“Great local place”
Review of Downtown-BXL

Downtown-BXL
Ranked #20 of 209 Brussels B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Great little B&B, very helpful staff, great breakfast, and best location you could wish for if you want the centre of Brussels.
Only 5 rooms on 5 floors, and the top floor is quite a steep climb! Top floor has the bedroom up yet another flight of narrow, steep stairs so you'll get fit, if you don't drink too much and fall!
Bit of a busy area at night, and lots of police/ambulance sirens, but maybe we were unlucky?

Room Tip: All rooms great, but the higher you go the more you climb the very steep stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ged S
There are newer reviews for Downtown-BXL

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Could not think of a better location if you want to be near the Grand Place, dining, bars, boutique shopping and public transportation. Our hosts were friendly and helpful. The breakfast is varied and large. The only downside would be going up stairs if that is a problem for you. We were on the fourth floor and our luggage was taken up and down for us. In their website they do tell you that there is not a lift. Clean, comfortable beds and the rooms are well decorated.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I spent 2 days in Brussels and I was at the Downtown BnB. The whole house has a lot of character! It starts with the entrance (with piano), the staircase with all the book shelves and the room that was gorgeous! Wooden dark floor and a very nice bathroom. Luckily the bedroom had an aircon as it was under the roof and in the middle of the summer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed 2 nights. We had the room/apt. #5. Very impressive; spacious, clean, well decorated and...comfortable (they have A/C in this room). But make sure that you are able to climb 12 sets of impressive triangle shape narrow stairs. The food was excellent and Thierry and his team were very helpful and friendly. Service was perfect. B&B is located in the heart of Brussels. Would go back again to DowntownBXL. Thank you guys!

Olivier and Carelle

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Clean, comfortable, friendly. Location is good too, with many good restaurants just along the street. Good breakfast. Bit of a struggle up 3 flights of stairs in the hot weather, but otherwise nothing to complain of. Look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: No lift. Stairs are narrow and irregular, so be aware.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had a wonderful 3 night stay at this B&B and enjoyed the wonderful breakfast each morning served by Theo. English well spoken.We were given a city map and quick orientation, along with restaurant recommendations. Terrific coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice, eggs, warm croissants and jams. Fresh fruit is also available. The room was at the top of a very long flight of stairs (no lift) but Theo assisted us with luggage both upon arrival and departure. The inn is located near all the main Bruxelles attractions and we walked everywhere without any problem- the Sablon district, the Grand Place, Place Royal and park, St Catherine for seafood. There are a few bars close by and we heard some noise and music late at night, but nothing too disruptive and the windows are double paned to help with this. Room and bathroom very clean. Nice linens and comfortable double bed. We highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Website vs real room:
Stayed for just a night here. I spent a little more to stay here out of the other 17 days of my Europe trip, as it was my birthday on the very day I stayed here. But when I entered the room and saw that its furnishing is completely different from what I saw on their website (http://www.downtownbxl.com/bed-and-breakfast-brussel.htm), I was not only upset and disappointed, but felt kind of cheated. It completely ruined my birthday celebratory mood.

The room, as shown on its website, had luxurious red carpet, black walls, and a unique round bed, with pop-art posters of Marilyn Monroe on the black walls. It also had 2 luxurious red and gold chairs at the sides of the bed, and an armchair. The whole room, as advertised on its website, looks chic and very luxurious.

It was nothing like it when I entered the room. It had barren looking wooden board floors which creaked a little when I walked. The room had just a simple table, dark green and light green walls instead, and a contemporary lounge chair and another simple chair. The only thing common with what was advertised was the round bed, the ceiling lamp, and the curtains.

Location:
That disappointment aside, and to give a fair review, its location is superb. It is very near to the Grand Place (Grote Markt) and to the Manneken Pis (aka Le Petit Julien). They are about less than 10 mins' walk away from the B&B, and you can see the tall spires of the Town Hall at the Grand Place from the street outside the B&B, so you can easily navigate yourselves towards there. What most people do not know is that there is also a female version of the Manneken Pis, the Jeanneke Pis, which is also within walking distance, so to complete your view of the Manneken Pis, you may want to find its female version.

Room:
I stayed on the first floor, and thankfully too because the stairs are pretty narrow and steep. The room is rather spacious and comfortable, with a unique round bed which I had a good sleep in, a lounge chair which I managed to relax in, and a very modern TV with screens that opened like a movie theatre's curtain when you switch it on. I also liked that it has good daylight streaming through from tall floor to ceiling windows.

Getting there:
It is very convenient to get to the B&B. From Brussel's biggest railway station, the Bruxelles-Midi (French) / Brussel-Zuid (Dutch) / Brussels-South (English) -- they all are one and the same station but goes by different language names so it might cause a little bit of confusion, but they are the same station -- take Tram #3 or #4 (going towards Esplanade / Gare du Nord) and alight at Anneessens (2 stops away). Once you get out of the tram and get to the street level, walk 2-3mins along Boulevard Maurice Lemmonier and turn right into Rue des Bogards. The very first door on the right of the street is where the B&B is. Or just note the big sign "Nuit de Chine" visible from the main boulevard (see pictures attached) - the B&B is just left of it. It is easy to completely miss the door of the B&B if you do not pay attention, as the sign is very small. I completely walked past it and had to retrace my steps to find it.

Service:
Warm and friendly service with a basic breakfast served. The day I arrived, I was met by a staff whom helped me with the luggage and informed me to lock the main door and the breakfast room door whenever I leave. But he disappeared right after and I could not ask him about why the room looked so different from the website, so I asked the cleaner who was still cleaning my room. She could not really speak English but tried to explain that they change the furnishing of the room after they took pictures for the website. The next morning, I met Theo, the B&B owner, who was serving breakfast. He was charming and warm and friendly. He explained that because some people had allergic reactions to the carpet, they decided to remove it and because it was easier to maintain the room without the carpets. In any case, I felt that they should have updated their website's pictures, as I find that it's a complete misrepresentation of what one actually sees and paid for.

Overall, aside from the misrepresentation of room furnishing, the B&B is still a good place to stay in terms of location and facilities and service. But maybe, I would not pay the price I paid for it given the less luxurious look of it in reality.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
DavidDowntown-BXL, Owner at Downtown-BXL, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear guest,

Thanks for your long and detailled review.

We apologize that the changes in the room (improvements from our point of view) “completely ruined your birthday celebratory mood”. Nevertheless, we do not feel that we “cheat” our guests. On the contrary: in order to keep most of our guests happy we need to be permanently renovating and re decorating the rooms.

After some time, we thought it was time to remove the red carpet and put a brand new wooden floor. The walls are now painted 2 tones dark grey (not green) and the new ‘simple’ furniture you mention is a “chaise longue” designed by the famous French designer LE CORBUSIER http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Corbusier (you uploaded a picture of it), and an original MARCEL BREUER chair http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Breuer. Furthermore the room has also been upgraded with a Bang and Olufsen TV.

Let's also precise that the so called “basic” breakfast consists of 2 sorts of fresh home baked breads and croissants, coffee/tea/chocolate, freshly squeezed orange juice, 2 different types of cheese, ham, salami, butter, marmalades, different Belgian specialities(speculoos paste, côte d’or black chocolate, sirop de liege), breakfast cereals, eggs, fresh fruits and yoghurt…

Once again, please accept our apologies. We do our best to satisfy our guests. According to most Trip Advisor reviews, it seems that we do.
Unfortunately, not always and we must accept it...