“Tasteful decor, great location and a bit of free opera thrown in!”
Review of The Dominican

The Dominican
Ranked #19 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was our second visit to this hotel. The decor is tasteful and the monsoon shower was lovely. The bed was very comfortable. My only slightly negative observation is that on both visits, despite being on a high floor and in a different part of the hotel each time, the rooms seem very dark, even with the curtains open and all the lights on! There is a lot of major road and construction work going on outside the hotel at the moment, so it is best to ask for a room away from the front of the hotel.
I would recommend this hotel for a stay in Brussels. The location is very central. The breakfast seems to be priced more for business expense accounts than for tourists, but we found much cheaper options nearby.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you so much for the nice review! Good news is that the street works are ending very soon! Result will be a beautiful pedestrian alley...

Write a ReviewReviews (2,284)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Dominican is the type of hotel one can spend more than a couple of nights in, with pleasure. Discreet and friendly staff, very good breakfast (especially the eggs Benedict) and above all: a great location. Near the metro and the Grand Place, but yet in a quiet neibourhood.
The rooms are designed and decorated by FG stijl.
And the cherry on top, a fully functional gym on the top floor

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Woaw, flattering! Big thanks for the touching words! You know, I think I am going to post this one on The Dominican Facebook page...

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here as i had to attend a conference in Brussels, as a result of which most of the hotels were full. The hotel is modern, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was ok as well, although a bit expensive for 27 euros, but its the same cost in most hotels, the selection included eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruits, juices, yogurt, cerreal, salami, cheese, croissants and sausages. The price of the hotel is a bit steep, but that may be due to two conferences happening at the same time and hence an excuse to increase the price. The staff were very helpful and courteous as well. Overall, a thumbs up, i would stay here again. (No swimming pool by the way, the gym was small but looked ok)

Room Tip: The executive rooms I believe are a bit larger and spacious
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for the honest review! Hoping to welcome you soon again...

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The first thing to mention about the Dominican is that it is very well located. The Grote Markt is blocks away; Brussels Central station is within comfortable walking distance; Mannekin Pis is close. All those wonderful things being said, this hotel is located on a small side street (which was being completely torn up during our stay). The staff were friendly and fluent in English. The room was dark and on the small-ish side.

My husband and I choose hotels strongly based on tripadvisor reviews, and although I did like this hotel, suppose I was just expecting to like it more than I did based on the reviews I read

• Stayed: September 2012

Big thanks for your feedback, Jackie! Honesty above all...

Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Dominican is part of the Design Hotels Brand and was like a sanctuary. The hall and reception had big windows with flowers, many seating areas and relaxing music. The corridors and the rooms were dark in straight simple lines in black with green patterns. The bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. There was space to work and to relax. The location was really good; just 5 minutes walk from the Grand Place and the main sites in the city. If I return to Brussels, I would like to stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Londinenca

We really appreciate your positive comments! Looking forward to welcome you again...

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Based on reviews, we selected the Dominican for our stay in Brussels. We loved everything about the hotel - it was comfortable and very convenient to the Grand Place. We arrived in the Brussels Midi station and took the pre-metro to the De Brouckère stop. It was a bit confusing when we exited De Brouckère to find which direction to go. Look for signs to the Cathedral or Place de la Monnaie. And if you don't want to eat breakfast at the hotel, there is a small grocery store around the corner where you can buy juice and croissants for a few euros.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for a room away from the bar
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DiscusNJ

A million thanks for communicating your appreciation! Please, spread the word in your lovely city...

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Let me say from the outset that I hold myself 50% to blame for what happened. The other 50% is shared between Eurostar and the Dominican, but unsurprisingly, neither of them will accept any responsibility at all.

I booked this hotel through Eurostar for four nights, very encouraged by the reviews. During the booking process (apparently) Eurostar briefly mention on one of several pages that breakfast is not included. I may have missed it – if so, my fault. However, on all subsequent documentation sent by Eurostar, there is no mention of whether breakfast is included or not. I booked well before I travelled, and had booked other hotels, so did not recall whether it was part of the deal for this hotel on arrival.

Eurostar’s excuse for not putting it on the documentation (don’t laugh) is that ”it would be impossible to put all the details on the documentation”. Really? All the important details?

On arrival at the hotel, no mention was made at check-in about breakfast. Yes, I should have asked. We were tired and eager to get to our room, and we didn’t. When we went down to breakfast next morning, we found our name was on a list as we went into breakfast. Great, we thought, breakfast must be included. 4 days later, at check-out, we were presented with a bill for 216 Euros, when we expected to have no bill. Yes, the hotel had been charging us 27 euros each for breakfast, and we had no idea. A fairly obscene price, I have to say.

I think this is a shady way to do business, both on the part of Eurostar and The Dominican. We are used to rip-off Britain, now we must get used to rip-off Belgium.

I only asked for a 50% refund because I accept my share of the blame. Eurostar effectively told me to ‘get lost’ –their customer service is a bit chaotic –try it and see. The hotel were nicer but the message in the end was the same. In every other respect it is a nice hotel, but all the friendliness of the staff turned sour when we realised what they had done to us.
I tell this sorry tale only to save another couple from the same unhappy circumstances.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ItalianLakesRus

Dear guest,
I know you well, as we have been discussing over email for a considerable time. I have expressed my true feelings of comprehension towards your disappointment, though the hotel can not take responsibility for booking confirmations from the hands of travel agents.
Your chosen travel agent has clearly stated that the hotel was not to blame, and I have forwarded you this information immediately. When choosing to book a hotel directly without including third parties (agents), relationships are clear and responsabilities are obvious. However I really appreciate your honesty about dividing the blame in between the agent, the hotel and yourself. By the way, I have discovered the existence of Durham through a train window on my way from London to Newcastle last week. I have never seen a lovelier town before! Lucky you! Best regards. Gilles Devos, Director of Sales.