“Room with a view...”

Ranked #26 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Lisbon
“Room with a view...”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Motel One for two nights (9 to 11th of june 2014) in room 481. I chose this hotel based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking and based on its location, not far from the Grand Place and walking distance to the venue I was going to attend, either walking or by public transportation. My expectations were adequately met. This seemed to be essentially a hotel that caters to the business traveler, might be adequate for couples or a pair of friends on a short break to Brussels.
Things I disliked:
- the choice of TV channels is poor. As you enter the room, the TV automatically turns on and greats you with a relaxing music and a video of...fish in an aquarium! Turns out this is the most interesting program available. If you want to see more than news or business channels and you don't speak German or Dutch, then you're stuck with the fish. I didn't understand why there should be Russia Today in English and Spanish, for example, and not even a film channel in English. C'mon guys, even business people need to relax!
- the room has large windows (nice), fully transparent. In many rooms, and for some people, this may be a concern. My room, for example, and many more like it, were facing the nice internal courtyard. Since this has sort of a round shape, I could clearly see what was going on in the other rooms (I suppose others could see into my room too). Of course, you can always pull the curtains, but they are heavy, warm curtains, which in hot days as the ones I got, not only makes the room unnecessarily dark (when it's beautiful sunshine outside) but also puts extra pressure on the air conditioning. As I said, this is a concern if privacy is a big issue for you; I could see this was not a problem for some of my neighbours...

Things I liked (to end on a positive note):
I'm happy to say that the things I liked more than surpass the rest.
- Décor: really, really beautiful, turning a large hotel such as this almost into a boutique design hotel.
- Room: very comfortable, impeccably clean. However, you may find it small if you bring a large suitcase.
- Soundproofing: absolutely spot on! I couldn't hear a thing around me. Brilliant!
- Breakfast: simple, but effective, pretty much a self-service affair, loved the slightly warm bread that seemed straight from the bakery.
- Location: Excellent! It's about 10 minutes walk to the Grand Place area, a bit less to Central Station, 20 minutes to the Schumann area, where my meeting was taking place. I chose to walk every day, but the Park metro station is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel and no need to change until Schumann. The hotel area is quite safe, so no problems in walking around at night.
- WiFi: hassle free access, strong signal, perfect.

I payed € 182 for two nights (single occupancy), including breakfast and taxes, which is not bad at all, for Brussels and considering what the hotel has to offer. This is definitely a place where I'll stay again on future trips to Brussels and I recommend it to those who travel to Brussels for business or for a short break. Just remember to travel light and...to keep ALL clothes on while in the room...

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank paulolisb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Arnhem, Gelderland, Netherlands
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Nice modern basic design hotel. Brand new, with friendly staff. Rooms are not huge, but big enough. Bathrooms are clean and have excellent showers. Top hotel for a friendly price in the centre if Brussels. Walking distance to the Market and main attractions.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank TvG1900
Brussels
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed in many hotels in BXL, but this new Hotel is simply the best. I don't want to pay a fortune for a large room where I only sleep, so having a small room, but a comfortable large bed is all I need and additionally a well organised bathroom where a person >1,90m can have a shower without making gymnastics. Its the first time to realize that an achitect did his job till the end including high quality and no fancy interior design.
And the location is perfect: next to the Metro Park or some Trams and in walking distance either to the Europe area or city center!
I didn't take the breakfast, so no comment. Check-in was easy and friendly.
This hotel will be my first choice next time I go to BXL.

Room Tip: Rooms have all sound-proof windows. The view is either to the court inside (not exciting) or to one...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank AlfredENeumann
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My husband chose Motel One because of its location and positive TripAdvisor reviews.

Walking to the hotel from the train station and checking in were a breeze. We were also pleased with the service levels presented to us by the hotel staff at all times. Very different and heartwarming, compared to other customer service levels we have experienced elsewhere in Europe.

For once, the actual hotel reflected the photos shown on its website. :)

What we liked about the room:
- cosy COMFORTABLE bed
- very CLEAN bathroom, with good ventilation... plus a bath gel that smells great and an awesome shower
- soundproof
- free in-room WIFI... connection was consistent throughout our stay

What we feel can be improved:
- add an in-room safe box
- offer complimentary coffee/tea-making facilities
- add more English ENTERTAINMENT channels... we never watched TV after we realized the news channels were the only English ones available.

This was a birthday surprise getaway my husband booked for me... And although he requested post-booking and even in person if the hotel could make any special arrangements for me on my birthday, he was declined politely. My personal view is that no matter what kind of hotel one is in the hospitality industry, guests' requests should never be declined / brushed aside.. and given some thought. :)

This stay was our first experience with Motel One, and yes, we would definitely consider staying at other Motel One hotels in future. :)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dValH_way
Riga, Latvia
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

While I was looking for a cheaper option this hotel pleasantly surprised me! It's new (opening party 5June), modern,stylish,beautiful! The rooms are cool,the windows incredibly noise-cancelling (I was there during G7). The breakfast is really nice and rich for just 7.50€. Cool waiting area! It's so nice I invited my friends for meetings there! Definitely a one to recommend!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Alphen aan den Rijn, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

If you stay in a hotrl in a city in general you want a place to sleep that is clean and there is not much fuss. That is pretty much what you get at this place. Our room was small, just big enough for a bed and us to move around. The bathroom was clean. We didn't try the breakfast. Thd best thing is thst (paid) 24hrs parking is under the hotel (Parking Royale), which made it very convenient.
Words of warning: the reception seems to be run by trainees, they appear a bit clueless. Also something to consider is that the Grand Place is down the hill. Great on your way into town, it is a easy walk. But not so great on the way back. I

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul L
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I was very happy to find this hotel, close to the premises of my conference. There are a lot of positive aspects to mention: close to 2 metro stops, close to the parc so you can relax or go jogging/exercising; a huge lobby area, very well soundproofed rooms, modern shower&TV, hairdryer in the room, wifi everywhere in the hotel and a very decent&fresh breakfast; easy check-in and check-out and all of this for a good price. The not so positive: in the lobby it is too hot, it felt like the airco does not have enough capacity to cool it off, there is no soap in the rooms, only shower/shampoo gel, no TV remote in the room which I did not bother to go downstairs to lobby to ask for, no light switch for the little lamps above the bed, you have to go out of bed and take out the key card. If the hotel will figure this little things it will be a top nudge hotel! If I am in town for business I will definitely stay here !!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business