“Poor Management and Service in Good location”
Review of Hotel Orts

Hotel Orts
Ranked #126 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Poor Management and Service in Good location”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel is well placed and reasonably priced.

However we found the service terrible. When we arrived we had already been charged for our stay in full which included breakfast. We were informed that breakfast was no longer available but we could use the extra behind the bar downstairs. (They could have just not charged us for breakfast). After a prolonged discussion it was agreed that if we did not use the extra credit we could have it back when we checked out. This was a massive problem as we had to wait for half an hour before someone came to the front desk, and only found someone after speaking to the cleaner (who was very helpful).

Also experienced poor service when we realised the safe and phone in the room did not work. Went to reception and had to wait for 10minutes whilst the bar man chatted before telling me someone would be sent up later. Nobody came.

The room was nice. There was road noise, but you would expect that from the location and I slept well because of all the exploring in the day.

Basically I would not stay here again because of the poor service and treatment. The bar is obviously the managements main concern and the hotel is an afterthought.

Room Tip: Avoid lower floors due to road noise
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jpwhope

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
Wirral, UK
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Spacious, clean room on the first floor with great views over the streets below.

If you're coming back for the evening after the bar below has closed, note there is a key card entry pad by the hotel door to get in. This wasn't explained to me and I thought I was locked out for the evening!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank PB2775
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 25, 2014

Hotel Orts couldn't be in a better location. It was a 5-15 minute walk to nearly every bar, restaurant, museum, sight we wanted to visit in Brussels. We were very thankful for that. The rooms are a fine size. Not luxurious by any means, but clean enough and perfect for non-fussy types. However, the staff did not speak any English and didn't attempt to help with any of the issues (mainly electrical) were were having with our room... the fridge didn't work, the AC clanked and banged and turned on and off all night, the electricity went out all together at least once each night, and our lights inexplicably wouldn't turn on one evening. It was difficult to get any issues resolved, so we had to choose our battles wisely. It's a very small hotel with a front desk that is often un-manned. If you're looking for good service, look elsewhere. It you're looking for an affordable place to stay in a perfect location, and you consider yourself fairly laid-back, Hotel Orts is worth considering.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank katie s
Geel, Belgium
Reviewed May 21, 2014

The best points of this hotel are definitely the spacious rooms and its central location in Brussels. The rooms are very charming with a lot of wood, however the drawback of that is the wooden floor and therefore you can hear people walking on the upper floors.
Please take care to check in during the opening hours of the cafe, since the hotel reception and the cafe share the same lobby/desk and personnel, which also might make it hard to check-in quickly on a busy sunny day.
In summary, a good hotel with a few minor disadvantages.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the topfloor (such that there are no rooms in top of yours, so no people walking o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited Brussels for the first time recently for a wedding party. We did not stay in the Hotel Orts and frankly I am incredibly glad we didn't. One night we were walking around the centre taking in the churches and sights and stopped into the Hotel Orts bar for a drink. From the outside it looked very classy and pleasant, which is why we chose it.

Well, the class stops at the door unfortunately. The staff inside were incredibly rude (I'm inclined to believe that this is because we were an English group, although we'd done nothing rowdy or offensive) and the price of the drinks was unbelievable! Brussels is not the cheapest place to visit, but there are certainly some limits. I was charged almost 12 euros for a single shot of HOUSE whiskey (nothing fancy, no brand names. Just the behind the bar paint thinner.) and when I asked for water that was another 2 euros for a bottle. I requested tap water but was very bluntly refused by the barman, who turned away from me and started to serve someone else.

Several of my friends ordered lager, hoping not to be charged so much, and it was actually reasonable at only 4 euros for a pint. Except it wasn't a pint of lager, it was a pint of brown faintly lager flavoured water. The heavily diluted beer tasted like swill, and once again our complaints fell on deaf and ignorant ears. "that is what it costs" they droned repeatedly while shrugging their shoulders. Obviously we weren't wanted in the bar (Which was practically empty and could have done with the custom) so we elected to leave as soon as possible.

I wish we had.

Before we went I needed to make use of the facilities and went downstairs to their bathroom. My God! The floor was literally drowned in what I can only assume was urine. The daren't step foot inside, but the room as I saw it was disgusting. The place was like some horrible nightmare Atlantis. Loose toiler paper rolls were strewn all over the floor, soaked in urine. Out of desperation I checked the ladies toilets and found them to be in similar (although not as bad) condition. Obviously this place is far more concerned with watering down their astronomically priced drinks than they are with maintaining hygiene standards.

I decided not to bother using the restroom and left quickly. On the way out I was treated for a final sneer fro the barman and that was that.

If the hotel bar, their public front of house area, is anything to go by then a stay at the hotel orts would have been hell itself.

AVOID!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank FPBurt
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had a great stay at Hotel Orts. We selected this hotel based on the location which is amazing (5 min walk from the Grand Place). We were able to shop, run back to the hotel to drop off our bags and return to the Grand Place for dinner - without it feeling like a hassle (and my husband hates extra walking!). There is a metro station at the end of the block. There is a Marriot across the street and we were able to easily get a taxi to the train station from there.

We pre-paid for our stay on the hotel's website and got a very good deal. I believe the pre-paying resulted in a substantial discount. Given the location, I really feel that we got a great value.

We stayed in a "Superior Double Room with Shower". This room was huge! There was plenty of room to spread out - not my usual experience in European cities. The room was clean and the décor was lovely, much more "boutique hotel" feel than "chain hotel". Our room had several balconies with great views. There was a nice desk area with adequate power plugs which I could have easily worked at if I had been there for business.

The bed was quite comfortable and decent sized. The heavy curtains on the windows kept the room nice and dark while we were sleeping. We didn't experience any noise problems.

This hotel is located above a restaurant of the same name. There is no "lobby" to speak of, just go into the restaurant and the reception desk is in the back corner. They were willing to store our luggage for us since we weren't leaving until the evening. Be aware, there is not luggage room, just an area of the restaurant behind a curtain. If you are the type to worry about your stuff, this might make you uncomfortable - when we left we were allowed to just "pick out" our stuff from the pile.

A few things kept me from rating this property excellent:

1. We arrived around midnight. The restaurant was closed and all the doors were locked. We knocked on the windows a couple of times, but no response. After looking at each other nervously for a minute, my husband went to the bar next door. The (very nice) owner of that bar assured us that someone was in there and pounded on the door for us. Eventually the door was opened (I believe the employee had been cleaning up in back and the door was locked to keep people from wondering in?) and we checked in without further issue.

2. The elevator doesn't have an inner door - meaning that the walls/doors of each floor go sliding past. If you get too close, the elevator stops itself - regardless of where you are, including between two floors. There is a note with instructions about what to do posted in the elevator (which we found after approximately 30 seconds of panicking).

3. The door to our room was right in front of a wall which kept the door from opening all the way. (In fact, there was a dent in that wall from the inner door knob hitting it so many times.) This was only a problem when we were getting our luggage in and out, but given the large size of the room, I'm not sure why the door had such an awkward configuration.

These are minor gripes however and should not keep you from staying at the Hotel Orts. It's a charming hotel in a great location!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gailberg
Miami
Reviewed March 19, 2014

To begin with, the Wifi is terrible and cuts out frequently. The evening desk clerk spoke barely any English and she was never there. The breakfast was very limited. On the plus side, it has a great location very near the Central Train Station as well as the main square, and there are lots of restaurants and good shopping in the area. I could have done much better for the money.

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the street as there is plenty of noise at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo