“Too posh for me”
Review of The Dominican

The Dominican
Ranked #19 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Lovely hotel but with a very strong sense of class and style that just didn't work for me - hard to describe but just too posh. The restaurant looked fabulous but breakfast was incredibly expensive so I didn't bother, and I didn't dare think about eating there in the evening (I don't think I was stylish enough to be let in, and I probably wouldn't understand the menu). I ended up buying snacks etc from a nearby convenience store and sneaking them back in... The other guests looked very wealthy.

The room was fine - the wifi was desperately slow. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

But the location - absolutely superb, both for work and for pleasure.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dearest reviewer,
I really feel sorry for your thoughts about not looking good enough for staying with us.
It never is within our intentions to provoke such bad feelings...
More over, we love diversity and we will always be delighted to welcome & serve whatever kind of guest, regardless color, income, style...
Warm regards,
Director of Sales - The Dominican

Write a ReviewReviews (2,289)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I could not fault The Dominican!

The location is great...within walking distance of the heart of Brussels.
The staff very professional & courteous.
The room spacious and comfortable.

... and best of all - the central courtyard that most of the rooms overlook make you forget you are in the middle of a major European city.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HillpeopleMarlee

Dear guest,
Thanks for the short but lovely recommendation!
Please, never hesitate to come back...
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were delighted with our two-night stay at The Dominican. After an overnight international flight, we arrived at the hotel at 10am, hoping only to be able to check our bags. However, they had a room available and checked us in early, with no extra charge. The room was clean and well appointed, the bed was comfortable, and the location of the hotel is ideal for navigating around Brussels easily. The staff members we encountered were all friendly, exceptionally helpful and professional, giving us walking directions, train schedules, restaurant recommendations, advice about sightseeing, holding luggage (gratis) after our checkout and more. The building is a former monastery, and the chant playing in the elevator and in our room at check-in was a classy touch -- soothing and timeless. We would gladly stay here again, and have already recommended it to friends and associates.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GoodTravelers

Big thanks for all flowers!
Happy to learn that you have appreciated the early check-in.
Please, spread the word...
Sincere greetings from The Dominican team.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in April and found it to be a great experience. The property is very contemporary and probably just went under a renovation recently. The room is super uber nice with good bedding which is necessity for travellers. Location is also top notched as it is conveniently near the main area of Grand Platz and the restaurant rows. However, because it is located on the private street...it is very quiet at night so you can get a good rest. Going to the train station is walkable but at the time, the sidewalk is under some construction and the weather is a bit cold, so we asked the hotel to arrange the cab to drop us and our luggages off the morning we departed. Overall, I woul definitely recommend this hotel. Make sure you get a good value for the price though.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PoppyLV
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Poppy,
I particularly appreciate your kindest review.
Nice to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at The Dominican to the maximum!
Please, spread the message all over Bangkok...
Warm regards,

Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in May 2013. The hotel is nice, but I don't see where it gets its very high rating. Rooms are stylish, but small. Internet in my case was free and had decent speed, which is a plus. But many things were not good enough to get a top rating.
I checked in with multiple bags, and nobody was available to help with the bags. There is no valet to help with parking, and if you plan to have a car (not recommended if you only need to be downtown in Brussels) you need to park it in a nearby public garage. The hotel is also in a blocked off pedestrian area so you can not get there by car without a code to lower the barriers.
Breakfast is too limited for the high price.
The hotel was a former monastry of some sort and I guess that is why there is "chanting" music
in the background everywhere, including on TV. This very quickly got to me. Almost creepy.
Overall a good hotel, but I have stayed in places with better service in Brussels, so I would not come here again.

Room Tip: good for walking into brussels. not good with car. I would also not recommend with small children...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Gerbrand C

Dear guest,
Many thanks for your detailed feedback and useful recommendations.
Your honesty is highly appreciated!
An opinion always remains personal, though extremely useful when referring to hospitality.
Wishing you very well,

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Stayed at the Dominican for two nights. The feel of the hotel from the moment I stepped in was so relaxing and welcoming that was exactly what I needed after my journey. Room was very clean and of very good size for a single occupier. Great variety of breakfast. One minor pitfall with the Nespresso machine not working. The location is very close to the city centre and a short walk away from the Grand Place. Would stay again at the Dominican with no second thought.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Dear Alitheia,
I insist on thanking you for such nice compliments!
Heartwarming...
Do not hesitate to return,

Reviewed May 4, 2013

The Dominican was a real find. We stayed for 3 nights. The location was just perfect, 5 minutes from the main sites in Brussels. The room was modern and of average size. The staff was very helpful, there were plenty of people at the reception and there were no queus. I did not go for the breakfast, a little overpriced at 27 euros, instead there are plenty of cafes less than 5 min from the hotel. There are a lot of good restaurants around the hotel as well, I particularly recommend Belga Queen, 3 min away.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,
Many thanks for the lovely review!
Always good to know about your experiences...
London is not that far away, so why not come back soon?
Best regards,