“Highly Recommended!”

Ranked #90 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Hong Kong, China
“Highly Recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2009

I was a walk-in client. I was surprised and happy to have been specially offered a very cheap price Euro45@ for two nights (It's the cheapest hotel in my Paris-Brussels-Luxembourg trip and actually anywhere else I visited in Europe). My room which is small is at the back side and perfectly meets my need as a solo traveller. It's clean. There were enough TV programmes choices and I like it, though didn't understand what's talking in French.

Staff are very nice, friendly and caring. Buffet breakfast is wonderful (see pic). I also dined in the same restaurant. It should be good but as I had mistakenly ordered a rabbit maincourse which I am not used to with the menu in French, I ate little (my travel book wrongfully introduced it as eel!).

It's location is excellent and it will be my first choice in case I come to Brussels again. Belgium people are more friendly, nice, as compared.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank MissHK2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Korean first
Glen Ellyn, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2008

This is the only hotel on the Grand Place. If you stay in a front facing room you will need earplugs. If you stay in a back facing room you will need a sense of humor. Room decor is from 1970; so are the sheets and blankets. That was also the last time anyone ever washed the walls or vacuumed the spider webs. The carpet is stained and appears dirty. Thankfully, the bathroom seemed clean. The location is great and the breakfast was also fine.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed September 2008
1 Thank ILJilly
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2008

We stayed at the Hotel St.Michel this Easter and found it a lovely simple and relaxed place to stay despite being in one of the most interesting and lively addresses in the city. It's the only hotel on the Grand Place and the views are wonderful, I could sit in the picture window looking out all day at the activity on the square and considering that it was snowing and so freezing outside almost all the time we were there this was a real bonus. Although the square was busy almost all the time except in the dead of night I did not find the noise disturbing. In fact if absolute quiet is required then there are plenty of other places to go but without the excitement of staying in one of the most beautiful squares in Europe. We stayed in room 22, the room was big and cosy, not over sanitised like some of the bigger chain hotels and so retained it's character. I liked the touch of the fridge in the bedroom with the note inside pointing to the wheareabouts of the bottle opener. The staff were friendly and the fine breakfast is served til 11.30. The price is also very reasonable for such a location. It's also very close to the main train station and the metro.
We were lucky to get availabitlity as there was a cancellation at short notice and I hope that if we go back to Brussels that we can stay there again.

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank bluefinu
Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2007

Hotel Saint Michel is in a great location ..... but that is about the only good thing about the hotel. We were in rooms 23 & 41 and they were both horrible .. they were in the back of the hotel and I did see one of the front rooms which did actually look okay but the rooms we occupied were purely horrible and we dreaded going back to them. They were tiny and in dire need of a complete decorative overhaul to say the least. Admittedly the sheets and bathroom were thankfully clean. The restaurant downstairs where we ate breakfast was nice with a lovely view of the square and the breakfast was good. The staff were lovely save for the unfriendly gentleman who checked us in. The woman who checked us out was more than helpful with excellent english and willing to get train times for us (to Brugges which I can highly recommend. We stayed at Hotel Patritius in Brugge which was lovely). If you want location only then this hotel might suit you .... but for the extra money the Hotel Novotel & Ibis are very close by and looked lovely. Brussels is nice & Christmas is a lovely time to visit as the square is fabulously light up and there are Christmas markets to stroll around. But please do not stay at this horrible hotel!

Stayed December 2007
1 Thank 000385
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

This hotel is rght in the middle of Grand Place, undoubtedly the best location in the entire city! Hotel amenities are great, good free breakfast, friendly staff. We had a room in the back and had no problems with noise at all.

Stayed October 2007
Scunthorpe, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2007

This hotel is ideally situated at the heart of the Grand Place where culture is surrounding you.
Upon check in we were informed that we could change our rooms for no extra cost due to other clients wanting to swop to a back room due to the front rooms being too loud for them. We did swop and I must admit due to being a light sleeper I had a disturbed night however other people in our party didn't notice it. If you are a light sleeper go for a back room - guaranteed good nights sleep.
The views from the front rooms are second to none and if you are lucky to be there when an event is taking place in the Grand Place what better place to be.
The staff are extremely polite, friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble.
I really liked the breakfast times. Often you have to get up extra early to have breakfast however, breakfast was held until 11.30am allowing you to have a nice lie in!

• Liked — The Location and Price
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything I didn't like
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2006

We found the staff of this hotel knowledgeable, courteous and friendly. Rooms overlooking the Grand Place provide a great view and opportunity to people watch. As the square is busy throughout the night I do not recommend this hotel for light sleepers unless you have a back room. Rooms are spacious and clean. We will definitely return to this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Steps to conquer to get to reception area
  • Tips/Secrets — If you are a light sleeper, stay away