“Urine Soaked Over-Priced Charmless Dive”
Review of Hotel Orts

Hotel Orts
Ranked #127 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Truro, United Kingdom
“Urine Soaked Over-Priced Charmless Dive”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited Brussels for the first time recently for a wedding party. We did not stay in the Hotel Orts and frankly I am incredibly glad we didn't. One night we were walking around the centre taking in the churches and sights and stopped into the Hotel Orts bar for a drink. From the outside it looked very classy and pleasant, which is why we chose it.

Well, the class stops at the door unfortunately. The staff inside were incredibly rude (I'm inclined to believe that this is because we were an English group, although we'd done nothing rowdy or offensive) and the price of the drinks was unbelievable! Brussels is not the cheapest place to visit, but there are certainly some limits. I was charged almost 12 euros for a single shot of HOUSE whiskey (nothing fancy, no brand names. Just the behind the bar paint thinner.) and when I asked for water that was another 2 euros for a bottle. I requested tap water but was very bluntly refused by the barman, who turned away from me and started to serve someone else.

Several of my friends ordered lager, hoping not to be charged so much, and it was actually reasonable at only 4 euros for a pint. Except it wasn't a pint of lager, it was a pint of brown faintly lager flavoured water. The heavily diluted beer tasted like swill, and once again our complaints fell on deaf and ignorant ears. "that is what it costs" they droned repeatedly while shrugging their shoulders. Obviously we weren't wanted in the bar (Which was practically empty and could have done with the custom) so we elected to leave as soon as possible.

I wish we had.

Before we went I needed to make use of the facilities and went downstairs to their bathroom. My God! The floor was literally drowned in what I can only assume was urine. The daren't step foot inside, but the room as I saw it was disgusting. The place was like some horrible nightmare Atlantis. Loose toiler paper rolls were strewn all over the floor, soaked in urine. Out of desperation I checked the ladies toilets and found them to be in similar (although not as bad) condition. Obviously this place is far more concerned with watering down their astronomically priced drinks than they are with maintaining hygiene standards.

I decided not to bother using the restroom and left quickly. On the way out I was treated for a final sneer fro the barman and that was that.

If the hotel bar, their public front of house area, is anything to go by then a stay at the hotel orts would have been hell itself.

AVOID!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank FPBurt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We had a great stay at Hotel Orts. We selected this hotel based on the location which is amazing (5 min walk from the Grand Place). We were able to shop, run back to the hotel to drop off our bags and return to the Grand Place for dinner - without it feeling like a hassle (and my husband hates extra walking!). There is a metro station at the end of the block. There is a Marriot across the street and we were able to easily get a taxi to the train station from there.

We pre-paid for our stay on the hotel's website and got a very good deal. I believe the pre-paying resulted in a substantial discount. Given the location, I really feel that we got a great value.

We stayed in a "Superior Double Room with Shower". This room was huge! There was plenty of room to spread out - not my usual experience in European cities. The room was clean and the décor was lovely, much more "boutique hotel" feel than "chain hotel". Our room had several balconies with great views. There was a nice desk area with adequate power plugs which I could have easily worked at if I had been there for business.

The bed was quite comfortable and decent sized. The heavy curtains on the windows kept the room nice and dark while we were sleeping. We didn't experience any noise problems.

This hotel is located above a restaurant of the same name. There is no "lobby" to speak of, just go into the restaurant and the reception desk is in the back corner. They were willing to store our luggage for us since we weren't leaving until the evening. Be aware, there is not luggage room, just an area of the restaurant behind a curtain. If you are the type to worry about your stuff, this might make you uncomfortable - when we left we were allowed to just "pick out" our stuff from the pile.

A few things kept me from rating this property excellent:

1. We arrived around midnight. The restaurant was closed and all the doors were locked. We knocked on the windows a couple of times, but no response. After looking at each other nervously for a minute, my husband went to the bar next door. The (very nice) owner of that bar assured us that someone was in there and pounded on the door for us. Eventually the door was opened (I believe the employee had been cleaning up in back and the door was locked to keep people from wondering in?) and we checked in without further issue.

2. The elevator doesn't have an inner door - meaning that the walls/doors of each floor go sliding past. If you get too close, the elevator stops itself - regardless of where you are, including between two floors. There is a note with instructions about what to do posted in the elevator (which we found after approximately 30 seconds of panicking).

3. The door to our room was right in front of a wall which kept the door from opening all the way. (In fact, there was a dent in that wall from the inner door knob hitting it so many times.) This was only a problem when we were getting our luggage in and out, but given the large size of the room, I'm not sure why the door had such an awkward configuration.

These are minor gripes however and should not keep you from staying at the Hotel Orts. It's a charming hotel in a great location!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gailberg
Miami
Reviewed March 19, 2014

To begin with, the Wifi is terrible and cuts out frequently. The evening desk clerk spoke barely any English and she was never there. The breakfast was very limited. On the plus side, it has a great location very near the Central Train Station as well as the main square, and there are lots of restaurants and good shopping in the area. I could have done much better for the money.

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the street as there is plenty of noise at night.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Kalbarri, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Clean rooms and en suites with lovely decor. Two windows onto the street giving plenty of light and interesting views below. Good free WiFi. Seemed quiet at night.

Fast efficient check in and check out and very friendly and helpful staff.

Nice downstairs bar and restaurant area but the best part is the outside street pavement cafe area where you can sit, eat, drink and watch life go by all in the comfort of being behind a glass screen, to keep any wind out, and below outdoor heaters. I spent most of my 4 days sat there (even in February!). Croque monsieur, cognac and coffee for breakfast - sheer bliss!

The surrounding area is packed with restaurants and bars (Belgian, Italian, Thai, Chinese, even McDonalds!). Booze shop next door with the biggest selection of alcohol I've ever seen. I can highly recommend Spago Italian restaurant a couple of doors away. Nice atmosphere and great food.

Only 10 minutes walk to the Grand Place or Mannekin Pis and it is noticeable how things get more touristy the closer you get to those. I soon got back to the area near this hotel (Place St Gere).

Taxi to Midi train station takes 10 minutes and should cost no more than 10 Euro including tip.

This will definitely be my base for future visits to Brussels. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KalbarriDr
London
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The hotel is very near the Grand Place. There are also some really great neighbourhood restaurants just round the corner from the hotel. The hotel was clean and well designed and comfortable. It was the perfect base for exploring Brussels. The staff were wonderful. I was travelling with my young son (1.5 years) and parents, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. They really went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2014

my wife and I stayed at hotel orts for one week,july,2013.loved the location,walk to place central,train station,many many restaurants in area.staff could not have been more helpful and friendly.excellent English spoken here.we highly recommend it.terrific 3 star hotel.cannot think of a negative

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Belgium
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We wanted to spend new years eve in Brussels and based on its location and the great reviews we chose the Hotel Orts. When we arrived our resevation was nowhere to be found even though I had a printed confirmation and the room was already paid for. I noticed that several guests still had to arrive, but they chose to make us wait and to try to relocate us to another hotel. I finally had to call the Booking.com servicedesk to persuade them to give us a room and to find a solution for the guest that were arriving later. With little enthosiasm they checked us in a room but when they wanted to give us the key they found out that one of the bar-boys had given this room to some-one else...
The room we finaly got after more confusion was really nice and clean. The location is perfect and the breakfast OK. Still I found it strange that the person in charge of the breakfast had to ask me wether it was included in the room-price or not.
Later I noticed that they had charged my creditcard a second time when they checked us in, so I had to claim my money back (still waiting).
So yes its a good hotel with a good location, but the organizational skills of the staff could certainly be improved.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple