“Good vegetarian meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Abrussel

Abrussel
Ranked #37 of 3,519 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian, European, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Open from monday until sunday for lunch and dinner. ABrussel is a small restaurant only working with a small menu who is changing every month. Cuisine is simple, with a classic or more inventive choice. There is always a vegetarian choice available, as a Fish and a Belgian choice. We try to make our service friendly but not strict. Abrussel kids groups until 55 person. Possibility of privatisation of the first floor or the whole restaurant.
“Good vegetarian meal”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Dined here on a recent visit to Brussels - I enjoyed the Gnocchi grated with Belgian cheeses for a main course and had the goat cheese croquettes. My co-workers tried a variety of items on the menu, and the only complaint we had was most of us were too full to have dessert! The one person who had the Mussels and fries could not finish the portion he was served.

I would dine here again if I came to Brussels.

1 Thank goldoftime

Ottawa, Canada
“Great!”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here last month after seeing good reviews here. We weren't disappointed! Their menu changes every month to incorporate seasonal ingredients: I had the goat cheese croquettes and they were AMAZING! My main dish was the codfish - it was alright. My boyfriend had the mussels and fries and enjoyed them. Service was friendly and quick. After our meal we had a beautiful evening walk to the Grand Place nearby. Quite a lovely evening - would return!

Brussels, Belgium
“What a disappointment...”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

First impression when entering the restaurant: small, crowded. Tables are very close one to another; you basically have no privacy. But I stayed optimist because the restaurant is so highly rated...
We took the menu of the month. First course: Foie gras en javanais de Joconde noisette. The taste was...like the one you buy from supermarket...and guess why? Because it was from the supermarket!
They placed us right next to the kitchen and we observed the way they "cook": the foie gras was basically put in the microwave in plastic!!! (original plastic pack from supermarket), heated, cut, nicely arranged and served to the customers!
Still, I was hoping for a better main course: Moules frites (creme sauce).
First impression was that they smell strange. Second one that they don't have any cream sauce. Still, I started to eat...the taste was not good at all. I noticed then that some moules are not clean...they had algues, dirt...
I stopped eating them. I gotta mention that even though the personnel was nice, they did not bother to ask why I did not eat the damn moules! Because they were terrible!
I observed later that the moules, too, are taken from big plastic bags from supermarket. If only they would bother to clean them well...
Initially, I rated the restaurant with 2 stars because the dessert was good (Croustillant d’amandes et gingembre confit). But now that I remembered that the other two courses were that bad...no way...this restaurant should be avoided! If not closed!
By the way, I was sick all night. Probably because of the moules!

3 Thank Miruna M
Marc l, Propriétaire at Abrussel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I dont understand why so much people love the restaurant and someone write it is so bad...
Maybe is it just concurent jalousy???
It's ok, but I'll still answer of lauthing thing I read:

First: the restaurant is small, right. crowded? tables make 70/70 cm when most restaurant have tables of 60/60. Not a lot of space between tables but just try the some three stars restaurants to see if so different or go once in Paris...

Second: foie gras come from the supermarket and is warmed up in the microwave???? Photos???
Foie gras is cold and I don't know if you ever put gely in the microwave but.... it spoke from itself I think...
I just invite you to come in the afternoon to see how I prepare the foie gras (denerving, let it marinated, baking, making the joconde biscuit, the cacao gely) because when you write something, you have to be sure what you say.....

Third: I give you maybe one right and it is that I remember that once I forgot the cream in the moules frites ( I saw it when I closed the restaurant because I always verify all the orders) but why didn't you tell the waiter??? (mastakes happens sometime to every one of us...)
Other thing: of course I by the moules and don't do elevate them in the garden... I by them everyday in packs of 5kg (at the special "supermarket" for restaurants.) That way I'm sure they are always fresh and clean (there is like in supermarkets a date on them).
If you were sick, it may be because of the moules of course, but also maybe because of the stress you had that day (to be so bad you must have be stressed or annoyed...)

I recomand you next time to go at the "rue des bouchers" where you will sure say the food is excellent and all home made... as your critics seems to be just oposite to majority ;-)
Signaler une réponse inappropriée
Cette réponse est l'opinion subjective du représentant de la direction et non de TripAdvisor
B
“nice people but... problem with the quality of food”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

we got there as it was well rated on tripadvisor. gentle people, small restaurant on two level, the rez de chausse is more cozy.
food was the problem.
the menu is well affordable, presentation is nice, but ingredient lack of quality.
some dishes were acceptable other had a bad taste and unfortunately we took a couple of dishes with fish/fruits de mer ...immediately after we felt both sick with stomach pain, after one hour we both were at the toilet...
bad experience not to repaeat

1 Thank NicoArdi
Brussels, Belgium
“Friendly staff , well located, great food and cosy ambiance”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Really what can you ask for, when you are in the city for a few days and you want to have a nice meal with he person you love?

I went there with my wife and we had such a nice evening. I had the duck with Belgian cheese as a starter, followed by a steak frites ! I liked the starter very much, even though this cheese is an acquired taste. The Steak was as I expected and the "frites" were freshly made (and believe me it makes a huge difference). My, wife had the mussels and she was smiling all along the dinner, enough said :).

After a dessert we had the pleasure to meet the Chef who came to our table. Such a nice person with a clear passion for what he does.

Obviously, except for a few "classic" the menu is changing every month - So be prepared for some creativity and "thinking outside of the box" - All of this for a very modest price compare to many restaurant near the Grand place (Yes, this restaurant is literally next to the Brussels' Grand place).

So yes I think it is an excellent place and would definitely recommend it !

Tips:

There is a second floor, so even if it looks full from the outside, you might want to ask if there a table free upstairs !

• Visited September 2013