“Rude staff”

Cafe Maison du Peuple
Ranked #518 of 3,522 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, European, Belgian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brisbane, Australia
“Rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stopped in here on the way to the train station. Staff were rude, one man told me to 'shhh' so he could answer his phone. And even though he new I only spoke English he continued to speak French to me and smile weirdly. I don't know if I want to know what he was actually saying. When I went to order drinks he ignored me for a while but was staring still. And it wasn't just me, they left others waiting too while they joked around and ate food from the kitchen. Another lady had to ask if she could get served please as they all kept staring at her but just ignoring her. Food was ok. Just a small selection but was fairly tastey. €8.80 for a small salad.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Emkaloma

• Hebrew first
“One of my best places in Bx”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Yes, it gets amazing place once you get pass the "ordering at the bar" and "slow Belgian service" and "staff having their own fun". You just have to accept it's the soul of this place. Frankly, I love their lasagna, salads, coffee and even more, I love their mojito (and I DON'T like mojito in general). I love this place. But if you want to love, you will have to breath with it. Don't come with your own expectations.

• Visited April 2013
Brussels, Belgium
“Drink Yes - Food No - Service No”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

I am giving the Cafe Maison du Peuple 'Two Stars' because I have enjoyed having coffee or drinks there in the past.

Five of us went there last Sunday for brunch. We all had had good drink experiences in the past (if you can get beyond the endless wait for service).

However, 15 minutes waiting at an empty bar for rude service (even by Belgian standards), 30 minutes to be served microwave re-heated Lasagna that was frankly disgusting was far beyond my already very low expectations.

And when I say rude, I mean looking down from their poor imitation hippie sense of superiority rude bordering on aggressive at my Buddhist calm.

Misery loves company: we were five at our table and half a dozen at at the table next to ours (that were asked to move in the middle of their meal, because the staff wanted to shift some tables around, in the half empty place).

On the plus side: the cost of drinks is low.
The value for money of the food has gone down the drain with the quality.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank George S
“Bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

With a group of five we had lunch on a sunny Sunday at Maison du peuple. The waiters at this place were clearly not in the mood to work. Customers have to order at the bar, annoying if no one informs you about it, and count on waiting another ten minutes because staff is too occupied with chatting to each other. The plate of three antipasti appetizers is tiny for the excessive price of 7 euros. Moreover, it took them no less than 45 minutes to serve microwave heated lasagna, of which the core was still frozen. If you still decide to go there after this review, do remember not to sit at a terrace table too close to the building, unless you’d like to be a target for pigeon droppings.
In short, when looking for a place to have lunch in Brussels: avoid this place!

Visited April 2013
3 Thank Kwain_83
Sassenheim, The Netherlands
“Crowded cafe, self service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

It took a minute for us to realize that we had to order at the counter, since most cafes in Brussels do not use this method. Very good coffee, the quiche was tasteful and the croque monsieur good. Fair prices, good value.

• Visited November 2012