I stayed at Motel One for two nights (9 to 11th of june 2014) in room 481. I chose this hotel based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking and based on its location, not far from the Grand Place and walking distance to the venue I was going to attend, either walking or by public transportation. My expectations were adequately met. This seemed to be essentially a hotel that caters to the business traveler, might be adequate for couples or a pair of friends on a short break to Brussels.
Things I disliked:
- the choice of TV channels is poor. As you enter the room, the TV automatically turns on and greats you with a relaxing music and a video of...fish in an aquarium! Turns out this is the most interesting program available. If you want to see more than news or business channels and you don't speak German or Dutch, then you're stuck with the fish. I didn't understand why there should be Russia Today in English and Spanish, for example, and not even a film channel in English. C'mon guys, even business people need to relax!
- the room has large windows (nice), fully transparent. In many rooms, and for some people, this may be a concern. My room, for example, and many more like it, were facing the nice internal courtyard. Since this has sort of a round shape, I could clearly see what was going on in the other rooms (I suppose others could see into my room too). Of course, you can always pull the curtains, but they are heavy, warm curtains, which in hot days as the ones I got, not only makes the room unnecessarily dark (when it's beautiful sunshine outside) but also puts extra pressure on the air conditioning. As I said, this is a concern if privacy is a big issue for you; I could see this was not a problem for some of my neighbours...
Things I liked (to end on a positive note):
I'm happy to say that the things I liked more than surpass the rest.
- Décor: really, really beautiful, turning a large hotel such as this almost into a boutique design hotel.
- Room: very comfortable, impeccably clean. However, you may find it small if you bring a large suitcase.
- Soundproofing: absolutely spot on! I couldn't hear a thing around me. Brilliant!
- Breakfast: simple, but effective, pretty much a self-service affair, loved the slightly warm bread that seemed straight from the bakery.
- Location: Excellent! It's about 10 minutes walk to the Grand Place area, a bit less to Central Station, 20 minutes to the Schumann area, where my meeting was taking place. I chose to walk every day, but the Park metro station is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel and no need to change until Schumann. The hotel area is quite safe, so no problems in walking around at night.
- WiFi: hassle free access, strong signal, perfect.
I payed € 182 for two nights (single occupancy), including breakfast and taxes, which is not bad at all, for Brussels and considering what the hotel has to offer. This is definitely a place where I'll stay again on future trips to Brussels and I recommend it to those who travel to Brussels for business or for a short break. Just remember to travel light and...to keep ALL clothes on while in the room...
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Motel One reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.