“Good and quiet location”

Best Western Hotel Royal Centre
Ranked #77 of 198 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our first stay at the Best Western Hotel Royal Centre, for an extended weekend. The hotel location is excellent, with only about a quarter of an hour walking distance to the Grand Place. The rooms do in our opinion well represent a four star hotel and we were surprised how quiet it was, despite the very central location. The breakfast buffet was good and the staff very helpful and service minded. We will definitely consider the Best Western Hotel Royal Centre for our next stay in Brussels.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel Royal Centre

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Good location. The room was nice, comfortable and quiet. Lovely breakfast with a wide selection of continental and cooked options avaliable. Great coffee but only avaliable at breakfast time. Only downside to this hotel was no tea /coffee avaliable through the day/evening.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2014

One advantage is that arriving at Brussel-Midi (train station), one has a fairly good (direct) metro connection, which brings you in walking distance to the hotel. Arriving at the reception, we got a very friendly welcome by the staff and could immediately go to our room which was on the 4th floor directly in front of the elevators. Other reviewers have complained about the noise, we however heard basically nothing. The room was nice, nothing special, just nice. The bed was big, soft and very comfortable. The TV was too small in my opinion with a rather bad resolution. The bathroom was also small, especially the bathtub. We used it only for showering but even that was challenging in case you wanted to turn around. In addition, the shower was leaking meaning that the floor next to the door was always flooded with water. One point, which annoys me always with hotels offering free wifi, the bad connection one ends up with. Getting emails or loading wikipedia takes ages. My advise to all hotels, if you are offering wifi make it work everywhere.
The breakfast buffet was decent, nothing special, small buns, croissants, cereals (although some dispensers didn't work and the labels were always wrong). The spacing of the tables were also not optimal. We sat at a table for two and had only very little space around us, it was too tight. We really had to squeeze between to tables to get to our own.
Regarding its location, the city center is very close by, within 10 min walking distance. That's definitely a plus. Although, its neighbourhood is not the prettiest.
It's a good hotel with a very good location, however, it is not 4* in my opinion. Too many things didn't work or were broken or were just inconvenient.
In the end, if you get a good offer, like we did, then take it. Otherwise, maybe you can find something better.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Good large bedroom on top floor with great views. Good bathroom and excellent shower.
Breakfast was ok but only a few hot selections. Don't really cater or seem to want evening meals or bar trade. Bar staff very offhand and could not really be bothered. Asked for a red wine to be told sorry none left. ( yet every minibar in all the rooms had red wine ??

Room Tip: Eight floor room very nice
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I’ve said it before, I know, but first impressions really do count and while I was looking forward to relaxing in my room at the Best Western Royal Centre hotel in Brussels recently, I was on a loser from the word go.

First, the receptionist informed me that there was no restaurant – only room service (and the menu didn’t look too appetising) – and yet the hotel had four stars plastered over the front door. Surely, four stars mean you get a restaurant? Not in the Best Western Royal Centre. Dare I call for a ‘level playing field’ on the star rating system in Europe?

I don’t know about you, but room service is never ideal. It’s ‘making do’, it’s the equivalent of a ‘working lunch’ or sitting at home with a tray on your lap, eating while watching television. I hate room service – surely, half of the attraction of staying away is eating in the hotel restaurant? – and I can’t stand it when I walk along a hotel corridor, en route to the elevators, and see plates of leftover food and soiled cutlery on a tray awaiting collection. Horrible! At least there's breakfast (of which, more later).

So I’m staying in room 506. Not a problem, but the door is a bit sticky. You might think I’m complaining unnecessarily and, to a degree, I am (we can all live with sticky door – for a while) but it was the second negative I associated with this particular hotel experience.

I’d travelled by Eurostar from London to Brussels (a pleasant trip) but I’d been wearing a suit all day and was glad to get to my room and take it off. However, I started to wonder whether the room was on a slope as the wardrobe’s sliding doors, separating me from a selection of unruly coat hangers, kept rolling back as if they were on a hill. To add insult to injury, as I tried to get the pesky hangers off the rail, the rail simply collapsed, taking with it all the hangers; they clattered noisily to the ground and I wondered if the noise was familiar to residents in nearby rooms – or, indeed, whether they had experienced the same thing.

Another problem was the WiFi. I’m wrote this review on Microsoft Word rather than rely upon the incredibily slow internet; there was a business centre downstairs, but I’m in my room and the last thing I want to do – at nearly 11pm – is go down five floors in the lift just to do a spot of writing.

The room was fine. It was a twin room. It was clean, had everything I needed, there was even a minibar! I’ve said it before that a full minibar means that the hotel trusts its guests and this minibar was full with drinks and, of course, a Toberlone – the chocolate equivalent of U2 (it’s SO international!). The phone worked, it was all very good except for the wardrobe with its sliding doors and dodgy rail.

I went out in search of a restaurant in which to eat dinner and after 20 minutes of wandering around resorted to a strange place called De Ultieme Hallucinatie – about 15 minutes on foot from the hotel. Not a good choice and now I wish I’d taken a chance on the flamboyant looking Bloom! Hotel’s restaurant, but alas, I endured slow, poor service, a menu I couldn’t understand and food I didn’t particularly enjoy – gooey lamb chops, sweaty vegetables and sticky potatoes. The only redeeming part of the meal was the Rochefort Trappist ale (11.5%). The bill with dessert came to EUR27.50.

Breakfast was fine and now I must check out. Would I stay here again? Yes, but I’d leave more time to find a decent place to eat – although the Bloom! Hotel might be next on my list. Having said that, how can a hotel plaster four stars over its doorway and not offer a decent restaurant? However, in its defence, a hotel without a restaurant means you have to explore the city, which ain’t a bad thing.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 21, 2014

I stayed for two days on a business trip and thought it was about adequate. I can’t give it a very good review though, because of the bathroom flooding which I reported three times and nothing was done about it, the rather narrow and slippery bathtub which I thought was dangerous, and being able to hear people snoring in the next room which obviously isn’t great when you’re trying to sleep after a hard day’s work. So I would not recommend this hotel for a business stay.
Having said that, I thought staff were friendly, the room was decent size and the bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was of a good and standard variety. However, I couldn’t understand why tables, which were placed very close together thus offering no room for privacy, weren’t cleared for some time and therefore finding a clean table was difficult even though there weren’t many people there at all. I thought this was a bit odd but do have to say that it only happed on the first morning. Perhaps there was a shortage of staff that day.
All in all, I thought the room was OK, clean, warm, with a comfortable bed. Would recommend for a leisure trip if you don’t mind thin walls.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 5, 2014

The hotel is within walking distance of all important sights. Personnel is easy going and helpfull. The breakfast buffet is very good and during a long period. Also the check out time of 12 o'clock is great!
Rooms are clean, beds are good. I slept very well.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel