“Absolutely brilliant!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 200 Hotels in Brussels
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I often have to come to Brussels for work and end up staying in truly horrid places that are 'reasonably priced'. FunKey is a complete breath of fresh air! Incredibly reasonably priced, with great sized rooms, brilliant water pressure in the showers, modern finishes, a great breakfast spread and fantastic staff. I really was blown away. I love that the owner has put such a personal touch into the hotel and is around every evening - and even offered to drive us to dinner one night because it was raining and he said it was too miserable out to walk! I also loved that he has put real thought into this place and the type of experience that he wants his guests to have. Very unusual for a hotel indeed! I really would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone going to Brussels.

Room Tip: I stayed int he cheapest room option and was really very impressed with the size.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have stayed in many different hotels and B&B's around Europe, only when I stayed with FunKey I had that warm and fuzzy feeling. The rooms are spacious and clean, with all the essentials for a comfortable stay. The work station is small, which is intentional to encourage guests to spend more time in the lobby. And the lobby is where all the magic happens. The Funkey team is welcoming, friendly and always around to share a laugh and lend a helping hand. For all the service you expected to get, the team always go one step beyond. The owner, Philippe, is the mastermind behind it all. Philippe picked me up personally from the airport in his "Funkey express", I had missed my connecting flight, but Philippe insisted on picking me up despite the last minute change of plan. He's knowledgeable and passionate about what he does. He's also a people magnet, through him, I have met one of the most interesting person I know and we even had a movie premier in the hotel lobby.
Funkey had only started in 2013 but I'm certain with what it has to offer it will go far. It will be my go-to hotel in Brussels from now now, and Philippe, keep up the amazing work and you are not far from "Butler James"!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sally Z
Woodland, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I purposely haven't read any of the other reviews yet because I want to give my unvarnished opinion. The owner of the hotel, Phillip, had a bed & breakfast and now launched the Funkey Hotel. While the rooms are immaculate with comfortable beds, the lack of extensive work space is intentional. He wants to encourage guests to avail themselves of large open areas where they can not only work but get to know each other. Free drinks (even beer!) are always available, as are snacks. And the staff is like family, incredibly friendly and accommodating, always above and beyond the call of duty.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone without hesitation. It's what traveling should be about. It combines the best element of a B&B or hostel yet leaves the option for privacy if desired. But I found that both the staff and guests were a joy to interact with. Bravo, Phillip and the Funkey team!

Tom Blees

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is JUST the COOLEST hotel that I had ever been to, with no doubt!!! Everything, I mean EVERYTHING is so perfect and amazing.
Funkey: When you arrive at the hotel, you will receive a 'hi-tech' mobile, with unlimited calls within the city. it is also the KEY to the front gate and the door of your room.
Room: big, clean, well-decorated, comfortable bed, large pillowcase.
Shower: strong water.
Eat: breakfast is great and generous. snacks & beverages are served 24/7 for FREE!!
Leisure: plenty of room and various kinds of card & board games for you to hang out and play.
Price: can anyone find the same price with this kind of place and service at anywhere?!
Staff: don't even get me started with the staff crew. Philippe and his team are SO friendly and with SO much fun. We're picked up at the airport and given a ride into town, Philippe also helped us purchase the sim card and instructed how to play the board game. Valerie and Guillaume have helped me a lot on the reservation and billing stuff. BIG THANK YOU to you all!!
Brussels is our first stop of our Europe trip, and starting with Funkey is JUST the right choice.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Hospitality is indeed key to Philippe and his team, a skill that is often lacking in hotels these days. Everything is taken to the next level here in terms of welcome, comfort, price. There are no hidden costs re. rooms. Free snacks & beverages are available 24/7, breakfast is generous, a variety of board games etc. is available for adults and kids. The rooms are colorful and fun, great use of space - the headboard turns into a bed, large pillowcases hold duvets - and only their cheapest room is smaller. All other rooms are huge compared to other Brussels hotels. Toiletries are basic but smelled delicious. Free parking & wifi! Easy access to the airport and the city center, quiet neighborhood. Philippe has developed a really cool concept where the guest will never just be a number. Don’t hesitate, check out the FunKey website and book your room!

Room Tip: In summer, rooms overlooking the courtyard/garden may be a bit more noisy (nice view though!).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed at the FunKey hotel for four nights and had an amazing time. Philippe gave us a ride into town on our first night (free of charge of course) and recommended some great places to go. The hotel is full of fun games and stuff on the wall - we had fun playing Molkky in the garden one afternoon - and the room came with a 'beamer' (projector screen) and a Chromebook to plug into it. All in all, a very unique and fun place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I travel quite a bit, and I'm not sure I can name a time we felt more hospitality in any hotel than our 2 night stay at the FunKey. Philippe (and his staff!) is simply the best. He has been planning this hotel for years (as he told us) and the attention to detail to make visitors feel welcome, at home, and downright happy is unsurpassed in my experiences.

This was our first time to Brussels, and we were arriving late evening from London and in the rain. I cannot express the appreciation we felt having Philippe meet us at the train station and take us to the hotel. It gave us a chance to hear more about his background and vision, see some of the surrounding area, and it set the table for an amazing next day (courtesy of some great suggestions from Philippe himself).

My only complaint is that there is not yet a FunKey in the United States! The accommodations were super, from the comfortable and modern conveniences in the room, to the fun decor and games, stocked refrigerators and food available 24x7, I could go on for pages. We have a house in the NYC area (Jersey Shore), and we will continue to push for that 2016 FunKey NYC opening! To Philippe and staff - Bravo! We have already told people about your place, and hopefully will send people your way (including some musicians!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family