“Simply the best bites in Brussels.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Abrussel

Abrussel
Ranked #38 of 3,522 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Belgian, European, International
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Open from monday until sunday for lunch and dinner. ABrussel is a small restaurant only working with a small menu who is changing every month. Cuisine is simple, with a classic or more inventive choice. There is always a vegetarian choice available, as a Fish and a Belgian choice. We try to make our service friendly but not strict. Abrussel kids groups until 55 person. Possibility of privatisation of the first floor or the whole restaurant.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply the best bites in Brussels.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

This was the clear highlight of our days in Brussels. Started with the capraccio. Best I have EVER had. Very cozy small spot that was an absolute pleasure to eat at.

• Visited July 2013

Montreal, Canada
“Good good but nothing special.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here on our first night due to its high TA rating. We started with the beef carpaccio with horseradish espuma and wasabi cream. Delightful: I was getting ready for a strong wasabi taste that would unblock my sinuses but instead it was fluffy and light, like a cloud with a hint of wasabi. I did not try the other appetizers but this one was very nice and recommended. All the while drinking 'Taras Boulba' beer - a local Belgian beer, we relaxed away from the hustle and bustle of Grand Place.

For the main courses, my wife had fish (monk fish) in an Indian sauce. She felt that it was well-prepared but just OK ( I tried it and agreed that the sauce was good but was not memorable). I on the other hand had a straightforward regular steak and fries - a Belgian standard. It's hard to differentiate a great steak from an ok steak but I would say this one rates as 'Well-prepared' with a simple and delicious green-pepper sauce. The fries were typical Belgian fare. All in all, we rated the main meal as good food, above average, but, we could not really understand its high TA rating as the tastes were ordinary.

For dessert, I had the raspberry and black and white chocolate custard. It was not what I expected and we were happily surprised: the chocolate and white whipped cream made it very light and the strawberries gave it an added taste. We rated it 'nice'.

In summary, with the nice staff, we can say that you will not go wrong with this restaurant but don't expect to be "WOW'ed"'.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jeff_Proulx
San Francisco, California
“Sadly, it was just average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had really high hopes for Abrussel, because it was ranked #5 out of 1,800+ restaurants in Brussels, so we went there for our one and only dinner in Brussels, and I was sadly disappointed. We did get seated 20 minutes before our reservation time, which was nice, but then we didn't get drinks for at least 30 minutes. We were seated upstairs, which was really hot & stuffy. Our entrees came 90 minutes after we ordered, and there was just this hour gap between our first courses and our second. The server was EXTREMELY nice, and did apologize profusely about the delay. I think they were just short staffed that night. I'm hoping this was just an exception for me, because to get this ranking seems like a miss after our experience. And the food ... I would give it very average, nothing special. I wouldn't go back if I'm every in Brussels again.

• Visited June 2013
Marc l, Propriétaire at Abrussel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Just to say, sorry for that, as I said in the last french review (from the same day), it was'nt the good day as it sometime happend, and I didn't know about all what happened to you.

To all of you: never hesitate to tell the boss when something wrong happend because the waiter or waitress often "forget" to tell him...

for example:
It is hot and stuffy upstairs? there is just climatisation to put "on", but please... ASK!
Aurora, Illinois
“Excellent Value. Great Food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Down the street from the Grand Place (and the Hard Rock Cafe...didn't know HRC even existed anymore) is a cozy restaurant with a great deal. 22 Euros for a starter, main course and dessert. Sign me up. There were a handful of choices for each course and everything was tasty. The steak and frites were a clear winner. The service was good. Our server was not in a hurry, but neither were we. The chef came out at the end of our meal to make sure we were happy with our meal. We were. And we would recommend the restaurant in the future.

• Visited June 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Trendy and fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant is small but comfortable. The food was simple but elegant. We had a great experience and would certainly consider going back.

Visited June 2013