“Amazing service, beautiful rooms, and friendly staff”
Review of FunKey Hotel

FunKey Hotel
Ranked #8 of 199 Hotels in Brussels
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We had an amazing weekend away in Brussels thanks to the FunKey Hotel. Their clever cell phone system not only gets you into the hotel and your room but you have a working cell phone in Belgium during your stay. The staff was helpful with suggestions of what to see/eat and even were kind enough to drive us to the center of Brussels and show us around. Talk about above and beyond the call of duty. In addition, there is a kitchen with food and drinks available 24/7 as well as tablets you can borrow. Couldn't ask for more. Thank you for the memorable hotel experience and we will definitely recommend your hotel with flying colors!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I just made a bold statement in my title, but it's absolutely 100% true. I found this place on the blog cheeseweb.eu and I'm really glad I did. Their advertisement is solely word of mouth marketing, and this concept is working. I could not have asked for a better stay. I had been in touch with the FunKey staff a few months before my actual visit to Brussels, and they really went above and beyond with the customer service. I already knew my stay was going to be excellent, and they somehow exceeded my expectations. My friend and I stayed for two nights in the small room (which is actually quite large!). This place is so cool; it's sort of a hybrid between a hostel and hotel. So if you like the hostel atmosphere but are not in the mood to stay in a dorm, this is the place. The rates are excellent too and not much different than the local hostel rates. The key is a mobile phone. So you actually have your own local mobile to use the entire time (even outside of the hotel). There is a common area with board games and a kitchen that has food out ALL DAY... and it's free! But the absolute best part is the staff. My friend and I were heading out to explore, and the owner, Philippe, asked us if we needed a ride. We were so blown away by his kindness, and he took it one step further and even took the initiative of being our personal tour guide for a bit! What a beautiful experience. To be shown around the city we were visiting, by a local... who happens to be the owner of our hotel! This is a very special hotel, not to be missed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maria S
Reviewed November 26, 2013

A total different concept of hotel.
Young staff giving you a warm welcome, functional deco but nice and comfy. The rooms with live colors give a young and easygoing atmophesre. Cleanliness is all around, and spaces are well organized.
You'll find everything you need for a continental breakfast. The free drinks / coffee at the lobby during your stay are of course a +++

Certainly to come back :-)

Best greeting from Barcelona.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have stayed at the Funkey on more than one occasion and will definitely go back. Philippe treats his guests as visitors to his home and his ethos is reflected in the staff members.
Although the location is not ideally very close to a tube station, Philippe himself very often will pick up guests from the station. Also, the staff are happy to arrange taxis at short notices.
The hotel is fresh, clean and just feels like a home away from home!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I often have to come to Brussels for work and end up staying in truly horrid places that are 'reasonably priced'. FunKey is a complete breath of fresh air! Incredibly reasonably priced, with great sized rooms, brilliant water pressure in the showers, modern finishes, a great breakfast spread and fantastic staff. I really was blown away. I love that the owner has put such a personal touch into the hotel and is around every evening - and even offered to drive us to dinner one night because it was raining and he said it was too miserable out to walk! I also loved that he has put real thought into this place and the type of experience that he wants his guests to have. Very unusual for a hotel indeed! I really would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone going to Brussels.

Room Tip: I stayed int he cheapest room option and was really very impressed with the size.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have stayed in many different hotels and B&B's around Europe, only when I stayed with FunKey I had that warm and fuzzy feeling. The rooms are spacious and clean, with all the essentials for a comfortable stay. The work station is small, which is intentional to encourage guests to spend more time in the lobby. And the lobby is where all the magic happens. The Funkey team is welcoming, friendly and always around to share a laugh and lend a helping hand. For all the service you expected to get, the team always go one step beyond. The owner, Philippe, is the mastermind behind it all. Philippe picked me up personally from the airport in his "Funkey express", I had missed my connecting flight, but Philippe insisted on picking me up despite the last minute change of plan. He's knowledgeable and passionate about what he does. He's also a people magnet, through him, I have met one of the most interesting person I know and we even had a movie premier in the hotel lobby.
Funkey had only started in 2013 but I'm certain with what it has to offer it will go far. It will be my go-to hotel in Brussels from now now, and Philippe, keep up the amazing work and you are not far from "Butler James"!

1  Thank Sally Z
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I purposely haven't read any of the other reviews yet because I want to give my unvarnished opinion. The owner of the hotel, Phillip, had a bed & breakfast and now launched the Funkey Hotel. While the rooms are immaculate with comfortable beds, the lack of extensive work space is intentional. He wants to encourage guests to avail themselves of large open areas where they can not only work but get to know each other. Free drinks (even beer!) are always available, as are snacks. And the staff is like family, incredibly friendly and accommodating, always above and beyond the call of duty.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone without hesitation. It's what traveling should be about. It combines the best element of a B&B or hostel yet leaves the option for privacy if desired. But I found that both the staff and guests were a joy to interact with. Bravo, Phillip and the Funkey team!

Tom Blees