“Disappointing”

Ranked #133 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by friends, but I have a feeling it had changed hands in the meantime.
We found the staff, unhelpful and inhospitable. The only gracious and caring staff member was the housekeeper, who sometimes manned the front desk.
The key management staff, were not available most of the time, and the facilities in our room were in much need of attention. The air conditioning, fridge and safe were broken and the elevator was temperamental.
The location was fantastic, the bed was comfy, and room reasonably clean, but everything else was sub standard. It's above a pub with a lot of noise and not much atmosphere. There was no breakfast.
I would not recommend this hotel due to poor and uncaring management.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Alice A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I (50+ woman travelling solo) stayed at this hotel 2 nights and found it to be clean, quiet, safe and well-located. My room was small and comfortable. When I had a problem with the TV, the gentleman at the front desk took care of it right away. I was a bit leery when I was shown to a room on a lower floor (concerned about noise), but I experienced no noise problems from the bar downstairs or the street. Service at this hotel is basic (often no one at front desk) - not a problem for me, but could be for some.

Room Tip: I did not find my room on the second floor to be noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank navis44
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel is well placed and reasonably priced.

However we found the service terrible. When we arrived we had already been charged for our stay in full which included breakfast. We were informed that breakfast was no longer available but we could use the extra behind the bar downstairs. (They could have just not charged us for breakfast). After a prolonged discussion it was agreed that if we did not use the extra credit we could have it back when we checked out. This was a massive problem as we had to wait for half an hour before someone came to the front desk, and only found someone after speaking to the cleaner (who was very helpful).

Also experienced poor service when we realised the safe and phone in the room did not work. Went to reception and had to wait for 10minutes whilst the bar man chatted before telling me someone would be sent up later. Nobody came.

The room was nice. There was road noise, but you would expect that from the location and I slept well because of all the exploring in the day.

Basically I would not stay here again because of the poor service and treatment. The bar is obviously the managements main concern and the hotel is an afterthought.

Room Tip: Avoid lower floors due to road noise
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jpwhope
Wirral, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Spacious, clean room on the first floor with great views over the streets below.

If you're coming back for the evening after the bar below has closed, note there is a key card entry pad by the hotel door to get in. This wasn't explained to me and I thought I was locked out for the evening!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank PB2775
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Hotel Orts couldn't be in a better location. It was a 5-15 minute walk to nearly every bar, restaurant, museum, sight we wanted to visit in Brussels. We were very thankful for that. The rooms are a fine size. Not luxurious by any means, but clean enough and perfect for non-fussy types. However, the staff did not speak any English and didn't attempt to help with any of the issues (mainly electrical) were were having with our room... the fridge didn't work, the AC clanked and banged and turned on and off all night, the electricity went out all together at least once each night, and our lights inexplicably wouldn't turn on one evening. It was difficult to get any issues resolved, so we had to choose our battles wisely. It's a very small hotel with a front desk that is often un-manned. If you're looking for good service, look elsewhere. It you're looking for an affordable place to stay in a perfect location, and you consider yourself fairly laid-back, Hotel Orts is worth considering.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katie s
Geel, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

The best points of this hotel are definitely the spacious rooms and its central location in Brussels. The rooms are very charming with a lot of wood, however the drawback of that is the wooden floor and therefore you can hear people walking on the upper floors.
Please take care to check in during the opening hours of the cafe, since the hotel reception and the cafe share the same lobby/desk and personnel, which also might make it hard to check-in quickly on a busy sunny day.
In summary, a good hotel with a few minor disadvantages.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the topfloor (such that there are no rooms in top of yours, so no people walking o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Truro, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited Brussels for the first time recently for a wedding party. We did not stay in the Hotel Orts and frankly I am incredibly glad we didn't. One night we were walking around the centre taking in the churches and sights and stopped into the Hotel Orts bar for a drink. From the outside it looked very classy and pleasant, which is why we chose it.

Well, the class stops at the door unfortunately. The staff inside were incredibly rude (I'm inclined to believe that this is because we were an English group, although we'd done nothing rowdy or offensive) and the price of the drinks was unbelievable! Brussels is not the cheapest place to visit, but there are certainly some limits. I was charged almost 12 euros for a single shot of HOUSE whiskey (nothing fancy, no brand names. Just the behind the bar paint thinner.) and when I asked for water that was another 2 euros for a bottle. I requested tap water but was very bluntly refused by the barman, who turned away from me and started to serve someone else.

Several of my friends ordered lager, hoping not to be charged so much, and it was actually reasonable at only 4 euros for a pint. Except it wasn't a pint of lager, it was a pint of brown faintly lager flavoured water. The heavily diluted beer tasted like swill, and once again our complaints fell on deaf and ignorant ears. "that is what it costs" they droned repeatedly while shrugging their shoulders. Obviously we weren't wanted in the bar (Which was practically empty and could have done with the custom) so we elected to leave as soon as possible.

I wish we had.

Before we went I needed to make use of the facilities and went downstairs to their bathroom. My God! The floor was literally drowned in what I can only assume was urine. The daren't step foot inside, but the room as I saw it was disgusting. The place was like some horrible nightmare Atlantis. Loose toiler paper rolls were strewn all over the floor, soaked in urine. Out of desperation I checked the ladies toilets and found them to be in similar (although not as bad) condition. Obviously this place is far more concerned with watering down their astronomically priced drinks than they are with maintaining hygiene standards.

I decided not to bother using the restroom and left quickly. On the way out I was treated for a final sneer fro the barman and that was that.

If the hotel bar, their public front of house area, is anything to go by then a stay at the hotel orts would have been hell itself.

AVOID!