“My favourite hotel in Brussels”
Review of The Dominican

The Dominican
Ranked #19 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
London, United Kingdom
“My favourite hotel in Brussels”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A true designer hotel this place is very relaxing, peaceful and comfortable. Fantastic bar and restaurant area with staff that are friendly, helpful and efficient. Rooms are fully equiped with everything you need. Close to the Centre. Always recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
thedominican9, Director of Sales at The Dominican, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Many thanks for your lovely recommendation! Never hesitate to return...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here as i had to attend a conference in Brussels, as a result of which most of the hotels were full. The hotel is modern, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was ok as well, although a bit expensive for 27 euros, but its the same cost in most hotels, the selection included eggs, pancakes, waffles, fruits, juices, yogurt, cerreal, salami, cheese, croissants and sausages. The price of the hotel is a bit steep, but that may be due to two conferences happening at the same time and hence an excuse to increase the price. The staff were very helpful and courteous as well. Overall, a thumbs up, i would stay here again. (No swimming pool by the way, the gym was small but looked ok)

Room Tip: The executive rooms I believe are a bit larger and spacious
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the honest review! Hoping to welcome you soon again...
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The first thing to mention about the Dominican is that it is very well located. The Grote Markt is blocks away; Brussels Central station is within comfortable walking distance; Mannekin Pis is close. All those wonderful things being said, this hotel is located on a small side street (which was being completely torn up during our stay). The staff were friendly and fluent in English. The room was dark and on the small-ish side.

My husband and I choose hotels strongly based on tripadvisor reviews, and although I did like this hotel, suppose I was just expecting to like it more than I did based on the reviews I read

• Stayed September 2012
Big thanks for your feedback, Jackie! Honesty above all...
London
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Dominican is part of the Design Hotels Brand and was like a sanctuary. The hall and reception had big windows with flowers, many seating areas and relaxing music. The corridors and the rooms were dark in straight simple lines in black with green patterns. The bed was comfortable and it was very quiet. There was space to work and to relax. The location was really good; just 5 minutes walk from the Grand Place and the main sites in the city. If I return to Brussels, I would like to stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Londinenca
We really appreciate your positive comments! Looking forward to welcome you again...
New York
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Based on reviews, we selected the Dominican for our stay in Brussels. We loved everything about the hotel - it was comfortable and very convenient to the Grand Place. We arrived in the Brussels Midi station and took the pre-metro to the De Brouckère stop. It was a bit confusing when we exited De Brouckère to find which direction to go. Look for signs to the Cathedral or Place de la Monnaie. And if you don't want to eat breakfast at the hotel, there is a small grocery store around the corner where you can buy juice and croissants for a few euros.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for a room away from the bar
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DiscusNJ
A million thanks for communicating your appreciation! Please, spread the word in your lovely city...
Durham
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Let me say from the outset that I hold myself 50% to blame for what happened. The other 50% is shared between Eurostar and the Dominican, but unsurprisingly, neither of them will accept any responsibility at all.

I booked this hotel through Eurostar for four nights, very encouraged by the reviews. During the booking process (apparently) Eurostar briefly mention on one of several pages that breakfast is not included. I may have missed it – if so, my fault. However, on all subsequent documentation sent by Eurostar, there is no mention of whether breakfast is included or not. I booked well before I travelled, and had booked other hotels, so did not recall whether it was part of the deal for this hotel on arrival.

Eurostar’s excuse for not putting it on the documentation (don’t laugh) is that ”it would be impossible to put all the details on the documentation”. Really? All the important details?

On arrival at the hotel, no mention was made at check-in about breakfast. Yes, I should have asked. We were tired and eager to get to our room, and we didn’t. When we went down to breakfast next morning, we found our name was on a list as we went into breakfast. Great, we thought, breakfast must be included. 4 days later, at check-out, we were presented with a bill for 216 Euros, when we expected to have no bill. Yes, the hotel had been charging us 27 euros each for breakfast, and we had no idea. A fairly obscene price, I have to say.

I think this is a shady way to do business, both on the part of Eurostar and The Dominican. We are used to rip-off Britain, now we must get used to rip-off Belgium.

I only asked for a 50% refund because I accept my share of the blame. Eurostar effectively told me to ‘get lost’ –their customer service is a bit chaotic –try it and see. The hotel were nicer but the message in the end was the same. In every other respect it is a nice hotel, but all the friendliness of the staff turned sour when we realised what they had done to us.
I tell this sorry tale only to save another couple from the same unhappy circumstances.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ItalianLakesRus
Dear guest,
I know you well, as we have been discussing over email for a considerable time. I have expressed my true feelings of comprehension towards your disappointment, though the hotel can not take responsibility for booking confirmations from the hands of travel agents.
Your chosen travel agent has clearly stated that the hotel was not to blame, and I have forwarded you this information immediately. When choosing to book a hotel directly without including third parties (agents), relationships are clear and responsabilities are obvious. However I really appreciate your honesty about dividing the blame in between the agent, the hotel and yourself. By the way, I have discovered the existence of Durham through a train window on my way from London to Newcastle last week. I have never seen a lovelier town before! Lucky you! Best regards. Gilles Devos, Director of Sales.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I had drinks and dinner at the hotel as a friend visiting town for work was staying there. The decor is stylish and the public parts of the building have been renovated sympathetically. Our evening began well with a drink in the bar where, Kevin, the barman displayed an excellent knowledge of the good range of gins available and provided impeccable, prompt and polite service. Afterwards, we moved to the restaurant for dinner. The food was fine for Brussels standards but not exceptional. In contrast to the top service we had received in the bar, however, that in the restaurant was not what one would expect from such an establishment. Having lived in Brussels for well over 20 years I always use French or Dutch (the city's two official languages) when interacting with public authorities, people in shops, restaurants etc. Our waiter refused point blank to speak French with us persistently replying in English to our requests and questions in French. If his knowledge of French was insufficient to hold a conversation then he ought to have found a replacement who could speak French. To repeatedly reply to someone in a language other than that in which they are addressing you is rude anywhere; in this city it is a political statement and an unpleasant one at that. We finished our meal with a coffee after which 'our' waiter disappeared; another was just visible on the other side of the restaurant. After some 20 minutes or so, I was able to attract the attention of one of the barmen who came in to serve drinks to a group. I asked for the bill and said we had been waiting for 'our' waiting for ages. He told us that the waiter in question was not 'ours' and that the waiter was busy cleaning tables (obviously far more important than dealing with customers); all waiters were at our disposition, he said. Any sign of an apology for us having to wait? No. If quality of service is important to the management of this establishment, I suggest they employ more people like Kevin the barman who knows what proper service is. I have given an 'average' grade for the my review as this balances the positive experience in the bar with the negative one in the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest, many thanks for your comments. Only this way, we are able to finetune our services. I am sorry for the disappointment, and I secretely hope for you to give us a second chance soon... Kind regards. Gilles Devos, Director of Sales.