“You get what you pay for. I was satisfied with it.”
Review of The Moon Hotel

The Moon Hotel
Ranked #134 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Toronto
“You get what you pay for. I was satisfied with it.”
Reviewed May 13, 2010

This is a very small hotel, located above a restaurant. About 10 minutes from the train station walking - not easy to find (because it's so small) but when I called reception because I couldn't sfind it, the receptionist offered to go out of the hotel & look for me. Eventually found it without his help though but it was nice of him to suggest it. There are no elevators and this hotel has steep stairs - I was on the 3rd floor.
The breakfast in the morning was nice - light but enough for me. Free coffee is always good - though it actually was good coffee.
I was there in the summer - no air cond but the room was large, had huge doors out to balconies (2 balconies overlooking the square) and high ceiling so everything was breezy. Beds comfortable, room was clean & spacious, small but adequate bathroom. It was very affordable & I didn't expect luxury. It was better than I expected, given the price. My only con was one door to the balcony actually slipped off its hinges & was about to fall off as I was opening it. Needless to say, I closed it quickly & was afraid the glass doors would come crashing down over my bed but it stuck well enough that I didn't call maintenance but also didn't dare open it again.
I stayed for 3 nights. Great location by the main square but very loud & busy during the day until early hours of the morning. Quartets playing classical music outside the window along with the huge market area and busy restaurants & pubs during the day and late night partiers in the square until 2am - can be great atmosphere or hell for some people. I didn't hear anything next door to me but I heard everything going outside the balcony windows. It did not interfere with my sleep but this is not the hotel for light sleepers. This is a great place for young travellers with a budget but not for anyone looking for peace & quiet and definitely not a hotel for families with young kids.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Lahinch, Ireland
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Stayed here for 1 night with a group of friends. Very central and close to all amenities. Had a double en-suite room overlooking the market square. Room was fine, bathroom on the small side. Could have done with an extra bed throw/blanket and the heating system was not great. Bit noisy on the street but calmed down around 2 or 3 in the morning. Probably not a hotel to stay in longer than 2 nights. Breakfast was ok, continental all the way. Cleanliness was fine also.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Colorado
Reviewed December 30, 2009

I chose this hotel based largely on the hundreds of reviews here on trip advisor and elsewhere. I am so dissapointed, partly that hundreds of travelers let me down, and partly that I got sucked in to it based on those reviews.

I chose the Moon based on location and it's decent price for this part of the city. Yes, it was nice and close to everything. Yes, it's price was about 1 score euros less than other hotels around the same plaza, but when can understand the words of guests living under, above, and to both sides of me....location goes out the window. The walls of this motel were hands down the worst part of this stay, and it's truely nothing that will improve until the motel gets a complete remodel, or they make it into a nice flat for a wealthy family.

Being in the middle of brussels was great...no long metro, tram, or bus rides home after enjoying the brews, just a walk through safe-feeling streets to the quaint plaza around which the hotel is situated. But after I get into my room, I don't want to feel like I'm still at the bar.

We were there on a Sunday & Monday night. I'd hate to be here on a friday-Saturday night. And I need to be very very clear...when I saw my fellow guests in the mornings, they were not the partying type at all...what I heard at night was simply domestic life behind closed doors..."how about that grand place light show? I really enjoyed the lambec...stuff like that."

So, until this place puts in some soundproofing, and if you enjoy your 5 hours of beauty sleep before waking up and having a few frites and gaufres for breakfast, do yourself a favor and find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Brussels hotels

Cleveland, OH
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I stayed at the Moon Hotel on November 27th & 28th. It's less than a 10 min walk from Central Station. Check-in was quick and easy. My single room was clean and adequate. The free breakfast jumpstart my days of sightseeing. The biggest plus of this small hotel is how close it is to The Grand Place, literally right around the corner. Little cafes are all around.My only drawback was the noise. I was able to hear people in the adjoining room pretty clearly but for 55 euro a night, I would definitely return!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank itravelaround
UK
Reviewed November 13, 2009

Don't waste your money, it's in great spot, but it's not worth the trouble of the terrible customer service and over charging.

They quote prices on their website, allow you to book then massively increase the prices. They are basically scoundrels and i wouldn't risk sending any bank details through etc. We sent our details through and waited for confirmation, waited and waited for a weeks while they ignored us. When we phoned they were rude and said they wouldn't be able to confirm a room yet (this was two weeks before travelling - if they had just said they had no room we would have just been able to look else where), so we e-mailed and they then came back with a room at massively increased prices. Then when we asked why they just ignored us. It's just not worth the hassle. Our friends who did stay there were not impressed at all and were overcharged on their credit card.

risk it at your peril

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dunc01
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed November 9, 2009

I stayed here with my husband and sister in law. We booked a three person room, which offered one double bed, and a single...which was perfect for our scenario. The hotel is located in a nice little square, with pubs and restaruants and plenty of little shops very close. It is literally right around the corner from Grand Place, and we walked to the Musical Instrument Museum, and the Comic Strip Museum (Brussels is an extremely walkable city, as you will find out). The Moon is the perfect place to explore the city from. The only complaints I have are the noisy neighbors (screaming baby next door, clomping upstairs), and the heat shut off half way through the night, so it was freezing. But, I don't think the noisy people can be helped, and maybe it was user error for the heat. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget. They have free internet too! Also, we drove to Brussels, and there is a parking garage across the square from the Moon. So convenient! The breakfast was included and was pretty basic, don't expect a full on bacon and eggs spread. But it was included in the already economical price, so it is what it is.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed October 28, 2009

A friend booked this hotel as she had stayed here numerous times and said the location was great, and it is, right off the Grande Place, overlooking a little square where they have a market. We were close to restaurants, nightlife, attractions, the station to get the buses for the hop on hop off tours to mention a few, and it was a deal for the price! The hotel is basic, but clean with comfortable beds and deffinitely met our needs. Also, they allowed us to leave our bags there on the last day as our flight was late at night, giving us a chance to do more sightseeing without the hassle of heavy bags. I would deffinitely recommend this hotel, great price and the best location (we basically walked everywhere for the weekend, it was so good!)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends