortable bed, powerful shower and plenty of towels in the bathroom. Also a Nespresso coffee machine in the room. Brilliant location just a few minutes stroll to the Grand Place and central Brussels. Would definately recommend it and would stay here again if I returned to Brussels. Only thing to note is that you have to pay city tax when you check out as it isn't incuded in the room price. We didnt realise this but it was only 7 euros or so per night so not too bad.

Dear Laura,
Many thanks for your lovely words!
I am happy that you have enjoyed your stay at The Dominican...
Never, never hesitate to return!
Always more than welcome...
Toronto
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in June at the Dominican and was highly disappointed with service and overall ambience of hotel. I made the reservation a month prior and received confirmation. We arrived around 2 pm and our room was not available. Reception staff were terse and appeared to have no idea where our room was and thus would not give us any information. We left for the afternoon and on our return they gave us a room but not as requested. Found the hotel corridors to be very dark and dingy and the room although a loft was again dark and very unattractive. The hotel seems like it is more for business groups than for individual couples traveling on holidays. We had come from Dublin (Merrion Hotel), Amsterdam (Ambassade Hotel), and Brugges (Kempinsky Hotel) and all our hotels there offered superb service, warm welcome and really lovely ambience. This was the biggest disappointment of our trip. And I would not recommend it to other travellers. Hotel dining room was fine and the courtyard was lovely. If I was to return to Brussels I would consider staying in the Upper Town and definitely another hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floor and overlooking courtyard
1 Thank CANADIANTEXPLORERS
Dear guest,
It is with major sadness that I've read about your disappointments...
I am really, really sorry for not having fulfilled your expectations!
Please, give us another chance...
Best regards,
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent a week in Brussels for our 35th Anniversary. We stayed at the Dominican hotel and had a wonderful time. The location is perfect for walking to everything. It is also walking distance to the train station. We took a day trip, by train, to Amsterdam one day and Brugges another day. Although the hotel is a short walk to all of the main attractions in Brussels, it is in a very quiet location. Our room faced a lovely courtyard but even if you face the front of the hotel it is quiet because the street is closed to traffic. I will defiantly stay here the next time we are in Brussels.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear guest,
Nice to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at The Dominican!
Many thanks for the beautiful report.
Never hesitate to come back...
Wishing you well,